Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Faeries, Elementals, Nature Spirits, & Woodland Creatures

Old 28-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Angels3

Question Lillith the Queen of Fairies

Has anyone ever heard of her? Aparently she was changed from the queen of fairies to a demon who was Adam's first love. Any information would be great!
Old 28-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Sangress

I have.

I thought she was a succubus who gave birth to demons (hence why I've heard of her being referred to as queen of demons)....not sure where I got that idea though.
Old 28-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels3
Has anyone ever heard of her? Aparently she was changed from the queen of fairies to a demon who was Adam's first love. Any information would be great!

i've heard of Lilith but i've never heard of her referred to as "queen of the fairies". i read only that she was Adam's 1st wife, created as his equal, head strong and not apt to be obedient. so fearful were those Bronze Age men of the idea strong women that she was later morphed into a baby eating demon.

i have read of Titania Queen of the Fairies from Shakespeare's MidSummer's Night Dream, estranged wife of the fairy King Oberon.

and the there's Queen Mab of whom Mercrutio raves in Romeo and Juliet ...

O, then I see Queen Mab hath been with you.
She is the fairies' midwife, and she comes
In shape no bigger than an agate stone
On the forefinger of an alderman,
Drawn with a team of little atomies
Over men's noses as they lie asleep;
Her wagon spokes made of long spinners' legs,
The cover, of the wings of grasshoppers;
Her traces, of the smallest spider web;
Her collars, of the moonshine's wat'ry beams;
Her whip, of cricket's bone; the lash, of film;
Her wagoner, a small grey-coated gnat,
Not half so big as a round little worm
Pricked from the lazy finger of a maid;
Her chariot is an empty hazelnut,
Made by the joiner squirrel or old grub,
Time out o' mind the fairies' coachmakers.
And in this state she gallops night by night
Through lovers' brains, and then they dream of love;
O'er courtiers' knees, that dream on curtsies straight;
O'er lawyers' fingers, who straight dream on fees;
O'er ladies' lips, who straight on kisses dream,
Which oft the angry Mab with blisters plagues,
Because their breaths with sweetmeats tainted are.
Sometimes she gallops o'er a courtier's nose,
And then dreams he of smelling out a suit;
And sometimes comes she with a tithe-pig's tail
Tickling a parson's nose as 'a lies asleep,
Then dreams he of another benefice.
Sometimes she driveth o'er a soldier's neck,
And then dreams he of cutting foreign throats,
Of breaches, ambuscadoes, Spanish blades,
Of healths five fathom deep; and then anon
Drums in his ear, at which he starts and wakes,
And being thus frighted, swears a prayer or two
And sleeps again. This is that very Mab
That plats the manes of horses in the night
And bakes the elflocks in foul sluttish hairs,
Which once untangled much misfortune bodes.
This is the hag, when maids lie on their backs,
That presses them and learns them first to bear,
Making them women of good carriage.
This is she!
Old 28-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
I have heard both of the Lillith legends - wasn't she the lady of the lake in the king Arthur stories?
I read in an Irish legends book that she was Adams first wife and when she was kicked out of the Garden she spawned the fairy folk.
Old 28-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Bluegreen

Lillith, according to The Secret Doctrine by H.P. Blavatsky, was Adam's first 'wife'.

Quote:
The animal "Eves" were their foremothers, and the human "Adams" theire forefathers; hence the Kabalistic allegory of Lilith or Lilatu, Adam's first wife, whom the Talmud describes as a "charming woman," ...
Old 28-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Angels3

I was talking to someone yesterday and he explained that she became lillith the demon because supposedly in midevil times, the Church (anyone pretty much in power) didn't like that a woman had power (since she is queen) and they made her a demon. I also thought that she was Adams first wife but I always wondered how she came into creation.
Old 28-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Animus27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels3
I was talking to someone yesterday and he explained that she became lillith the demon because supposedly in midevil times, the Church (anyone pretty much in power) didn't like that a woman had power (since she is queen) and they made her a demon. I also thought that she was Adams first wife but I always wondered how she came into creation.
Lilith was the first wife of Adam in medieval Jewish writings (extra canonical). And due to her unruliness, God banished her from the Garden (I think one of the popular reasons cited was that she wanted to be on top during sex *gasp*).

As a result she swore vengeance against Adam and his new wife, Eve's descendants. Which mostly includes killing newborn infants and pregnant mothers. And sexually seducing men.

Lilith, if I recall correctly, is connected with a Sumerian goddess (Inanna, I think), because they share some symbolism, and they're both connected with sex.

Anyhow, Lilith is not the queen of fairies. Fairies are not a part of Jewish folklore or myth. It'd be like saying Durga is the goddess of creation in Greek myth. lol.
Old 28-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Gracey

“Wildcats shall meet with hyenas; goat-demons shall call to each other. There too Lilith shall repose and find a place to rest.”
NRSV Bible, Isaiah 34:14

Lilith [night in Hebrew and air in Sumerian]

She then went to the Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden. The serpent lived in the roots and she made residence in the trunk while a zu-bird made its home in the branches, according to the oldest book ever written [The Epic of Gilgamesh].

thats all the information i have on lillith
Old 29-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Perceiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrais
I have heard both of the Lillith legends - wasn't she the lady of the lake in the king Arthur stories?

That was Morgan Ley Fey, Arthur's half-sister.
Old 30-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Jazlan

Yes I agree with the demonizing of the woman in power. Adam's wife. How did she come into existence? Perhaps she was already in form and the concept of Adam being there first is also a misconception?