Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 19-03-2012, 10:20 PM
seekerscientist

The Truth at the Root of Christianity

I think the root of Christianity lies in Saying 3 of the Gospel of Thomas:

Jesus says: "If those who lead you say to you: 'Look, the kingdom is in the sky!' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you: 'It is in the sea,' then the fishes will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you and outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father. But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty and you are poverty."
Old 20-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Master
That depends on how you regard the bible.
Old 20-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Aesop

The beautiful thing about spirituality is we all have our own minds and derive what we think is true out of all that is available to us. I think that is a beautiful passage. The Book of Thomas, being a gnostic gospel, won't flatter a lot of Christians. I don't think any two people can have the exact same views on spirituality though!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 AM
sbjazzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop
The beautiful thing about spirituality is we all have our own minds and derive what we think is true out of all that is available to us. I think that is a beautiful passage. The Book of Thomas, being a gnostic gospel, won't flatter a lot of Christians. I don't think any two people can have the exact same views on spirituality though!

Right - sand throw in the Aquarian Gospel and we'll get burned at the stake.

http://www.oracleofthephoenix.com/fo...an-gospel.html
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerscientist

Jesus says: "If those who lead you say to you: 'Look, the kingdom is in the sky!' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you: 'It is in the sea,' then the fishes will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you and outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will realize that you are the children of the living Father. But if you do not come to know yourselves, then you exist in poverty and you are poverty."

This says to me that it is most important to focus on the God of His kingdom rather than the description or location. Ooops sorry, this is Gnostic which has a tendency to put the cart before the horse in order to get to know oneself rather than God.

But the truth in it is strikingly similar to/or--ward the importance to know why rather than where. And further the truth in it is that "our" bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and since the Holy Spirit is God, our bodies are a sacred place in which the Spirit not only lives, but is worshiped, revered, and honored. Therefore, how we behave, think and speak, and what we let into the temple through our eyes and ears becomes critically important as well, for every thought, word and deed is in His view, and we ought come to the knowledge that He is Holy.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Joshua_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerscientist

I share with you the view that this is the essence of Christianity.
Alas, this isn't what the Church seems to put at the core.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 AM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G
I share with you the view that this is the essence of Christianity.
Alas, this isn't what the Church seems to put at the core.

This isn't what the church teaches at least not in my own personal affiliation. It seems that Gnosticism teaches that the kingdom of God is obtained through knowledge, and Christianity teaches that heaven is where God is, and eternal life is received through Jesus Christ -- for whosoever believes can partake and receive the unblemished blood of Jesus. Christ’s blood purchased us out of the slavery of sin and set us free forever and enables the Holy Spirit to indwell in Christians. Eternal life is given as a gift by Grace, that is, the love that surpasses forgiveness.

Lastly, I am a bit confused on how the Kingdom of God is being used here. The kingdom of God is a society upon earth where God’s will is as perfectly done as it is in heaven. The kingdom demands the submission of will, heart, and life. Yet this saying appears to contradict in some ways as an abode which is not said in Scripture, but rather is said to be a Temple.

Last edited by TeeHee : 05-04-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Master
Joshua, perhaps you ought to explain what you meaqn when you say, "Know thyself". The scriptures also say, as is evident in th world...

"The heart of man is decietfully wicked, who can know it?"

So then, are you speaking of the true personage of the individual apart from the illusory time and space construct?

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Joshua_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Joshua, perhaps you ought to explain what you meaqn when you say, "Know thyself". The scriptures also say, as is evident in th world...

So then, are you speaking of the true personage of the individual apart from the illusory time and space construct?
I'm not an expert on the scriptures, I don't adhere to any religion and I refuse to enter any debates and arguments regarding religious issues.

As for "know thyself", I understand it to mean knowing one's true nature, or one's Supreme Self, which is actually the godhead, absolute, infinite, transcendent, beyond individuality and beyond the personality. In this sense, "knowing" means a direct, experiential realization.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
TeeHee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus

Illusory time and space construct? Lemme give it a whirl since that saying is vague in relation to context (referring to Thomas saying 3, any parallel sayings in Matthew Mark Luke?). Again its speaking of the kingdom of God and not God, however, what comes to mind is that God is not limited by time or space by your suggestion. Yet even the earth and heaven cannot share these very same attributes as they shall pass away.

And since God is present at every point of time and space, His presence is significant in order to establish an eternal nature. Knowing thyself, would in my understanding, establish that truly "knowing thyself" and/or limitations would allow us to recognize our finite nature.

But upon examination of what Joshua said, God is transcendent, which means God is far above creation and independent of it and not "far bigger or better than that." But being so far above and beyond us God would not be known unless He revealed Himself to us through general revelation (creation and conscience) and special revelation (Bible & Jesus).

Anyhoot, that Scripture you posted Morpheus says a ton. Truly "knowing thyself" entails understanding what separates us from God, for He is Holy and not so "Worldly."

Again, I can't seem to understand why saying 3 is speaking of a kingdom... Any ideas?