Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 22-02-2013, 09:27 AM
God-Like

It's not even that ..

Hi Guys ..

Is anything what it appears or seems to be ..

x dazzle x
Old 22-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Master
Yes and no, we only know what we know as far as our senses allow us, that is on the level of the mind body organism.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Neville

Is anything what it appears or seems to be .. It certainly is.. to the beholder.

A thing is always what it appears and seems to you as you perceive it ,as you feel it, as you emotionally interact with it. A symbiotic relationship with ones environment..Life itself.

And it augments diversity, What is beautiful to one, may get another to avert their gaze.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:43 AM
God-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Yes and no, we only know what we know as far as our senses allow us, that is on the level of the mind body organism.

Wow robbie .. two conversations in as many days . lol .

Are you following me??

Anyhow these senses you speak of robbie, they are senses because we believe we have sense lol . What I mean is at some point through (physical mind body awareness/evolution) we gave meaning and yet more labels to identify what is .

We are only aware of the senses because we gave a name to them ..

So in some respect we have no sense .. only the sense we gave them ..

x daz x
Old 22-02-2013, 11:44 AM
God-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
Is anything what it appears or seems to be .. It certainly is.. to the beholder.

A thing is always what it appears and seems to you as you perceive it ,as you feel it, as you emotionally interact with it. A symbiotic relationship with ones environment..Life itself.

And it augments diversity, What is beautiful to one, may get another to avert their gaze.

I agree to the eyes of the beholder thing Nev, on some level but what is of a rose prior to what one has identified it to be .. We identify that the rose is a flower for instance because we gave a name to this particular species of life we identify that it can be white, red, pink, yellow etc in colour but it is only a label or a reference to what one has derived through names and labels .

Its only a prickly beautiful red rose cos we call it that .. What is it without the labels .. It’s not even a ‘nothing’ .. not even that .. lol

x daz x
Old 22-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like

Yes. Everything.
Old 22-02-2013, 12:57 PM
God-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchit
Yes. Everything.

Do you mean squatch that everything is only what it appears or seems to be ..

x daz x
Old 22-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Eudaimonist

Quote:

That all depends on just what you are asking.

The color blue isn't "in" the sky since color is an expression of the relationship between something (the sky in this case) and one's visual system. Blue, rather, is the manner in which one is aware of the sky.

However, I don't think that a table that appears square-shaped to us could in reality be circular, so I reject that sort of extreme Lockean representationalism.

Interestingly, getting back to the color issue, there is research that suggests that the words one uses to label colors may actually help shape one's experience of color. If you don't have a word for a particular color, you are likely to lump it into a different named color, and will have difficulty distinguishing between the two.

Anyway, my answer is "yes and no".

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 22-02-2013, 02:39 PM
God-Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudaimonist
That all depends on just what you are asking.

The color blue isn't "in" the sky since color is an expression of the relationship between something (the sky in this case) and one's visual system. Blue, rather, is the manner in which one is aware of the sky.

However, I don't think that a table that appears square-shaped to us could in reality be circular, so I reject that sort of extreme Lockean representationalism.

Interestingly, getting back to the color issue, there is research that suggests that the words one uses to label colors may actually help shape one's experience of color. If you don't have a word for a particular color, you are likely to lump it into a different named color, and will have difficulty distinguishing between the two.

Anyway, my answer is "yes and no".

eudaimonia,

Mark

Hi Mark ..

In a way the colour blue isn’t anywhere in essense .. only where we say and then notice that it is . . and we say it and notice it because we have labelled it so ..

.. it isn’t in fabric of the clothes I wear nor is it related to the sky and the sky be it something we have labelled as being the sky ..

Blue is labelled and then related to within mind like everything else .. A square table is not circular because we have labelled to that which is circular to a particular shape . A shape is we have labelled to identify a structure of sorts . A structure is another label for something it isn’t .. etc ...

Its interesting about the colours mark, I used to do colour work in a development circle where we would close our eyes and ‘feel’ colour in a variety of ways .. Yet again we are only sensing something that we are associating with to a colour ..

We are not in one sense sensing or feeling colour .. but we are applying what one has ascetained to something .. well not even that .. hehehe for something is a label .. doh ..

I am not suggesting however that things don’t exist but applying names/labels to what exists doesn’t make it what it says on the tin .

If it isn't what it says on the tin .. then what is it ..

It seems as if the oberver and the observed are one and the same and also the labeller and the label are one and the same also . And not even that .

x daz x

(not even daz)
Old 22-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Do you mean squatch that everything is only what it appears or seems to be ..

Hiya dazzle

I've no idea what I mean. I just wanted to be controversial.

Squiggle