Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 05-07-2011, 12:05 PM
georgeTmaxwell

Totemism, Animsim and/or Pantheism

Cool, just found a new section on this forum that interests me as I enjoy learning about the indigenous cultures and beliefs.

Would you say the Native American beliefs are classified as Totemists, Animists and/or Pantheists? Or is there such a wide variety that it they could be all, some or none of the above?

gTm
Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Docha

Lol well I have never heard any of those terms before today, need to pull out the dictionary!

According to dictionary definition it would be all of the above.

Everything is connected and has spirit.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
georgeTmaxwell

Thanks for the reply Docha. I was surprised this post got no responses till now but I guess these words don't resonate. Personally I lean more toward animism and pantheism and less to Totemism.

It wasn't until recently I understood the word and realized the Australian Aborigines were Totemists. Maybe it's not for me but maybe it is, I just haven't found my totem yet.

Does a totem have to be an animal or plant? Or can it be an animate object?

gTm
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Docha

A totem is really defined as something you draw power from in a spiritual perspective. I would have to deduct that it could be anything though inanimate objects have been given the name talisman...

I am surprised too that no one else answered. Lol Though it could be that native american spirituality is elusive. Difficult to study because it is very much a way of life, a way of being. There are no ancient scriptures its all passed down orally. Word of mouth allows it to change and adapt. At one time the elders thought it was bad mojo to try to set it in stone.

What amazes me is the refusal to make it permanent seems to be the very thing that assured its survival.

When speaking of totemism it wasn't in the dictionary so I assume it means something more about the power things have than the other two?

I'm having a hard time sepetating the three terms. Lol
Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeTmaxwell
Cool, just found a new section on this forum that interests me as I enjoy learning about the indigenous cultures and beliefs.

Would you say the Native American beliefs are classified as Totemists, Animists and/or Pantheists? Or is there such a wide variety that it they could be all, some or none of the above?

gTm
Native American beliefs aren't a monolith. So any pronouncements on what sort of religious beliefs they traditionally hold is going to leave out some groups. But in general, I would be daring enough to say that pantheistic and animistic tendencies are widespread within N.A beliefs.

As for totems, a totem is a non-human legendary ancestor of a group of people. The word is Ojibwe, but it's been used for similar conceptions in other tribes. But, contrary to popular perception, totems are not unique to individuals or have any bearing on your personality, they have everything to do with your lineage.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Docha

Wow, thank you for the clarification on the totem definition. It makes quite a bit more sense. :)
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 AM
georgeTmaxwell

Thanks for the update Animus. I didn't know about the lineage factor.

Docha, wiki is a good source for definitions of isms. I write about isms in my lounge posts.
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...183#post275183

Animism generally believes that everything has a soul.

For Totemism...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
According to the anthropologist Tim Ingold, animism shares similarities to totemism but differs in its focus on individual spirit beings which help to perpetuate life, whereas totemism more typically holds that there is a primary source, such as the land itself or the ancestors, who provide the basis to life. Certain indigenous religious groups such as the Australian Aborigines are more typically totemic, whereas others like the Inuit are more typically animistic in their worldview.

Totemism is a system of belief in which humans are said to have kinship or a mystical relationship with a spirit-being, such as an animal or plant. The entity, or totem, is thought to interact with a given kin group or an individual and to serve as their emblem or symbol.

gTm
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Docha

I find wikki is often wrong... lol

So ancient celts would be considered totemism as well? I really need to relate it to what I know, it's not clicking with me for some reason.

perhaps it's just not time for me to figure it out yet. lol
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docha

So ancient celts would be considered totemism as well? I really need to relate it to what I know, it's not clicking with me for some reason.

As far as I know, there's little evidence for totemic belief among pre-Christian Celtic cultures. But there does appear to be evidence for them believing in being descended from a god, Julius Caesar remarked that the Gauls believed they were descended from Dis Pater (Roman god of the underworld, here Caesar was doing the ever-so popular Interpretatio Romana (identifying foreign gods with Roman ones).

Even so, there's a lot of indications that the ancient Celtic cultures had many animistic beliefs, but not totemic.

Quote:
I find wikki is often wrong... lol
Wikipedia can definitely have some sloppy articles, but you can look at the references, and the more the article cites, the better the accuracy, usually.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
georgeTmaxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docha
I see the definitions can be loose and the isms overlap, hence its not always easy to get first time. I still struggle too.

In my language;
Animism means everything, eg tree, rock, moon, etc has life.
Totemism seems to have a significant item as a guide.

gTm