Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 14-05-2024, 11:56 PM
Knower

How do I know myself as Consciousness?

Skipping the details of this talk and starting at the conclusion this is a 6 minute watch and the last minute is my favorite analogy as translated from Adi Shankara's musings. Rupert Spira calls it the Shining Light of Pure Knowing. https://youtu.be/6NxQwOjF7j4?t=3234

It's like the very fact the eye sees reveals its existence and "I think, therefore I Am" reveals mind's existence. The seer, the thinker, the Witness. From the gross to the subtle to the Sublime.

Last edited by J_A_S_G : 15-05-2024 at 01:01 AM.
Old 15-05-2024, 01:18 AM
Knower

What is the Sublime? Lesson 22 - Blessed Silence: https://youtu.be/-1rfCS7kwK8
Old 15-05-2024, 02:51 AM
Master
If I had a like button, I’d press one for those.
Old 15-05-2024, 04:57 AM
Master
I like Swami Sarvapriya Nanda. Great orator. However, the basic ‘problem’ with Advaita Vedanta is that while it tells us what the truth is, it is a narration of facts without assisting the neophyte on how to get there.

If we contrast this with Tantra, we actually walk the terrain, smell the roses, imbibe the elixir, delight in the magnetism.

That said, there are many paths and the universe offers each what is best suited for the veil of delusion to fall away. I’d say, simply sit in silence until identity drops away one day, revealing our luminous essence.
Old 15-05-2024, 07:19 AM
Master
I am confused, how do I know and experiience myself as consciousness, when myself is an illusory duality second?
Old 15-05-2024, 10:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
I am confused, how do I know and experience myself as consciousness, when myself is an illusory duality second?
Nothing to do other than wait another decade or so (sometime in your 50's from my experience). You come to see that you are you. A soul in human form. A human being among other human beings. That's when it all clicks and the confusion dissipates.
~
Old 15-05-2024, 10:28 AM
Master
How do I know myself in consciousness? By reaching out in love, as a human being, to other human beings.
~
Old 15-05-2024, 11:13 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
However, the basic ‘problem’ with Advaita Vedanta is that while it tells us what the truth is, it is a narration of facts without assisting the neophyte on how to get there.
That sounds like neo-Advaita (Direct Path). As I understand, traditional Advaita Vedanta relies on a solid foundation of meditation (Raja Yoga), devotion (Bhakti Yoga) and action/service (Karma Yoga) to clarify and purify mind before the knowledge path (Jnana Yoga) is started. In a monastic setting of course. Jnana Yoga is Self-inquiry and Swami's talks are the shravana and manana aspects, and then it's up to the disciple to immerse oneself in the teaching - nididhyasana.

Nididhyasana is a stage in the journey towards awakening and realisation within Advaita Vedanta and Jnana Yoga. It is described as a rational, cognitive process that involves an effortless and spontaneous meditation on the mahavakyas, which are profound statements from the Upanishads, such as "That art Thou". Nididhyasana is the final step on the path to correctly understanding the meaning of the Mahavakyas.

The word nididhyasana is derived from the Sanskrit root word dhyai, which can be translated as “to think,” or “to call to mind” or “to brood.”

Nididhyasana is the final stage in a four part process, which includes samanyasa, shravana, manana and then nididhyasana. It begins with samanyasa, which are the preparatory processes of cultivating the qualities needed to fully hear the teachings. Then comes shravana, which means “hearing the truth,” and manana which means “contemplating the truth”. Once these have been achieved and refined, nididhyasana arises naturally. It is the culmination of shravana and manana.

Nididhyasana is sometimes described as living and breathing the truth. It achieves the stages on the yogic path of dhyana and samadhi, and allows for a direct intuition of Brahman.
Old 15-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS80
I am confused, how do I know and experiience myself as consciousness, when myself is an illusory duality second?
What do you mean by "I"? What knows you are confused? What knows the illusory duality second? What knows "I"? I'll rephrase that to what does the illusory duality second appear to? The illusory duality second includes mind. What knows mind? What does mind appear to?
Old 15-05-2024, 01:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_A_S_G
What do you mean by "I"? What knows you are confused?
By, I, I mean, the same I and myself that you used as part of the title of this thread: "How do I know myself as Consciousness?"-J_A_S_G.

I am more confused now, than I was before. Can you answer the questions you asked me? What knows mind? What does mind appear to? What do you mean by What knows mind?? and What does mind appear to??