Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 11-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Newbie ;)
Master
Color ................Space( Time *) i (* Time )Space..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Chop wood, carry water, ......Specifically, equanimous lovingkindness is needed at the most local and individual of levels.
Since what you need for equanimity and care of the mind, body & spirit will be broadly similar to me but equally may vary widely in the unique, individual specifics or "specs".Peace & blessings 7L

Yes some have more gas than others, so an so on for each pecific individual needs in aiding their equanimity of mind via equanimity of body needs ---taking care of business----.

Equanimity of breath, eating, sleeping, bladder, farting, bowels, orgasm and human attention ---thats 8--- are the primary set that aid me personally in finding my personal equanimity of mind.

Others may not have that same set as each human is unique in their specific needs, as you make clear.

That said, we know the No God has No Belly Button, but what about the Yes God? Do they have a naval? Does the Yes God have a MaMa?

Sorry, do not answer ---unless you cant helps yourself--- that as it is really topic for another thread.

"My education has been of my biggest impediments to my learning"...A. Einstein

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 11-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm pretty sure my story about equanimity is in line with the dhamma teachings because this is what is taught where I studied meditation in the formal setting, and I give credit to that training above what is google read, but it isn't true because it is taught as such in Buddhist schools - it's true because when you observe without reacting to experience you have balanced equanimity of mind, and once established in mindful equanimity one is not perturbed easily, and capable of keeping an even keel no matter what the circumstances.

humans are a herd animal. i will never understand it. you have if you believe that is the reason for a spiritual practice have become part of their herd in my view. on the other hand you are going by your own expereince which is really good imo and not just trying to be in the herd.

what im saying is its possible to flow through life and emotions without a break in silence or bliss because transcedence can happen throughout the system. you dont have to live in the crown as an observer. you dont have to avoid the second chakra.

i hope people dont get caught up into believing in living in the crown as the reason. when the reason can be so much greater.

again im not saying its not a good practice to open the crown. im just saying the whole system can transcend.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 11-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Newbie ;)
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I'm pretty sure my story about equanimity is in line with the dhamma....... it's true because when you observe without reacting to experience you have balanced equanimity of mind, and once established in mindful equanimity one is not perturbed easily, and capable of keeping an even keel no matter what the circumstances.

Ex when chopping wood and the mall misses wood and hits your shinbone, the level of equanimity is balanced out by the degree of pain.

Level 1 pain gets a minor tension and gritting of teeth,

Level 2 pain gets the above and a grunt.

Level 3 pain gets the above and curse word

Level 4 pain gets the above and screaming of curse as we fall on the ground holding our leg etc.

Level 5 pain resolves in unconsciousness and equanimity of pain untill we awaken or the pain meds wear-off at the hospital after we have awaken on th on gurney.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool."...R Feynman
Old 11-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
humans are a herd animal. i will never understand it. you have if you believe that is the reason for a spiritual practice have become part of their herd in my view. on the other hand you are going by your own expereince which is really good imo and not just trying to be in the herd.

what im saying is its possible to flow through life and emotions without a break in silence or bliss because transcedence can happen throughout the system. you dont have to live in the crown as an observer. you dont have to avoid the second chakra.

i hope people dont get caught up into believing in living in the crown as the reason. when the reason can be so much greater.

again im not saying its not a good practice to open the crown. im just saying the whole system can transcend.

All that stuff about chakras is just what the herd keeps saying, teehee, I'm only joking as I don't know anything about chakras, so I've never said open these up or anything else. I only said you can have emotions and sensations etc without being disturbed, that's what we call equanimity.

In Buddhist teaching equanimity is the cessation of aversion and craving, and as such equanimity is balance of mind. In my language equanimity is a stable mind that doesn't get rattled easily, doesn't take things too personally, keeps an even keel in all weather.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
All that stuff about chakras is just what the herd keeps saying, teehee, I'm only joking as I don't know anything about chakras, so I've never said open these up or anything else. I only said you can have emotions and sensations etc without being disturbed, that's what we call equanimity.

In Buddhist teaching equanimity is the cessation of aversion and craving, and as such equanimity is balance of mind. In my language equanimity is a stable mind that doesn't get rattled easily, doesn't take things too personally, keeps an even keel in all weather.

i should probably shut up. obviously you and jonesboy have practices that work well and are giving the results y'all want. plus if your saying its not about avoidance of emotions and such then i have nothing to debate with y'all about. except it might get boring. lol.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 11-11-2019, 09:54 PM
Master
running

In Vajrayana/Tantra Buddhism (as I understand it, or perhaps not), emotions are seen as energy and they are not disregarded nor suppressed, but very much included. It is just that the neurotic qualities of them are transmuted into their enlightened, wisdom energy qualities …..

Here is a chart:

To me it looks like dealing with the poison and its antidote is still very much like the dual mind fiddling with the ‘thermostat’, still being mainly preoccupied with the self and centered around the self, whereas the wisdom aspect is more like witnessing things and operating from a nondual or non-self (or Self) .... or Emptiness perspective.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Master

Five Buddha Families expanded, an introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VwTuhfo3uc

Last edited by sentient : 12-11-2019 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by running
i should probably shut up. obviously you and jonesboy have practices that work well and are giving the results y'all want. plus if your saying its not about avoidance of emotions and such then i have nothing to debate with y'all about. except it might get boring. lol.

Just speaking for myself, I'm not trying to get anything from meditation, so I only practice keeping a calm balance of mind, and that really means ceasing to react to whatever experience I have. My view is that gaining something from meditation is fundamentally misguided as meditation becomes a means to an end rather than the truth of what is. The actuality as it is now.

Of course the experts will argue because there's nothing special, and if there's nothing special, why even meditate? No energies or no bliss? Just this experience as it actually is? What's the point? Why do all this if there is no result I want? That lot is being fabricated by the mind, and you can notice the mind coming up with all that. In this way, if you noticed, you understand what meditation is fundamentally.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6r6r
Yes some have more gas than others, so an so on for each pecific individual needs in aiding their equanimity of mind via equanimity of body needs ---taking care of business----.

Equanimity of breath, eating, sleeping, bladder, farting, bowels, orgasm and human attention ---thats 8--- are the primary set that aid me personally in finding my personal equanimity of mind.
Hello r6! I think you are largely but not wholly overlapping with most of humanity, but the order would be different and maybe some of the items. I think it's reasonable to keep it to 10 or so items. But...are farting and bowels wholly different categories? I would probably just lump this into digestive health, LOL...hahaha!

Also, family/friends could be lumped into human interaction and engagement, so I agree this is a critical human need. Far more critical than orgasm. I would probably add fundamental human rights of the physical and intellectual pursuits and liberties...also really critical. The right to be AND the right to think and explore as I please. To exist otherwise is to live under authoritarian paradigms and regimes.

I. Necessary for survival with a baseline of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health:

-- Breath, shelter/security/bodily integrity, eating, sleeping, elimination (bladder/bowel), and human interaction /engagement (6 items)

Note that beyond breathing, being safe and free of rape, coercion, exploitation, violation, and assault is more important than anything else on the list to the intrinsically weaker and the intrinsically more vulnerable.
We cannot exist even at "baseline" with any threat to shelter, security, and bodily integrity. So, for the most part, even the strongest and most courageous of the weaker and more vulnerable exist sub-par, exist below their baseline for minimal well-being...and always have done historically, given the state of humanity to date.

II. Needed to live and not just merely survive/endure (2 items):

-- Fundamental human rights of the physical and intellectual pursuits and liberties; (you cannot turn off your mind...and mine is voracious in its pursuit of substance [truth] and meaning)

[and finally, following all others by a large gap, even if one's drive is high]

-- Sex with another -- if and only if by my informed choice and consent in a context of social, economic, and political parity. And not by any means of force/oppression/exploitation/coercion/deception, which renders it vile and loathesome. (it is not necessary for life, and it is a mutual and therefore sacred act involving 2 human beings and 2 individuated consciousnesses)

Given the lack of parity in these areas, and thus the lack of some pervasive level of exploitation, coercion, deception, and even outright force...sex occurs in imbalanced settings and for many, this is required for the emotional component (to get off, they revel in the power, dominion and control they can enforce during sex).

So, unless there is a true resonance of hearts and minds, sex is frequently somewhat vile and loathesome emotionally and spiritually for the intrinsically weaker and the intrinsically more vulnerable. Despite that it has the potential to be a sacred act of union, if there is a deep and abiding authentic love.

Quote:
Others may not have that same set as each human is unique in their specific needs, as you make clear.

Exactly. Getting to what is essential for equanimity to arise and to be maintained in parity and right-alignment is a critical conversation to have. There is some basic commonality, but there is some equally basic and foundational difference which cannot be abrogated or denied. It simply is. And so manifesting equanimous lovingkindness on the ground, day to day, is not a "one size fits all" situation. Even at the broadest levels, beyond item 1) breathing.

Otherwise, if only those that are intrinsically weaker and intrinsically more vulnerable physically are persistently required to grow, stretch, accommodate, and yet also take ownership, then this existence becomes toxic, abusive, and yet predicable...

...as well as also being specifically vile and loathesome regarding the context of the core intimacy required to reproduce the species.

That said, we know the No God has No Belly Button, but what about the Yes God? Do they have a naval? Does the Yes God have a MaMa?

Sorry, do not answer ---unless you cant helps yourself--- that as it is really topic for another thread.[/quote]Hmm. I will leave that to ponder for another day, LOL.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 12-11-2019, 07:20 PM
Newbie ;)
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7luminaries
Hello r6!....... And so manifesting equanimous lovingkindness on the ground, day to day, is not a "one size fits all" situation. Even at the broadest levels, beyond item 1) breathing. Peace & blessings . 7L

Saftey security etc can come in but I think of those in past born into a world that has good and bad fruit, good and bad animals, good and bad water, good and bad gases etc.

1} breathing ---ergo a born-out baby-- is its level of contemplation significantly differrent than existence as a fetus, and of course the fetus also has gone through many celluar changes over 9 months?

2} eating ---contemplation during a warm wet nipple is very close to bliss and that is my best guess. A bottle is maybe 50? to 70? percent less effective in approaching bliss,

3} sleeping --- I guess fetus sleeps{?},and contemplates{?} at some age. The newborn definitely sleeps a lot ---important for immune system as is mothers milk, -- no need to torture, just keep people from sleeping long enough and they will tell you anything you want to know. I was surprised that sleep deprivation was on the list of torture items.

4} bladder and bowel processing -- constricted or to much flow is outside of equanimity ergo mind is not less than equanimous controls direction of all contemplation.

5} human attention ---interaction with same species ---family of course and other--- is key and i more likely to lead to the following,

6} orgasm ---this one is going to happen one way or another. Pros and cons to both ways have their specific kinds of resultant consequences. In a sense it is likened to being single or married in havings its pros and cons.

Equanimity of breath, eating, sleeping, digestive processes, human attention and orgasm in that order are the primary set of 7 that aid me personally in finding my personal equanimity of mind.

Contemplation --as mediation-- comes naturally and occasionally the Universe throws me{ us } a curve ball that comes close to my{ our} heads { safety security } and awakens me to places where I was being not cautious enough or too cautious.

Uni-V-erse as God, may have a belly button, or, as set of many belly-buttons that connect --i.e cause and effect--- from its last phase of existence prior to the BBang event/WOW! we surmise occur 13.5 billion or so years ag