Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 25-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Daniel1324

I'm a new Buddhist

Hi,
I am a Christian-Buddhist, I believe in God but I am trying to embrace things like finding a middle ground in my life but it is hard for me being in a dysfunctional family things like non violence and no hatred are hard for me. I keep on trying to embrace Buddhism but I can't. What should I do?
Old 25-09-2011, 10:23 AM
mattie

Family Drama Not An Impediment

Many have come from dysfunctional families. You aren’t limited by their drama w/ how you progress.

Distanced Observer- http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...685#post176685

It is very useful to explore various types of spirituality including that which is past the boundaries of organized religion. Take what makes sense from any of them & decline what doesn’t.

What is impeding you from embracing Buddhism? Have you not found information about it that you resonate w/?
Old 25-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1324
Hi,
I am a Christian-Buddhist, I believe in God but I am trying to embrace things like finding a middle ground in my life but it is hard for me being in a dysfunctional family things like non violence and no hatred are hard for me. I keep on trying to embrace Buddhism but I can't. What should I do?

Hi Daniel,

Can I suggest you browse the resources at this link and try some loving-kindness (metta) meditation?

http://www.buddhanet.net/metta.htm

and then later have a look at resources connected to The Four Noble Truths on the same website

with kind wishes,

Samana
Old 26-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Colbster425

Hi Daniel,

I too, am exploring the Buddhist religion, as I am a strong believe in God and also a Christian. I come from a very dysfunctional family too, so perhaps PM me and we can relate!

My path to the buddhist faith came from a trip abroad with my university opening my eyes to all that modern christianity condems. I cannot believe that good men suffer because they weren't exposed to Christ in the right setting. I then went on a rampant search through all religion, and found that most come from the heart and most come from what I believe is a spiritual force... but what fits me?

Buddhism is so much about peace and looking within yourself for the source of great potential and great fulfillment. I always rejected the Christian notion that man was weak and could only rely on Christ for strength. I believe within us is great power also, and Buddhism is definitely a guiding force for me.

It might sound stupid, but when things get rough with my family I think of Buddha's words at the beginning of the Dhammapada in the Twin Verses.

Quote:
What we are is the result of what we have thought,
is built by our thoughts, is made up of our thoughts.
If one speaks or acts with an impure thought,
suffering follows one,
like the wheel of the cart follows the foot of the ox.

What we are is the result of what we have thought,
is built by our thoughts, is made up of our thoughts.
If one speaks or acts with a pure thought,
happiness follows one,
like a shadow that never leaves.

"They insulted me; they hurt me;
they defeated me; they cheated me."
In those who harbour such thoughts,
hate will never cease.

"They insulted me; they hurt me;
they defeated me; they cheated me."
In those who do not harbour such thoughts,
hate will cease.

For hate is never conquered by hate.
Hate is conquered by love.
This is an eternal law.
Many do not realise that we must all come to an end here;
but those who do realise this, end their quarrels at once.

This is only the start but just hearing this in my head before a major conflict helps to slow my speech and think before I react to the adverse situation. Also it helps rid me of a victim mentality from my life's bizarre situations.

As a christian, you can even see Jesus' response to violence and his calmness. Imagine his calmness and patience as he knew he would be nailed to a cross and murdered. You gotta believe he had the same attitude as the Buddha and how we should be. It's all about mindfulness.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Time

Quote:
Hi,

I dont think that buddism frowns upon no violence, other wise monks couldnt defend themselves right? (and we know they have, because buddhist monks are the ones who invented kungfu! )

Its the matter of understanding that suffering is an inevitable thing in life, and not letting it drag us down, but just acceptng it as much as life as the good.

And of course, you shouldnt go looking to start violence.... but its really unsafe not to defend yourself if you must... hence, i think it wasnt "non violence", but more not seeking suffering, or making anyone purposly suffer
Old 26-09-2011, 04:38 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Hi,
I am a Christian-Buddhist,
This is impossible.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Master
Quote:
Hi,

Buddhism offers meditation tools which help to remove 'wrong thinking' so it isn't really a belief that Gotama taught, for that matter Christ didn't teach a belief either... but people later turned the teaching into formally conformed religions, which is quite ironic because neither Christ nor Gotama conformed to religion.

Anyway, buddhism differs greatly from other religions because meditations offer you the tools which eradicate 'wrong thinking'.
Old 26-09-2011, 08:09 AM
not human

Quote:
I keep on trying to embrace Buddhism but I can't. What should I do?
[/quote]

Buddhism is such a user friendly experience. All about the middle way....you start where you are....and that is good enough. The only benchmarks to live up to will be set by your own mind so be kind to yourself. Also a lot of Buddhists do not view Buddhism as a religion as such but a mind science because of the use of meditation and inquiry.
Old 26-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Time

DOnt forget too, buddhism leave room to let others practice their other beliefs, and let you partake in these as well...

IF you want to watch something that actually illistrates this point well, watch the "lisa the buddhist" episode of the simpsons.
Old 26-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Elijah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre-dawn
This is impossible.
Most people who say they are x, y, z really mean they have an interest in x, y, z.

In this way it's entierly possible for someone to intergrate both Christianity/Buddhism into their life without conflict.

Thomas Merton was a Catholic monk who was deeply influenced by Buddhsim, Zen in particular: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Merton

There are also Christian-Buddhist societies, I guess it's all down to one's interpretation of each.

I know for the fundamentalists this would be impossible, but for the open-minded, there is the possibilty of finding a connection.