Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 16-09-2012, 12:05 AM
thinkthinkthink

halloween

Hi everyone
I was born on halloween and although it is a brill time to have a birthday anyway (autum time, fancy dress partys and all the general spooky stuff)
I have heard the people born on this day are protected throughout life??? Any one know or have any other input?

Thanks

Peace
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Occultist

Welcome Think.
Yes being born on the holy day of Samhain will grant you protection through out life. But remember protection is only given to those who are in need of it.
So be wise through out your days with this gift unless it is put to the test..
Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Quintessence

Where did you hear this... lore? Do you remember?

Personally, I see no reason to believe it is true given the calendar is a human construct and Halloween is not mathematically calculated relative to solar cycles.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 AM
Occultist

Samhain dear not all hallow's eve.
It is celebrated Oct 31.
Its the last Harvest festival and magickal day due to the thinning of the veil.
It is said in Lore that people born on this day because of the Thinning of the viel that they will have a more clear/clairvoyant sight and be blessed by the Fae,. Also very powerful spells can be cast on this eve.
Alot of these Myths and Lore is passed down verbally by our familys and there grimoire or BOS..Alot of Celts and Gypsies could not read or write so we past it down in song or rhyme or story. To keep our way of life and beliefs to be continued.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Quintessence

Based on what I've heard from an academically scrupulous Celtic reconstructionist I know, we don't actually know exactly when the Celtic sacred days were honored. The Gregorian calendar didn't even exist then, so they certainly didn't follow it. *chuckles*

Regardless, I do not use fixed dates for cross quarters in my tradition, so in my tradition there is nothing special about that date (American culture notwithstanding). I also do not believe in this "thinning of the veil" as nothing in my personal experience has substantiated this lore and I have no reason to follow the lore blindly since my path is not Celtic. *shrug*
Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Master
The Festival Calender is a combination of "old" Agricultural Show dates which were geared to the seasons [which explains why the dates are given as "about"] and old Druid Holy days. The current calender oddly enough was drawn up by Gardner and Ross Nichol.

"this "thinning of the veil" as nothing in my personal experience has substantiated this lore"
Not really "lore" as such. The Thinning is based on two factors - places between places, and times between times. Samhain Eve combines a few of these - time between two days, time between two seasons, and time between years. Not really a Celtic thing, more shamanic. Of all the "thin times", Samhain is the one needing the greatest care - I put myself in a difficult position last year "striding the hedge" without a backup and using an unfamiliar "place between places".
Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Quintessence

The notion that Samhain is a place between places or time between times is lore-based, though. You have to accept that it is a time between two seasons/years, which is lore-based, isn't it? When the seasons and years start and end is different across cultural traditions. IIRC, Celtic culture specifically is one that regarded the change/end to occur around Samhain. Others not so much.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Master
Taking it back to it's roots, it is all based on farming originally. - when to plough, when to sow, when to reap. The farmers instinctively know that everything has it's proper time determined by nature.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Master
So, where will you be this Hall.. er, Samhain this year, norsie?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Occultist

Samhain is not a American thing at all and does not go with an American Calendar is a wee bitty older then that.
We are not asking you to believe our heritage and belief system at all.
We are simply answering your questions.
As a Gypsy Pictish Witch I feel Samhain in my bones as it draws near. I also listen as the veil thins and the meditation and celebration is upon us. But again if you don't believe me or Norse that's up to you. Looking forward to Yule as well. Gathering Cauldron supplies as I go and orders from everywhere to get the right concoction.