Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 21-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Clawing

Does anybody know a way to get a cat to discourage clawing up things? Like a deterrent or a repellent. Something that is not harmful to small kids. I have never had a cat that is so into clawing things. He did it to leather and my water bed now.
Old 21-06-2013, 08:00 PM
glpoisson

Most cats hate the smell of citrus. If you do not mind it spray areas the cat claws with a citrus aromatic oil or put sachets in the area. You can test the cats tolerance for citrus by peeling an orange and offering your hand to them immediately afterwards. If they to not like it they will get that funny look on their face like "who are you and what did you do to yourself?!" Most people like the smell of citrus so it should not offend the humans.

Usually the clawing is a mark the territory thing as cats have scent glands on their paws so it may be a matter of jealousy if there is another cat in the household.

I use human nail clippers to trim my cats nails every week or so. Be very careful not to cut the (I do not remember what it is called but it is the pink area you can see within the claw). I do it to keep my cat from kneading me and making puncture marks. She still kneads but I can remain unbloodied now.
Old 22-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator
You know, I'd never heard of trimming cats' claws! I used to regularly trim my dog's claws, but never thought of cats!
I abhor the trend of "de-clawing" cats! I can't handle that at all. How can a cat climb a tree or something like that if it hasn't got claws? But trimming -that sounds ok.
I am feeding and keeping an eye on -a neighbour's cat until August. Every time I visit I let her on my lap for a cuddle, as I know that's the only human contact and affection she gets right now, so I let her have a "love-in". But oh boy! When she 'kneads' and purrs, I let her do it because I know she needs the love....but I come away with puncture-marks!
Old 22-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks Guys, I think I will cut his nails and try the citrus.
Old 22-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Ascender
Hello, tealtwist! It's natural for cats to scratch. The best answer is to encourage them to scratch only in one place - a special scatching post or patch, preferably with some cat mint or valerian sprayed on it to attract them to it. The scratching aids are available in almost all pet shops and aren't very expensive.

The advice given by the other people above is also very good, but you might want to read this page as well:
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Cat-fr...wing-Furniture

Please scroll on down the page to read all the advice (below the ads). Hope that helps!

Last edited by LPC : 22-06-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 22-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Ok LPC thanks. He has a scratch post. I will look into a spray for it. I like him sleeping in the bed with me. I feel like I am punishing him by not letting him in. My other cat learned he couldn't come in the bed when I started co-sleeping. He rarely clawed in the house.
Old 22-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Ascender
If you can get liquid valerian to spray on, so much the better. Cats go crazy for it!
Old 22-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
haha....that Valerian smells like bad dog Good stuff but pooh.....

Catnip smells friendlier but sends them into a bliss-trance!
Old 22-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
My cat came with catnip. I haven't used it yet. lol I tried it on storm once he didn't care for it.
Old 22-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi

Catnip smells friendlier but sends them into a bliss-trance!

oh oh, this could explain things .... I think my neighbor mistook catnip in the garden for spearmint !! He has been walking around in a bliss- trance all day ! and he is not a cat, lol !

ps .... reminder to plant more catnip

Expect Miracles !

Sometimes in the winds of change ~ we find our true direction