Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 23-10-2011, 10:48 PM
johnatre

cauldrons

So, I was wondering, can I use a flower pot my mom gave me as a cauldron (as I am 16 and on a budget) ?
Old 24-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Master
Johnatre, don't get caught up with the inconsequential rituals that say you must have this or that item to follow your path. You NEED nothing except what is in your heart and soul.
Put it another way, if these trivial things were so necessary, well anyone could just buy them at an inflated price from their local "spiritual" store. If you MUST have them, well make them yourself. The items you make have much more value and potency.
My "ritual" clothing ? - waxed cotton jacket [ loads of pockets !] and jeans plus good hiking boots.
Wand ? - what do you need a wand for ?

Actually, thinking about it. The GIFT your mother gave you to use, sounds ideal because of the spirit in which it was given.
Old 25-10-2011, 09:13 PM
LadyMoondancer

Right Norseman.

yes, theres a lot of stuff in books and on the internet that says you should have an altar and things go here, and things go there. Put the stuff where you want them.

What you are doing is raising energy (if you are doing a circle or a spell/ritual). Or you might be honoring the God and the Goddess. You may want some objects to represent the four elements (earth, air, fire, water) - incense for air, candle for fire, a small dish with salt for earth, a small dish of water for -- water!

I am a full blown Wiccan who practices Witchcraft. With all the trappings. Because I like them. My sister is Theodish, only uses her runes, nothing more.

I don't have a wand. My athame is a letter-opener - replica of Bilbo + Frodo's sword Sting from Peter Jackson's LOTR movies.

My goddess symbols are small statues of my patron goddesses, Selket, Sekhmet and Bast. I have a long sleeved, floor length witchy dress, or I might just do a ritual in my jeans! doesn't really matter.

The symbols and articles are just crutches, they help you concentrate on the energies and ideas you are raising and working with and on. In time, as your learning progresses, you will find you will need those "crutches" less and less.

I do have a small cast iron cauldron, which I use not for potions and such, but for burning small items safely. I whip up my potions in my kitchen.

This is the beauty of being an eclectic child of the universe - take what you want from the books or your teachers, (if you have any), but in time - do things the way it feels right for YOU.

as you read more on these threads, you will see Norseman is a fountain of information, and he reveres the Old Ways. I haven't been here on these boards that long, and I'm rather eclectic and "New Age" in my style. I've studying for more than 40 years - and I am still learning.
Old 25-10-2011, 09:22 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatre
So, I was wondering, can I use a flower pot my mom gave me as a cauldron (as I am 16 and on a budget) ?

I agree with what the op have shared, there isn't a right or wrong way or right or wrong implement. My only question is if you use it to burn incense or anything else in it will it hold up to the heat? You may want to consider that, at least for safety reasons...
Old 26-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Master
Johnatre, don't tie yourself down to a set way of working yet. Try different things within wicca if that is your choice. The right path for you is the one YOU are comfortable in - don't listen to people like me My way is my way ! I don't practice at home or indoors, my craft life is purely in the open moors. My altar is a rock shelf beside a waterfall and my altar "goods" are things I pick up as I wander - pine cones, acorns, seed heads, pebbles, things of that type which are all sacred to Mother Earth. I don't have set rituals, I prefer to make them up on the spot. My path is like the wind - it just wanders where it wishes. This weekend is Samhain, a time to honour the ancestors and seek their guidance.
Old 27-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Amethyst

Hi Johnatre

I agree with others that tools are not necessary – they are after all only tools to help focus, but if you are burning a spell it’s common sense to have something to safely contain a small fire.

Also, candle plates are a sensible idea and taking extra care if anointing candles with oils that can be highly inflammable.

Re. tools on a budget - regarding a wand – it is not necessary to own one to direct energies as that can be done by intention and will alone.

If you consider a wand beneficial you could collect a twig from the ground that you’re attracted to.

Or simply point.

Tip from a friend regarding pointing; point at something now - turn over your hand and there’s three fingers pointing back at you - a reminder of the threefold law should you follow that.

Blessings, Amethyst x
Old 27-10-2011, 05:31 PM
MoonWillow

Hi,

I also agree with advice given to you.

You don't need a room full of tools.

My Alter is as Norseman's and is out in beautiful natural surroundings.

I pick little bits and pieces up and put them in my favourite place.

I have a Cauldron..I burn my favourite Incense in it.

Everything I do comes from within myself. It comes from my heart..not from a book.

MW
Old 28-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatre

I don't see a reason not to. I would put some dirt in it if you burn things in it.
Old 28-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by manna8288
I don't see a reason not to. I would put some dirt in it if you burn things in it.
Make sure it's sand, or soil with as little organic matter as possible, burning soil smells REALLY bad Not so much with sand, since there's little in it to burn, unless it gets furnace temperature.
Old 31-10-2011, 04:26 AM
Pathfinder
Good to know. I've never actually had to put sand or dirt in something to burn, but I've read about the need to put some in so I thought I'd pass it on.