Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Quotes & Stories

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:21 AM
tiltjlp

The Souls Of Cats

I thought some of you might enjoy reading this true story I just wrote. It'll give you a chance to know Sahar Lee, my avatar picture, a little better.

The Souls Of Cats

By John L Patton, 2006

I never was much of a cat person until a few years after my dad suffered a massive stroke in the fall of 1988. I became his sole caregiver, and only months later, I was involved in an auto accident which disabled me. Starting in the spring of 1990, we adopted four wonderful cats over the next few years, each with distinctive personalities. While the cats didn’t all get along with one another, they all liked both me and my dad. Dad and I each had a cat that simply adored us, which is always a nice feeling.

As I got to know Sugar, Samantha, Smokey, and my darling Sarah Lee, I was surprised to realize how strong their personalities were. And how those personalities could and did clash sometimes. Sugar tormented Sarah Lee, while Samantha was afraid of Sarah Lee. Smokey, who had been set on fire by a youngster, was lovable but somewhat the loner. While things were usually peaceful, the cats seldom spent much time all in the same room.

My father, who lived a hard but good life, died in May of 1995, and that was when the cats showed me that not only do they indeed have souls and spiritual feelings, but a deep sense of caring. Returning home from the hospital after I’d been told of my dad’s death, I sat down and cried for a few minutes. All four cats came into the room one after another and each one came up next to the chair I was sitting in, so I could pet them for a minute.

Next, they all sat in a close semi-circle just in front of me, and stayed that way for fifteen minutes, while I told them what had happened. Then they all turned around, and laid down quietly facing away form me, as if they were giving me time to be alone with my thoughts. They stayed with me that way for over an hour, while I made numerous phone calls. Finally they walked out of the room, except for Sugar, who was my special cat, who came a laid next to my chair. They got along peacefully for the next three days.

Samantha, who’d been dad’s constant companion and lap cat, spent most of her time in dad’s room, sleeping in his bed, just like she had done every night. While she would come visit me, she seemed to understand that dad wouldn’t be coming home. Once the house was sold, I had to give three of the cats away to friends, which is the hardest thing I have even done in my life. Sugar and I were inseparable, so it was heartbreaking when I decided to keep Sarah Lee and not Sugar. But Sugar and Samantha were as close as sisters while Sarah Lee was a loner. Being able to keep Samantha and Sugar together eased my pain some, but I felt guiltier than I have about anything I’ve ever done.

But I’ve always believed that things happen for a reason. Six months after Sarah Lee and I moved to an apartment, she was diagnosed with cancer in her upper right gum and jaw. I nursed her back to health over nearly a year, and she and I became as close as father and daughter. She and I shared over nine years together, and eventually, she became the lap cat I had hoped she would be. Whenever I was in my recliner, Sarah Lee would be in my lap, getting belly rubs or just napping.

I believe that Sarah Lee somehow knew she was dieing, and became a lap cat to strengthen the bond we had. I think she wanted to make sure that my memories of her would be good ones, and that I wouldn’t mourn for her very long. While I did grieve for her, I really never mourned for her, since we had a wonderful life together. I think of her, and of my dad often, and of course I miss them both. But I celebrate both their lives, because I know they both were special in their own ways. She was a sweet cat.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:52 AM
Enlightener

That was a beautiful story Tiltjlp.

Are cats on the same spiritual path as us? Are they merely the same souls experience a different reality?

Enlightener
Old 03-12-2006, 06:23 AM
tiltjlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightener
That was a beautiful story Tiltjlp.

Are cats on the same spiritual path as us? Are they merely the same souls experience a different reality?

Enlightener

Glad you liked it Enlightener. You ask a pair of intriguing questions. At times I've wondered if they aren't simply angels who happen to purr. In many ways in my experience with cats, they seem a lot more spiritually advanced than we might be.

John
Old 03-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Lapis

Cat Ooooohhh

Oh lord I've gone all mushy and warm n' fuzzy at the same time! Thank you so much for sharing that deeply personal and meaningful story John. I too have had many special love affairs over the decades with some feline angels. Another special one, Skeeter, is in his little cat bed beside me on the computer desk now as I write this. He is every time I'm on the puter. Ooohh....

It sure sounds like you've been going through some very intense (and painful in more ways than the obvious) life learnings for awhile now. I can relate and there were always cats involved at every turn it. I couldn't imagine not having one or two of them in my life.

I couldn't agree more with what you said about them being "....angels who purr." I have such profound respect for the animal kingdom for what they do for us who understand so little about them. Thanks again for sharing those moving and personal experiences. I hope you aren't long without another purring fur angel in your life.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:46 PM
rose

that was beautiful and comforting. thank you so much for sharing it with us
Old 05-12-2006, 03:05 AM
BLAIR2BE

i too love cats (and cat stories of course). this story was pleasant to read.
Closed Thread