Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 28-06-2011, 09:24 PM
nightowl

Self Centered????

Here goes...this is one statement I have heard about those who consider themselves 'new age';

They are to self centered, they only focus on self development, they are trying to make themselves into gods.

So do many of the practices and beliefs that are shared here appear too self centered? Much of the spiritual knowledge shared does, at first glance seem to focus on the individual more then the whole.

How would you react to such statements?

Please don't attack the messenger, just playing devil advocate, well if there was a devil...heheee

nightowl
Old 28-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Free Bird

There is that saying " You have to be the change you want to see in the world" So I think starting with ones self is a good way forward. Also, I personally tend to try and live my life with compassion to all others, so this will be having (hopefully) a positive effect on others. In fact i'd say the more I focus on myself, the more I am able to help others (if that makes sense)
Old 28-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Master
I'm not sure why being happy and feeling good about oneself is a bad thing. I don't consider that self-centered at all. The more you are happy and content with your life, the more you are most likely to give (emotionally) to others.

zipzip
Old 28-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Master
It certainly can be a good thing, like anything else, to strengthen one's self in as many ways as possible enables an individual to help others, if they end up using their improvements for that, although sometimes we see people getting a little too full of themselves.

Old 28-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
Here goes...this is one statement I have heard about those who consider themselves 'new age';

They are to self centered, they only focus on self development, they are trying to make themselves into gods.

So do many of the practices and beliefs that are shared here appear too self centered? Much of the spiritual knowledge shared does, at first glance seem to focus on the individual more then the whole.

How would you react to such statements?

Please don't attack the messenger, just playing devil advocate, well if there was a devil...heheee

nightowl

Fair enough NightOwl, hopefully no one will attack me for this either.

I have met many new age types of people who definitely look down their noses at others who do not share their viewpoints. They use justifications about a persons spirit or aura or "vibe" to scrape people off they don't like for their own (new agers) "spiritual development". I don't mean bad people either, I mean people who may be poor, have bad hygiene or are simply physically unattractive.

I have seen the whole soulmate and TF thing used for a spouse to bail on a marriage just to have a dalliance with some person they met over the net because "its meant to be."

Lastly there are the vegans (Not vegetarians) who treat anyone who eats meat like they are a neanderthal, or a murderer, and refer to themselves as more spiritually evolved than those that dine on animal flesh. (I have in fact been called a murderer personally for eating meat by these sorts.)

Self-centered? Yes, some definitely are very full of themselves and think the universe revolves around them and their lifestyle.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:28 PM
nightowl

Hey Freebird,zipzip,and SG,

I agree that the better we know ourselves the more aware we are of others. But I have seen some get really caught up in personal development that they almost become obsessed with it. They become so inwardly focused that instead of sharing the insights they have learned, it all becomes a thing like, advancing to a higher level is all that matters...and when they do reach out to others it is all about, 'what do I need to do to reach that higher level', as if there is some kind of secret power attached to it.

Hey Scibat,

Thank you for you honest answer It is my hope that all will feel free to answer as they wish. I have unfortunately seen some of the same things you have mentions not only in new agers but in Christians and other religions as well...so what does that say about how what we believe effects the individual or group?

nightowl
Old 28-06-2011, 11:30 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Hey Freebird,zipzip,and SG,

I agree that the better we know ourselves the more aware we are of others. But I have seen some get really caught up in personal development that they almost become obsessed with it. They become so inwardly focused that instead of sharing the insights they have learned, it all becomes a thing like, advancing to a higher level is all that matters...and when they do reach out to others it is all about, 'what do I need to do to reach that higher level', as if there is some kind of secret power attached to it.

Hey Scibat,

Thank you for you honest answer It is my hope that all will feel free to answer as they wish. I have unfortunately seen some of the same things you have mentions not only in new agers but in Christians and other religions as well...so what does that say about how what we believe effects the individual or group?

nightowl

Absolutely, there are bad apples in any large enough group. But since the question was about new agers, that is all I commented on. I could tell you some doozies about some other religions and groups.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Master
what is the meaning of self centered? I am the center. I love only myself. I will care only myself. But this kind of thinking increases strong attachment to the body. It is dangerous. Love others. Care for others. Lord says that who feels others happiness and sadness like “I am Happy or sad”, is greatest Yogi according to my standpoint. Who cares for only himself, is a Asur(devil). We are the sons of God Who cares for the whole world therefore we should care for others. A self centred person can never meet with his self because he loves his body and know about his body only .
that is not all
Thinker
Old 29-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Eudaimonist

Quote:

I'm not a New Ager, but I see nothing wrong with self-development as long as one never forgets that one is a social being.

Quote:
So do many of the practices and beliefs that are shared here appear too self centered?

Not to me.

Quote:
Much of the spiritual knowledge shared does, at first glance seem to focus on the individual more then the whole.

What precisely is wrong with that? Seriously... being against self-improvement? Our individual self is where we have the greatest influence. Master yourself, and then you may find that others will benefit. It all starts with you.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Old 29-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Greenslade

Quote:

Are those the same people who work for a living and try to make themselves rich?
Closed Thread