Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 AM
TeeHee

The Bible has the Answer

Despite the many evidences, most people today, unfortunately, have not read the Bible itself. Thus, many people tend to go along with the popular delusion that the Bible is full of mistakes and is no longer relevant to our modern world. But the validity and veracity are not ours to pass judgement on. The Bible is to judge "him," not he the Bible.
Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
There's an abundance of evidence for the divine inspiration of the Bible, more than enough to satisfy anyone of open heart and willing mind, if he is interested enough to investigate it. But before he can really understand and receive the messages of the Bible, he must be at least willing to believe it. Otherwise, though he read it through a thousand times, it will remain a closed book to him.
1 Corinthians 2:14
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
But, as Jesus said,
"If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?" That is, if we cannot rely on God's Word when it records matters of science and history (which, presumably, we can verify through our own observation and experience), then how can we possibly trust it when it deals with matters of salvation, heaven, the spiritual world, and eternal life, which are entirely beyond the reach of scientific observation and experimentation?

But as the opinion that many stand on goes, the Bible is merely a book encased in a framework of fallible human writings, which often contain errors. Thus many say that the Bible may have valid meaning and authority when it serves as a vehicle of "existential encounter" with God, but its historical narratives and descriptions of natural phenomena are not to be taken seriously. We should probably note however that as man's judgement is concerned, his opinions are notoriously subjective and changeable.

Nevertheless, each person is still keenly aware of his own personal inadequacy and his desperate need for some frame of reference and authority, despite, becoming, in effect, his own god, with his own self-determined standards of truth and morality. And so he circles fully around in his argument, as he desperately casts about for some bedrock of infallibility to which he can give his life. He may try to find this in Science or Communism, or Humanism or whatnot. But he soon finds that scientist are biased, fallible, selfish, sinful human beings just like everyone else, and so are communists and humanists. Neither the scientific method nor Marxist Philosophy has been given to man by divine revelation, and all man made systems are bound to be inadequate and self contradictory.

Any thoughts!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:08 PM
ciel_perdu

TeeHee wrote:

Quote:
Nevertheless, each person is still keenly aware of his own personal inadequacy and his desperate need for some frame of reference and authority, despite, becoming, in effect, his own god, with his own self-determined standards of truth and morality. And so he circles fully around in his argument, as he desperately casts about for some bedrock of infallibility to which he can give his life.

I can appreciate your thoughts. Though it seems like your are suggesting that the bible be the bedrock of infallibilty that people SHOULD place their faith, hope and life in? If I am wrong, forgive me.

I personally believe that while the bible has a lot of truth within it's pages, I believe the only infallible bedROCK that we should place our faith (life) in, is in Jesus' words. After all, even the bible says that Jesus is the word of God.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciel_perdu
I personally believe that while the bible has a lot of truth within it's pages, I believe the only infallible bedROCK that we should place our faith (life) in, is in Jesus' words. After all, even the bible says that Jesus is the word of God.
But the Bible is our only source of information about Jesus' words.

Jesus often quoted from the Old Testament and testified to its truth so if you believe him you must also accept the Old Testament as inspired.

He also said that when the Holy Spirit came he would reveal even more truth.
I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.
(John 16:12-15 ESV)

The Holy Spirit came on the day of Pentecost and the New Testaement is a record of the truths that he revealed.

You can't separate believing the words of Jesus from believing the whole Bible.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
mattie

I've Read It Cover To Cover. Delusion?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Despite the many evidences, most people today, unfortunately, have not read the Bible itself.

I've read it cover to cover & many sections more than once as well as had extensive Bible study & attended 100s of sermons.

Quote:
Thus, many people tend to go along with the popular delusion that the Bible is full of mistakes and is no longer relevant to our modern world. ...

Very presumptive about why others have turned away from the Bible. I've made my own assessments about whether the Bible is relevant to me, entirely apart from others' POV. It is rather dismissive of calling others' POV who disagree w/ the Bible a 'delusion.'
Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilus
But the Bible is our only source of information about Jesus' words.

No it's not. There are loads of Gnostic gospels that relate Jesus's words.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
ciel_perdu

theophilus

Quote:
Jesus often quoted from the Old Testament and testified to its truth so if you believe him you must also accept the Old Testament as inspired.

I did actually say that I believe the scriptures to be 'inspired', perhaps you missed that part of my post? The point I was trying to share, is that 'inspired' doesn't mean infallible.

If you can imagine an art gallery with 100 paintings in it. All of the paintings are inspired by Monet, but only one of them is a Monet. Only one of them is genuine and worth a significant amount. I think that's the description the bible gives of itself. Sure, Paul says the scriptures are inspired and helpful, but it also says that Jesus and NOT the bible is the Word of God. The words may be inspired by God, but they are not the Word of God. Can you see what I mean?

Quote:
You can't separate believing the words of Jesus from believing the whole Bible.

I don't put the bible and Jesus on par together, basically because the bible itself gives a clear distinction between the two. Aside from that, Jesus himself says that it is HIS words, and no others, that are the source of eternal life.

I hope you can appreciate I am not trying to dismiss the bible, but I am trying to put it in persepctive with the words of Jesus. Paul's words, Moses' words, Jeremiah's words, inspired though they may be, are NOT infallible, nor are they the words of eternal life, only Jesus, the Word of God, has those words.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Master
Quote:
Despite the many evidences, most people today, unfortunately, have not read the Bible itself. Thus, many people tend to go along with the popular delusion that the Bible is full of mistakes and is no longer relevant to our modern world. But the validity and veracity are not ours to pass judgement on. The Bible is to judge "him," not he the Bible.
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

There's an abundance of evidence for the divine inspiration of the Bible, more than enough to satisfy anyone of open heart and willing mind, if he is interested enough to investigate it. But before he can really understand and receive the messages of the Bible, he must be at least willing to believe it. Otherwise, though he read it through a thousand times, it will remain a closed book to him.
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

But, as Jesus said,
"If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?" That is, if we cannot rely on God's Word when it records matters of science and history (which, presumably, we can verify through our own observation and experience), then how can we possibly trust it when it deals with matters of salvation, heaven, the spiritual world, and eternal life, which are entirely beyond the reach of scientific observation and experimentation?

But as the opinion that many stand on goes, the Bible is merely a book encased in a framework of fallible human writings, which often contain errors. Thus many say that the Bible may have valid meaning and authority when it serves as a vehicle of "existential encounter" with God, but its historical narratives and descriptions of natural phenomena are not to be taken seriously. We should probably note however that as man's judgement is concerned, his opinions are notoriously subjective and changeable.

Nevertheless, each person is still keenly aware of his own personal inadequacy and his desperate need for some frame of reference and authority, despite, becoming, in effect, his own god, with his own self-determined standards of truth and morality. And so he circles fully around in his argument, as he desperately casts about for some bedrock of infallibility to which he can give his life. He may try to find this in Science or Communism, or Humanism or whatnot. But he soon finds that scientist are biased, fallible, selfish, sinful human beings just like everyone else, and so are communists and humanists. Neither the scientific method nor Marxist Philosophy has been given to man by divine revelation, and all man made systems are bound to be inadequate and self contradictory.

Any thoughts!

Did you ever read Yoganandas 2 volume work called 'The Second Coming of Christ: The ressurection of the Christ within you' ? (with an open heart and willing mind)
I read the bible and I studied it, so did he and apparantly with an open mind as I did.
It is a very interesting work that illustrates beautifully another way of interpreting the bible, even with an open mind.
His books influenced me greatly, you might find them interesting simply because of the fact that there are different views of what the bible is saying, even when approached with an open heart and willing mind.
Blessings, James
Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Time

Quote:
But, as Jesus said,

Any thoughts!

Can you really make a claim as the title of the thread, and only back it up by a few biblical quotes? Thats a big mistake people do, they take a quote from the bible, and use it as evidence of their paradigm. You cant pick and choose if you choose to take the bible as literal, you have to obey and say everything in it is true for the bible to make any real sence.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
He may try to find this in Science or Communism, or Humanism or whatnot. But he soon finds that scientist are biased, fallible, selfish, sinful human beings just like everyone else, and so are communists and humanists. Very judgemental if you ask me. Neither the scientific method nor Marxist Philosophy has been given to man by divine revelation, and all man made systems are bound to be inadequate and self contradictory.

And the above is why I will never join a church.

I would never join a church in any case because I went to an elementary school with the Bible and heard all the Bible stories. Even at that age I could not reconcile the cruelty of Jehovah with God as I believed Him to be.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegreen
And the above is why I will never join a church.

I would never join a church in any case because I went to an elementary school with the Bible and heard all the Bible stories. Even at that age I could not reconcile the cruelty of Jehovah with God as I believed Him to be.
I can understand how you feel. Many people feel this way. It's ok to believe however you want to believe. You're not at fault for believing differently than others around you. And even more importantly, others are not at fault for believing differently. The negative things we see in others are actually in ourselves.