Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 AM
Titanoboa

Question God & Goddess

I know many who only go for Lord & Lady, but I like to have an image of both of my deities. Therefore, how do I know for certain, which God & Goddess is calling me from any pantheons? Also, I would like to know who are your God & Goddess?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:02 AM
Master

When you're being "called" you will know. I realize that that's not what you particularly wanted to hear - but it's true. Everyone who I have met who has been claimed by a deity has said the same thing - including myself. You'll be given signs, dreams and other things will happen that point to who is calling you. For me the whole process was very intense but well worth experiencing.

I went for over twenty five years in the Craft before being called/claimed by my patron deity.......so you need to have patience. Not everyone waits that long, of course.

In the meantime do some research and learn about the gods and goddesses of the different pantheons. A good question to ask is what pantheon are you drawn to - Celtic, Greek, Norse etc. etc. One way to determine which pantheon of gods and goddesses would be a good one for you is - do you have any connections to the part of the world where these deities originate from. Then perhaps choose a deity that you think you'd like to have a close relationship with and set up your altar in a way that would be pleasing to him/her, then call them in to your circle (I'm presuming that you know how to cast a circle?). See how their energy feels to you - would you want to continue working and honouring this deity?

Both of my deities are Celtic but before I was called to them I honoured and had a relaltionship with one or two deities from different pantheons which very well.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Master
I think it is a mistake to assign gender to deities. OK to give them masculine and feminine characteristics/aspects but they can have both.
The deity that I always have responded to is Gaia, Mother Earth but lately, I have moved away from deities all together in favour of Spirits of Nature in general and one guide in particular. Historically, my path has always been associated with animism and local nature spirits rather than deities.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Titanoboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
When you're being "called" you will know. I realize that that's not what you particularly wanted to hear - but it's true. Everyone who I have met who has been claimed by a deity has said the same thing - including myself. You'll be given signs, dreams and other things will happen that point to who is calling you. For me the whole process was very intense but well worth experiencing.

I went for over twenty five years in the Craft before being called/claimed by my patron deity.......so you need to have patience. Not everyone waits that long, of course.

In the meantime do some research and learn about the gods and goddesses of the different pantheons. A good question to ask is what pantheon are you drawn to - Celtic, Greek, Norse etc. etc. One way to determine which pantheon of gods and goddesses would be a good one for you is - do you have any connections to the part of the world where these deities originate from. Then perhaps choose a deity that you think you'd like to have a close relationship with and set up your altar in a way that would be pleasing to him/her, then call them in to your circle (I'm presuming that you know how to cast a circle?). See how their energy feels to you - would you want to continue working and honouring this deity?

Both of my deities are Celtic but before I was called to them I honoured and had a relaltionship with one or two deities from different pantheons which very well.

Thanks for your input Jenny. Is it best for both the God and Goddess have a connection with each other? Say I work with the Greek pantheon, and the Goddess Hecate calls upon me. Hecate is known as a virgin Goddess, and the God Pan calls on me. Will both get along? Would it be fine having separate altars? Also, the wheel of the year is known for both the God and Goddess conjoining together, how will that affect both Hecate and Pan?

Quote:
I think it is a mistake to assign gender to deities. OK to give them masculine and feminine characteristics/aspects but they can have both.
The deity that I always have responded to is Gaia, Mother Earth but lately, I have moved away from deities all together in favour of Spirits of Nature in general and one guide in particular. Historically, my path has always been associated with animism and local nature spirits rather than deities.

That's nice. I might consider this approach. After all, everything is created both masculine and feminine. I am wondering, do you celebrate the wheel of the year? If so, how do you celebrate without any deities? The wheel of the year is known for celebrating both God & Goddess.

Thanks again for your response Jenny Crow & Norseman.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orris Root
Thanks for your input Jenny. Is it best for both the God and Goddess have a connection with each other? Say I work with the Greek pantheon, and the Goddess Hecate calls upon me. Hecate is known as a virgin Goddess, and the God Pan calls on me. Will both get along? Would it be fine having separate altars? Also, the wheel of the year is known for both the God and Goddess conjoining together, how will that affect both Hecate and Pan?

Thanks again for your response Jenny Crow & Norseman.

It's usual that only one deity will call on you or claim you. To be honest I don't know how Pan and Hekate would get along but you can have separate altars if you wish. Hekate is usually thought of as being Greek but she's actually pre-Olympian, she's a Titan. And, incidentally, it was Gaia who gave birth to the Titans was it not, Norseman?

There are plenty of rites that can be used no matter what god and goddess you are committed to, though. From what you are posting I'm assuming that you are, or wish to be, Wiccan? Do you know which Wiccan tradition you want to follow?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Master
Gods and goddesses from the pantheons are all mostly just aspects of the God & Goddess... That's why the Romans (and Greeks etc etc) had many Gods & Goddesses. One for love, one for hearth & home, one for war, one for communication, one for death & the underworld and one for ... and ... etc

Yes, you can be called or feel strong affinity to work with one of them, but to me they are not THE God & Goddess... To me the God & Goddess represent the Source of everything. It also feels totally different when I call upon the Goddess from when I call upon another 'aspect' Goddess from a pantheon...
When I call upon the Goddess, I call directly upon Source itself.
And since the Source is neither masculine nor feminine, it is both and neither at the same time, it can represented by both a God and Goddess...

That's how it feels to me, can be different for everyone.

Working with one specific Goddess (or God), usually has to do with a process you're going through, or your Soul's path in this life.
If it's related to a process, the God & Goddess may be in your life for x amount of time, then disappear.
If they're connected to your Soul's path, your goal in this life, they are likely to stay with you for life.

As for the pantheons, just feel which one appeals to you. And you don't have to stick to one pantheon either. Each aspect is represented in every pantheon, like Aphrodite and Venus (Love) being basically the same, Hermes & Mercury (messenger, communication) are the same, Morrigu and Freya (war, death) are basically the same, Hestia & Vesta (Home & Hearth) are the same etc etc.

So you may very well work with Freya (Norse) and Hestia (Greek) and Venus (Roman) and Isis (Egyptian) at the same time. You do not have to stick to the one pantheon!

I've worked closely with The Morrigu (Celtic) for several years, not her death & war aspect though.
I didn't call for her specifically, she made herself known to me, mostly by my fascination for Raven...
Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
Gods and goddesses from the pantheons are all mostly just aspects of the God & Goddess...

That's how I felt when I first started out years and years ago but now, after performing ritual for so long and 'working' with different deities until I was called by my patron goddess, I realize that the gods and goddesses are very distinct from one another and not just an aspect. I am definitely a hard polytheist.

You say that working with a particular deity usually has to do with a process that you're going through or your soul's path in this life - yes I agree with this but I also believe it can be connected to a past life and also to the location of where you and your ancestors are from.

Working with more than one deity at the same time can be tricky - do you mean that for a particular rite you may call on one deity and another day/night when you're doing something else you may call on a different deity - yes I can see that working OK. However, I would never call into my circle deities from different pantheons for a ritual or rite - for one thing - would they get along? I have encountered first hand chaos, harm and destruction when deities from different pantheons were called into the circle for a rite.

However, if you're dedicated to a particular deity I find there's little need to call on a different god or goddess.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Titanoboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
It's usual that only one deity will call on you or claim you. To be honest I don't know how Pan and Hekate would get along but you can have separate altars if you wish. Hekate is usually thought of as being Greek but she's actually pre-Olympian, she's a Titan. And, incidentally, it was Gaia who gave birth to the Titans was it not, Norseman?

There are plenty of rites that can be used no matter what god and goddess you are committed to, though. From what you are posting I'm assuming that you are, or wish to be, Wiccan? Do you know which Wiccan tradition you want to follow?

Yes, Gaia created the Titans. Hecate helped Zeus defeat the Titans, granting her tremendous powers. I am following my path as an Eclectic.

Quote:
Gods and goddesses from the pantheons are all mostly just aspects of the God & Goddess... That's why the Romans (and Greeks etc etc) had many Gods & Goddesses. One for love, one for hearth & home, one for war, one for communication, one for death & the underworld and one for ... and ... etc

Yes, you can be called or feel strong affinity to work with one of them, but to me they are not THE God & Goddess... To me the God & Goddess represent the Source of everything. It also feels totally different when I call upon the Goddess from when I call upon another 'aspect' Goddess from a pantheon...
When I call upon the Goddess, I call directly upon Source itself.
And since the Source is neither masculine nor feminine, it is both and neither at the same time, it can represented by both a God and Goddess...

That's how it feels to me, can be different for everyone.

Working with one specific Goddess (or God), usually has to do with a process you're going through, or your Soul's path in this life.
If it's related to a process, the God & Goddess may be in your life for x amount of time, then disappear.
If they're connected to your Soul's path, your goal in this life, they are likely to stay with you for life.

As for the pantheons, just feel which one appeals to you. And you don't have to stick to one pantheon either. Each aspect is represented in every pantheon, like Aphrodite and Venus (Love) being basically the same, Hermes & Mercury (messenger, communication) are the same, Morrigu and Freya (war, death) are basically the same, Hestia & Vesta (Home & Hearth) are the same etc etc.

So you may very well work with Freya (Norse) and Hestia (Greek) and Venus (Roman) and Isis (Egyptian) at the same time. You do not have to stick to the one pantheon!

I've worked closely with The Morrigu (Celtic) for several years, not her death & war aspect though.
I didn't call for her specifically, she made herself known to me, mostly by my fascination for Raven...

I agree with Jenny, each Gods and Goddesses have their distinct personality. I find it interesting how both the God and Goddess may or may not stick around. Can you further explain this? What might be the reason for a God or Goddess to disappear? Thanks for you input.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Master

Some deities will come into your life at a certain time, basically when you need them or if they realize you have a particular thing to learn then when you are not needing them or you have learned what it was you needed to learn they will distance themselves after which you may find yourself without a specific deity for a while (could be a short while or a long while).

Some people are never dedicated to a particular deity but it doesn't mean you can't have a rich and meaningful spiritual life.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman

I feel like Norseman in that I connect with Gaia, and to a lesser extent, Green Man. I'm still new on my path and Gaia and nature are what called me to begin my journey. I have never been visited by any deity but I feel them inside.