Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Christian

Wink Sitting vs. Lying

Hey everybody!
Christian here. Just wondering whether you prefer sitting to laying and why. I prefer laying because I can get more relaxed when I lay. I know that sitting is technically better, but don't understand why. Please explain?

A Thousand Blessings,
Christian
Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Master

The experts say you should sit to meditate as lying down you will fall asleep. I used to sit because someone I used to know kept saying to me you must sit as lying down is lazy and you will fall asleep.
I have tried sitting. I do not care what the experts say anymore. I will do what I think is best for me. Sitting is O.K. if you do not intend to sit for a long time. The longer you sit, the more uncomfortable it is. Then I start aching. I recently found out that is why the experts say you should do yoga as well as meditation. I could do yoga for the next 10 years and I think I would still get sore sitting. When I lie down to meditate I do not fall asleep unless it is late at night. If you are not tired you do not fall asleep. That is how I am. I would rather be comfortable than being uncomfortable. A few months ago I went to a yoga meditation course and the teacher got us to sit at the edge of a hard chair so you had no back support. How can you relax like that? She showed us other ways to sit uncomfortably. One other thing and that is, you can fall asleep when sitting to meditate. There is no guarantee that you will stay awake.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 AM
Master

I agree w/ astralsuzy, I think they don't want you to snooze. I use a recliner and sometimes I fall asleep but oh well, I must have been tired! Doesn't prevent good things from happening.

I meditated and fell asleep once in the recliner. I woke up and was still contemplating getting up when poof! Kundalini.

People have rules for things because it's worked that way in the past but it doesn't mean it won't work other ways too. Your intent is the important part. At least that's how I see things.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Resonance

Dear Christian

Both astralsuzy and in_progress has a very good point in that you have to find what works for you. However, I have a different experience than them, so I'll make a case for sitting to balance the replies a bit.

It's correct that a key thought to this discussion is how difficult it is to fall asleep when you sit instead of lying down. It all depends on how easily you drift off when you are lying flat on your back. I'd like to point out, though, that meditation isn't necessarily the same as relaxation. Meditation is usually about keeping a single focus, be it through a mantra, focusing on your breath, visualising energy, or whatever technique you use. Day-dreaming is not meditation. The best definition I've read on what meditation is, is "To concentrate on the space between two thoughts".

I really started meditating on a ten-day retreat and I forced myself to learn to sit with a straight back that way. Wow, did I ache and hurt in the beginning, but wow, how grateful I am that I forced myself to learn. Now I can sit for an hour without getting any aches. Now, my body recognise my meditation pose as it's not a natural pose for the body in the west. Finding my meditation focus is now much easier for me sitting cross-legged than when lying down.

Another thing about sitting, is that the more flexible you are, the less you need to use the muscles in your lower back to stay upright (which is why the lotus posture is the traditional meditation posture in the East). The closer your knees are to the floor, the more your spince balances your body naturally and without using the muscles much. You can get the same effect by raising your hips by sitting on a cushion or something similar.

Lying down is a meditation and yogic posture as well, by the way. The only requirement is to keep the spine straight. But when rules come between you and meditation, always choose that which will make you meditate, be it if you slouch on the couch or lie in your hammock. IO only write all this because I believe it's good to be aware of other ways of doing things and not be too set in one's ways

With much love
Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Lostgirl

Sitting enables you to breath with more ease :)
Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostgirl
Sitting enables you to breath with more ease :)

I agree. It also helps to move energy through the body. This assists the senses.

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Master
I prefer laying and if I fall alseep I usually just figure my soul is out there traveling the universe or the heavens doing meditation for me on a deeper level.
Spiritlite.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Master
I find half reclined helps - I have my best success in a rocking chair.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
earthprowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
I prefer laying and if I fall alseep I usually just figure my soul is out there traveling the universe or the heavens doing meditation for me on a deeper level.
Spiritlite.

i totally agree with you Spiritlite
Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Elven valkyrie

I prefer to sit in a reclined position. Half laying half sitting.
If I lay, I fall asleep - not very wise if you have candles lit. If I sit upright, my shoulders, back (and sometimes hips and ankles) ache after 5 mins and I have to keep shuffling.

I use laying meditation when I do want to fall asleep for the night. But since most of my meditation I'm aiming to contact spirits, angels, higher self. I would like to receive info and remember it which isn't guaranteed if you fall asleep. Not that I mind falling asleep when meditating (without trying to sleep) for the same reason Spiritlite said, but I remember dreams every night and can't always work out the meanings. By having the rare vision or having spirit contact me when I'm conscious, I think I'll better be able to understand the messages. Haven't heard voices yet, but I get the ringing in the ears.