Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Pamuya

Purifying Karma

I am curious to know your practice in purifying Karma. How often? which mantras if any. I personally purify daily with my morning meditation, reciting mantras given to me by my teacher.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Experiencer
The Buddha said:

"Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech, & intellect."

Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.063.than.html#part-5

Therefore, the best way one can purify karma is through wise reflection about activities of body, speech and mind and to practice mindfulness in the here and now.

The more mindful one is, the less suffering is created for oneself and others.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Guide
Hello,i just watch my thoughts and actions knowing the pivitol point of karma is INTENT.
My mantra is to Divine mother Meera many times a day.
In pure light and truth.
Krishna.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Pamuya

I understand what karma Is how to avoid bad karma, I am asking about purifying bad karma that is already with me from this and past lives. Or do you not purify for this?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamuya
I understand what karma Is how to avoid bad karma, I am asking about purifying bad karma that is already with me from this and past lives. Or do you not purify for this?

Pure acts and intentions in the present will purify the past.

No point in speculating about karma from past lives.The Buddha said that trying to work out the precise results of karma is an unconjecturable.

Quote:
AN 4.77 Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html

_/\_
Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Pamuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
Pure acts and intentions in the present will purify the past.

No point in speculating about karma from past lives.The Buddha said that trying to work out the precise results of karma is an unconjecturable.

_/\_
A bit confused, You state that pure actions will purify the past, then you quote that it cant be done. I can see pure acts of today purifing todays karma, the future and dedication of the merit to other beings, this is excellent and am doing this. Not trying to workout precise results of the past karma, just to purify generally.

Last edited by Pamuya : 04-11-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Pamuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishna
Hello,i just watch my thoughts and actions knowing the pivitol point of karma is INTENT.
My mantra is to Divine mother Meera many times a day.
In pure light and truth.
Krishna.
Thank you, I will look into this.
Currently I use the mantra OM BENZA SATO HUNG(a shortened version of the orginal mantra), a purification practice, according to Tibetan Buddhism, is meditation on Dorje Sempa and repetition of his mantra.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 AM
Knower

hi Pamuya.
You can,t purify your karma.You must experience it.If it were possible to negate our karma there would would be no need for introspection.No need for the path, no need for the teachings we could just dissolve the consequences of our actions.All karma comes to fruition.But remember karma is neither good nor bad. No matter what happens ,If you learn something from its fruition then it has been beneficial.Otherwise its just more samsara.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamuya
A bit confused, You state that pure actions will purify the past, then you quote that it cant be done. I can see pure acts of today purifing todays karma, the future and dedication of the merit to other beings, this is excellent and am doing this. Not trying to workout precise results of the past karma, just to purify generally.

The quote shows that we can't always know exactly what the precise results of past actions will be.

However, in the short term, we can see the results of our thoughts and intentional actions and the possible stress these might be causing ourselves and others. If we try to act in a kind and responsible way with pure intentions, as well as practice meditation, then this will help to minimise any negativity that we may have been accumulating, as well as create the conditions for mental tranquility.

The dedication of merit helps us to have a more open and caring attitude towards our fellow beings, but we can't really transfer our own benefits to others, its a symbolic act.

With metta,

Sam

Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Master
Perhaps Buddhism is awaken into realization on present condition , present emotion , NOW .....not living on the past , not living for the future as there is no past or future ........is a process of realizing emotions and as we travel into this path , awaken to Buddhism , one will free of emotion towards emptiness back into nothingness ......Buddhism is a natural process of liberation from own emotion and if one confused over own emotion caused by own knowledge , one will create more emotion and more emotion will lead to longer / more suffering journey into self liberation ..........so in my current understanding , beliefs / faith that one created from own knowledge , attachment on such knowledge will creates more emotions ....and this lead to longer journey into emptiness .
Buddhism is beyond knowledge and exploration on Buddhism base on knowledge will caused confusion and one will always in circle of own emotions for life after life ...............
Thks
CSEe