Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 15-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Sighlense

What is the difference between a Prophet and Medium?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could go into some depth about the differences between a medium and a Prophet. So far from my internet researching i understand that Mediums speak to spirits and Prophets speak directly to God, but what are the other differences?

Thanks in advance,
Sighlense
Old 15-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Animus27

Mediums speak to the dead and spirits and don't have to be subject to the ruling or law of a god. While a prophet, in the Biblical view, is pretty much a person chosen by God to help lead people back to him through teaching and prophecy.

Most Christians would consider mediumship to be against God's laws concerning necromancy and divination.
Old 15-04-2012, 09:40 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighlense
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could go into some depth about the differences between a medium and a Prophet. So far from my internet researching i understand that Mediums speak to spirits and Prophets speak directly to God, but what are the other differences?

Thanks in advance,
Sighlense

Prophets live a life close to God and mediums are distant from God, set apart by obedience and a life according to God and Scripture, and function as a signpost leading the way to God. Mediums are looked upon as an abomination according to Scripture.
Old 15-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Prophets live a life close to God and mediums are distant from God, set apart by obedience and a life according to God and Scripture, and function as a signpost leading the way to God. Mediums are looked upon as an abomination according to Scripture.
Just a slight off-topic question, but it popped into my head - What do you think about modern day prophets? Or self-styled ones? What are the criteria in discovering who is false and true?
Old 16-04-2012, 12:09 AM
TeeHee

Biblical and modern day prophets are different such as the likes of Joseph Smith (I find that Mormons often avoid Hebrews at the door). I suppose Hebrews speaks of the times of old when God spoke through Prophets, but after the coming of the Son of God, Jesus Christ, I can't understand why God would speak through a Prophet. That's not saying the truth is still not revealed through people, but the test, if this is what you are asking, is whether what's said contradicts Scripture, rather than aligning with the words of the Lord. This is including the speakers lifestyle, as prophets are "men of God."
Hebrews 1:1-2

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
Old 16-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Sighlense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus27
Just a slight off-topic question, but it popped into my head - What do you think about modern day prophets? Or self-styled ones? What are the criteria in discovering who is false and true?

Interesting that you said that because i've been looking for some "Modern-Day" prophets online and can find very very few. Of course theyre out there, we've all seen them, but i find it interesting that theyre not "Out There" like say,some mediums/psychics are.
Old 16-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Gracey

what if someone is both?
Old 16-04-2012, 12:28 AM
TeeHee

How can one contradict the words of the Lord, that's what Jesus spoke about. Many will say, "Lord Lord," and although they produce good works Jesus will say, "I never knew you." If one makes Jesus Lord over their lives then they will obey what the Lord says, or another words live a godly life, but if one contradicts themselves, or Scripture in either words or lifestyle, then they are a false prophet.
Old 16-04-2012, 12:33 AM
TeeHee

False teachers and prophets
Old 16-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Sighlense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
How can one contradict the words of the Lord, that's what Jesus spoke about. Many will say, "Lord Lord," and although they produce good works Jesus will say, "I never knew you." If one makes Jesus Lord over their lives then they will obey what the Lord says, or another words live a godly life, but if one contradicts themselves, or Scripture in either words or lifestyle, then they are a false prophet.

I'm so glad you've put it that way, clean clear-cut and in definite laymans terms. I also was told that you're born a prophet, and not everyone is a medium. Not sure how true this is and what this means because for instance, we're all born what with the capibilities to do what were meant to do. Teachers are born with the capibilities needed to be a teacher, a dancer are "Born" dancers/ Also, can't prophets still involve themselves in things such as Astrology/Card Reading/Etc as long as you are doing God's will? Can't you be a prophet and not know the word of God?