Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
dawn chorus

Common sense

Hi everyone.
I just had an urge to start a thread about common sense as I have found that along my spiritual journey so far this has been a huge thing for me as a reality check when I have had my head too far in the clouds. An ex partner brought me to realise the importance of this as a grounding which everyone can relate to. I find often with spiritually related subjects the terminology can be quite alien to people who are not necessarily into spiritually based practices, and the idea of common sense can sometimes be lost in spirituality. I know that personally without proper grounding I can be prone to being lost in beliefs and concepts and have really valued some of the age old sayings circulated in daily life. As I am relatively new to spirituality, I have only been into it for a few years now, I thought this would be helpful for others who are just starting out. I know it is quite an obvious thing to point out but it is sometimes the most obvious things we forget when we feel lost.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Sungirl

I feel "common sense" is very subjective. Something that is common sense to me may sound completely wack to someone else.

To me it is common sense to ask a crystal a question because I have a strong belief that crystals are sprits... but that is crazy talk to other people.. which I have to learn is ok because to them "common sense" is that they are lumps of rock.

I would relate your "common sense" to being aware of my personal truth and ensuring that everything I believe is empowering to me, and if possible, others around me.

But, don't think I am belittling what you are saying, it is great that you have found something that helps you be discerning about what you take on board. This is something that is very important :)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
dawn chorus

I understand and value your point of view. I was just making a general statement that could apply anywhere, something that I have found useful in integrating my spiritual life to my ordinary life and visa versa. I have found that many things thought of as common sense have a very profound meaning to them and are the simplest things. But common sense is to me more of a collective thing as the name 'common' suggests, and helps to guide us without rules but with encouragement, through the experiences of so many people.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Enya

Instead of common sense, I would suggest dwelling instead on simplicity. My friend and teacher is very keen on keeping things as simple as possible, to enable understanding and avoid jargon. For instance, instead of using the word 'chakra', she says 'energy centres', because why use a foreign word which may need explained?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya
Instead of common sense, I would suggest dwelling instead on simplicity. My friend and teacher is very keen on keeping things as simple as possible, to enable understanding and avoid jargon. For instance, instead of using the word 'chakra', she says 'energy centres', because why use a foreign word which may need explained?
Your friend has good common-sense.. i appreciate that. So much that is described with ambiguous or foreign terminology is so much clearer in the common person's native language..

Be well..
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Master
lol there is no intergrating my inner experiences with my normal external life. i mean, yeah in so far as whatever i learn of myself "in there" modifies me and my behavior in a subtle general way i can intergrate internal with the mundane external. but the complex multidimensional beauty and intricate interweavings of psyches is kept compartmentalized from my normal outward workaday world for good reason.

though they're accustomed to my quirkiness my family and friends would be more than just a little concerned about my sanity if they knew of what goes on in my head. lol
Old 10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
dawn chorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Queries
lol there is no intergrating my inner experiences with my normal external life. i mean, yeah in so far as whatever i learn of myself "in there" modifies me and my behavior in a subtle general way i can intergrate internal with the mundane external. but the complex multidimensional beauty and intricate interweavings of psyches is kept compartmentalized from my normal outward workaday world for good reason.

though they're accustomed to my quirkiness my family and friends would be more than just a little concerned about my sanity if they knew of what goes on in my head. lol

ha ha i getcha. i just meant that as we develop they become less separate and it just becomes you and your life. I talk about my spiritual life to family and friends and they do think i'm nuts at times but it is important for me to stay true to who I am as it's such a huge part of my life. But yea there are things i dont share...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Prokopton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn chorus
I just had an urge to start a thread about common sense as I have found that along my spiritual journey so far this has been a huge thing for me as a reality check when I have had my head too far in the clouds.

This is super-important and was always recommended by my teachers. It's not that it all needs to make sense to everyone else -- but one definitely needs to be able to integrate experiences into one's own picture of the world. That's an issue because visionary experience (say) uses areas of the mind we're not used to using. And equally important is to think about anything one learns and test its reality if possible. Otherwise, yes, you disappear into fantasies.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM
jjj

Something that I have noticed about sense is that it's not so common as one might believe. :p