Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 25-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Ascender

prediction and prophecy.

Hello all. Thinking that it would be interesting to explore and share thoughts concerning what differences there may be between prediction and prophecy.
My apologies if such discussion has already happened on these pages. If so, I would be pleased to be directed to it. Thanks. petex
Old 25-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Ascender

Suggestion. That predictions are the result of conscious reasoning relating present or past conditions or events to possible future conditions or events. petex
Old 04-08-2017, 04:45 AM
Pathfinder
Got any specific examples weareunity?
Old 15-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Ascender

Hello DalesRealMeditation. I am sorry, I have not been checking for replies to this thread. I should keep some sort of record of what and where I have posted--not that the number is overwhelming, but that the recollection is sometimes overwhelmed.
To your question. Initially simply hoping to formulate with others some sort of consensus regarding how we today describe "prediction" and "prophecy",--and then see where that takes us?
Thanks for replying.
petex
Old 18-08-2017, 04:04 AM
Master
A prediction is typically in the immediate future. Prophecy is typically in the very distant future.

It's essentially wordplay. A prediction can be a prophecy. A prophecy is a prediction. Etc. etc.

Here is what google says.

A prophecy is a prediction or an utterance from a prophet inspired by his god. It entered English before 1200 with two spellings: prophecie and prophesie. ... To prophesy is to predict something or to utter something inspired by one's god.
Old 18-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Experiencer
And than you have vision, that is 100% exactly how it will happened.
Old 18-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Master
Out of interest does anyone know of a prophecy that actually came true?

Not self fulfilling ones but actual this will happen .. wow it did type prophecy?
Old 18-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Master

In addition to the question raised above:

Does anyone know of a prophecy that actually came true?

I would add another one:

Regarding some of the major unexpected events of the past twenty years (eg 9/11, the 2004 tsunami), were any of these actually predicted beforehand?

Maybe in addition to prediction and prophecy we should also add premonition.

I suspect that most of us in our lives have experienced a premonition that something is about to happen, and sure enough it does. These are usually minor things to do with our everyday lives.

Predictions and prophecies are perhaps on a larger scale or a longer time period. Regarding such predictions, we are always told that nothing is certain. If humanity changes or if circumstances change, then the predicted event may not happen. Or it may not follow the predicted timeline, because linear time on the physical plane is different to time on the other planes. I've given up reading about them because none of them actually happen. And yet the people making these predictions always sound so convincing!

Peace.
Old 18-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Ascender

Thinking that a prophecy believed will alter unfolding history regardless of whether that prophecy is ever fulfilled. It seems likely that those believing in a prophecy will behave/react in some measure differently to the manner in which they would have otherwise behaved/reacted had that prophecy not been made. petex