Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 10-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Knower
why do you meditate?

I thought it would be interesting to find out what your objective/ with meditation is/are. Feel free to add you own objectives to my suggestions :)
Do you do it to relax or manage stress?
Do you do to purify your karma?
Do you do it to find non-duality (realize there is no I)?
For some other reason?
“Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics.”

—Albert Einstein
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Seeker

My ultimate purpose is nonduality but also peace with my life. I have always been under the scorn of someone's eye for some reason and I need a way to get out of the rut of being the victim of whatever comes my way. Ive been meditating seriously for a little bit now but my life has already drastically changed. For the better
Old 11-03-2016, 12:43 AM
What a fabulous question!!
Because I have noticed there ARE so many diff reasons!

My answer would be the same as always...why do you want to cuddle with your lover/spouse in the afternoon?

To be with your 'beloved'...or newborn...whatever you love.
To give your love and receive his or hers...to bathe in it...
accept it would be His or Hers. ...the Divine's.

The love is where it's at; more and more...deeper and deeper, it's an addition to love...
I have everything else.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-03-2016, 01:11 AM
Knower
Multiple reasons.

First and foremost would be communion with my creator and all that is good in the universe. We are on a plane of pain and suffering; we need respite. Meditation is one primary way to accomplish this.

Second, I do it to change my thought patterns. Our brainwaves are entrained with whatever we dwell upon most. When it's stressful activities and perceived threats, we are forcing our bodies to produce more stress hormones, and our brains begin to perceive everything as a threat. This is no way to live, so I want to change that.

Third, I do it for exploration. I am fascinated by the mysteries of what is out there, and my experiences to date have been mindblowing. To explore the possibilities of meditation is to make the most of the tools we have at our disposal as human beings, without the need for external crutches to give us either knowledge or any kind of high. We see the real through direct experience.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulsInMotion
We are on a plane of pain and suffering...
Second, I do it to change my thought patterns.
Please don't be mad at me...but this would be a great place to start changing thoughts thinking
this is a plane of pain and suffering!!!

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Knower
I would like to think that it isn't... unfortunately my experience tells me otherwise, regardless of how much I "think positive". All I can control is what I do, not the rich and powerful, or what they put in foods, or the genetics I was born with.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulsInMotion
All I can control is what I do, not the rich and powerful, or what they put in foods, or the genetics I was born with.
Ok.
My thinking goes more like this: I would say to myself...I can control all my thoughts, and thus, my feelings,
my emotions and, then, in turn my environment and all the things that come to me...
this is the power that is within all of us.
I can choose what I focus on, and thus, bring forth a happier
world for me and others....all by
doing what appears to others as 'doing" nothing....living a life that appears to be of non-action.

Different take....and so far so good! (For the last decade.)

Old 11-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Suspended
I meditate because I have a mental illness, and it helps me to be able to sleep better, just actually relax, and sort through destructive thoughts. It also helps me be more tolerant of people I otherwise wouldn't be able to tolerate. It opens up new awareness of people and energy and the world around me. Which is a good thing, as I'm working on changing my view of the world. Recently every once in a while I will randomly get a new surge of energy that let's me see everything differently, with a new awareness, so that's motivation to keep doing it too.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Pathfinder
Right now, I usually use guided meditations because I feel like even if I fall asleep, my subconscious still benefits.

I often use it to balance my chakras. Confidance. Stop anxiety and overthinking. Things like that.

When I do yoga, the practice and shavasana at the end is for relaxation.

I struggle with self guided meditation for enlightenment because it's hard to find enough quiet time at this stage in my life.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Master
When I was 18, I had a spontaneous experience of total inner peace - a state of mind/soul of clarity but without emotional or sense content. In other words, beyond what we think of as the five senses (touch, taste, hearing, smell, sight).

I wanted to be able to experience this again and be able to experience it daily. I learned a form of meditation that accomplished that. The experience I'd had and that I learned to re-enter is considered to be a level of samadhi.

So that is one reason I meditate. But I also learned to "watch my own thoughts" - which is a valuable practice and is emphasized in certain forms of Buddhism. I can benefit from this whether I'm sitting for formal meditation or in many situations during daily life. It helps for learning not to "let your mind run away with you".

More recently I became involved with energy practices involved with my own - and other people's - healing (on inner levels as well as physical). So these are part of my meditative life, too.