Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 18-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Royalite

God's Image Man?

I'm curious, when people read the scripture, do you all get an image of a man as being God? Like a white beard, etc? I have heard this before but I have never gotten that image.

When I look around I feel like God is everywhere but I don't get an image of him as a being outside of me per se that is a "man". Yeah I read the stories of Jesus but I don't see him as any more of an image of God as any one else. I believe we're all gods and saints and buddhas or whatever else you want to call it. But I do wonder where the image of a "man" as God came from.

Shed some light here please.
Old 18-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Master
It comes from the Book of Daniel where Christians associate the "Son of Man" on God's throne who is later Jesus the God-Man. So many simple minds see God as the man Jesus and that is it.

This is foolish. The image of God is Christ. It is stamped on every soul and it is both adam "divine reason" and eve "divine feeling", thus Man is made in the image of his Father/Mother God as the offspring or Son.

It was not until the entity we know as Jesus became the Christ and ascended into the realm of the Father beyond all creation and was seated "united" with Him. Thus he always said you would see the Son of man seated in glory and power which meant that Man's consciousness would be lifted up into God's consciousness and they shall be one.

Jesus made one the divine and human natures. A lot like Buddha, Jesus created a middle way to balance the two sides.

This is why I find Yogis and many Hindu swami/spiritualists to be INSANE! They all see sex as a vile instrument, they never communicate with the "world", and hide in the Himalayas, much good their doing for mankind and themselves
Old 26-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Zenith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamist
I'm curious, when people read the scripture, do you all get an image of a man as being God? Like a white beard, etc? I have heard this before but I have never gotten that image.

Hey there,

When I attempt to envisage God I imagine Him as a universal fire or light, who dwells in the celestial spheres. I do not see anything wrong with envisaging him in the form of a man, however. The Bible is rife with anthropomorphisms, and the depiction of God as a man; I particularly like Ezekiel 8's portrayal of the Lord as a man of fire (Ezekiel 8.2). We must, however, remember that even if God is embodied in a form, he nevertheless pervades all space and all of creation (1 Chr. 8.27, 2 Ch. 2.6).

God bless
Old 29-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Daniel227

our image

God is within and outside everyone and everything, Gods presence is everlasting throughout the whole universes and every unknown place there is God. The bible tell us that God created us in Gods own image. we are the image of life and everything of it. Go to google and type "universe and brain cell" then go to images, look at that image. That is what it meant to be made in Gods image. the bible also says Psalms 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork." every mystery and every truth to everything that ever was, is, and will be(God) can be understood and found in each and every one of us, by us.
Old 29-03-2011, 05:03 PM
HBuck72

I believe that the belief that God looks like man, also comes from the book of Genesis, where god created man in "our image" (Gen. 1:26). I think that believing that God is somehow an old man floating around on a cloud with a naughty and nice list, like Santa Clause, is juvenile. Those who believe in that "form" of God are only trying to place human attributes on God. While God created man he is beyond the form of man. God created the entire universe, and is therefore intertwined with all of creation, so he/she/it is essentially formless, or atleast only bound by the form of the unversite that it created.
Old 29-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Neville

It's a metaphor to me.

The Creator creates and destroys the created also create and destroy. wheels within wheels ! This is the image
Old 29-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBuck72
I believe that the belief that God looks like man, also comes from the book of Genesis, where god created man in "our image" (Gen. 1:26).

That's because the phrase בְּצֶלֶם אֱלֹהִים is, in a sense, difficult to translate because it has shades (pun intended) of meaning.

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Fire7

When I was a kid, and I heard the term "God", the instant image that came to my mind was a huge kind of white/somewhat transparent or elusive being in the sky--with kind of an Elvis hairdo--in the sky, kind of blending in with the clouds. For whatever reason, this was my view of Him. As I got older, I pictured him as a huge giant with white beard, who resembled the traditional depictions of Jesus--just a more ancient looking version.

I think my view was mostly influenced by tradition.

Your view of G-d will depend on what you believe about religion, philosophy, and the bible--how accurate and true you believe the bible to be.

The G-d of the bible is a tri-part being--one God in three persons (individuals, if you will) with each part of Him complimenting the other. Each part of Him has a different function, and therefore, will have a different image. The Father is the biggest part of the trinity. The bible says that the Heaven of Heavens cannot contain Him. Therefore, the Father (more the MIND of God than anything) has no single form, for all things are encompassed by Him--He is more of a law or code than a physical matter. Jesus Christ is the human representation of the Godhead. He said in the bible, "If you've seen me, you have seen the father." The H-ly Spirit, being the most sacred (so much that every sin can be forgiven but the sin of speaking against Him) representation of the Godhead, is more the POWER--life force of G-d. The bible speaks of G-d as an "all consuming fire!" I imagine G-d's Spirit being similar to the burning fireball called the sun, in space--just MUCH BIGGER and brighter! The bible also speaks of Him, synonymously, as WIND and WATER. I picture the H-ly Spirit as a being who changes form and uses the elements to represent G-d's flowing, intricate nature.

This is my current view of G-d.