Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 06-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Avalancediscoverer

How do you keep your spiritual sanity?

How do you keep your spiritual sanity with Everyday life? I have noticed that people become detached from society when they are serious about their spiritual development. Mostly because of the way they think become different. I have been told that my ways of thinking are too dreamy, that logic and me doesn't go well together. Obviously, everyone has their own truth and their own reality. But this, I don't understand how to keep it together other than completely detach myself from everyday life?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Jules

Hi AD, welcome to the forum, hope you're enjoying your stay with us :)

It's not an easy path to discovery that's for sure! . It comes through experiences and opportunities. Letting go of past habits and old thought forms and basically evolving.

You don't want to detach from everyday life. You still have to live on the planet, but it's about balancing the spiritual with the physical and walking the talk when you've learned the lessons along the way. It does get easier trust me :) x
Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalancediscoverer
How do you keep your spiritual sanity with Everyday life? I have noticed that people become detached from society when they are serious about their spiritual development. Mostly because of the way they think become different. I have been told that my ways of thinking are too dreamy, that logic and me doesn't go well together. Obviously, everyone has their own truth and their own reality. But this, I don't understand how to keep it together other than completely detach myself from everyday life?

I just lost a post I was writing because I am still not completely used to Google Chrome.

Life is to be lived. I do not think it right to detach oneself from society if by 'detach' is meant living like a recluse. We learn most from our relationships with other people and to detach oneself from society would take away that opportunity. To live a life of compassion, of good deeds etc. (called Dharma in Hinduism) also leads to spiritual development. Theosophy says that no one can enter Paradise unless at the hand of someone s/he has helped. It needs people to do that.

When I spend a relatively long time reading the posts on SF I get the urge to shout that LIFE IS TO BE LIVED.

We have been equipped with five senses with which to enjoy the beauty of this planet and life on this planet. We have:
eyes to see colours, shapes, sunsets;
ears to hear the sounds of life, of music;
touch to feel the velvet of a rose petal or the skin of loved ones and pets, the sun or a breeze;
smell to know the fragrance of flowers, food, bodies;
taste to know how a dewdrop tastes, or all the good things that sustain our bodies. Ever noticed how little children put everything in their mouths?

I am ranting
Old 06-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Sungirl

Imho we're down here for a reason. We're here to learn to live fully, to embrace what we are learning spiritually but to live it in the "real" world.

Sounds easy eh? I know it's not :)

The way I have learnt is to keep my gob shut about my **woo woo** (Mattie used that term in another thread and I loved it) thoughts to myself and people I know will understand them.

I circulate with some very 3d people. I ride a motorbike and hang around with bikers... they can be very 3d, although you would be surprised how many are spiritual. Those that are 3d I watch and learn from. I try to become the non-judgemental observer and see how they live their lives so I can learn to improve the way I live mine.

But, you also find that like minded people gravitate to you. I have ended up with a bubble of people that, even if they don't think exactly like me, accept that I think differently to a lot of people.

Yes, it can be a shock when I step out of my bubble, but soon enough my bubble grows to include that area too.

Try to keep your feet on the ground. Protect yourself from the worst energies (I steer clear of most news) and do spend some time in your sanctuary being safe, but if you don't go "out there" at all you will never learn anything about who you are.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungirl
...but if you don't go "out there" at all you will never learn anything about who you are.

Hear, hear. So true.
People are our mirrors.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 AM
rsingh

You can approach spirituality in so many ways. Everybody is a unique individual. So there has to be unique method in which an individual can approach spirituality. There is no right or wrong method. You have to find one that works for you. Spiritual develoment does not happen through detachment for everybody. Most of the persons try to imitate enlightened masters who seem to have detached in certain areas but most persons do not observe that actually they are involved in helping others. Something that is true for enlightened master is not true for un-enlightened peson. Therfore it is useless to try to imitate enlightened masters. An un-enlightened person is attached to seeking enlightenment, therefore he is not realy detached. He has one strong desire to seek enlightenment. Physical world is dual in nature. Everything exists either in one or other polarity. If there is good then there is bad. If there is right then there is wrong and so on. Non-physical world is non-dual. So fundemental aspect of spiritual development is to perceive both simultanously. An un-enlightened person can only perceive physical world to some extent. Spiritual development is to observe the physical world as it is and neither pull it nor push it. So neither attached nor detached. Just enjoy it as it is and your spiritual development will happen automatically at the fastest possible speed.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalancediscoverer

Avalancediscoverer - I went to a Pychic Workshop some time ago and met a woman who said she didn't own a television, didn't get newspapers and didn't make a habit of educating herself on what is happening in the world either locally or worldly. When I asked her why, she said it was not conducive to her spiritual development. That certainly was her prerogative, but I couldn't help but think how out of touch she must have been in her daily life. But maybe she was onto something; I don't know. I would say I experience more stress forcing myself to watching the nightly news every night. It's a personal choice. I do think there is a happy medium. One should be aware of what's happening around him/her, but not be so personally invested in the outcome that it impacts them emotionally. I have a certain degree of detachment after hearing about horrific news for self-preservation and when I feel my stress levels getting too high I meditate and re-center myself. But I never want to be totally disconnected like the woman I met. That's just my personal choice. I don't think it's healthy to ignore the pains of others in the world.

Blackraven
Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Master
I keep my 'sanity', my balance, by staying aware in my breath all through my days.

So simple, and everything goes better with... breathing within.

Xan

Old 07-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Ascender

I think 'spiritual' people would do the opposite. They wouldn't detach themselves from life; they would fully integrate and adapt to it. They know Truth and this gives them happiness and joy to go through life giving it everything they have, knowing everything will be fine. Having 'dreamy' thoughts or thinking too much of a world you so wish to be in brings no benefit. What use can you be to yourself or to the world if you don't live with the current times? Be happy that you've found Truth and don't begrudge those around you because they don't 'understand' you.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Master
By trying to remember that the hard part is over, that resistance is futile, that all is as it should be, that whatever I think I want to be already is , that all I have to do is allow my beingness and the rest flows like the river , that whatever I think is in my way can also be seen as another opportunity for discernment and the insight and appreciation that comes from the contrast .
Things like this keep me going , and knowing that the way is clear.

Dar