Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM
White Feather

What do people think of charging for readings?

Hi, I am a sensitive just exploring my spirituality, but when I visit a medium or go for healing, I can't get over the fact that at the end of a half hour/ hour session I must hand over between £25-£40. to me a good 7-8 hours wage. Personally if spirit ever wish to use me to help others, by giving healing and readings, I wouldnt feel right taking this amount of money from someone who is seeking help. Some mediums make a fortune, surely this isnt a spiritual thing to do, I cant make sense of it? I Would love to know what some of you, who probably accept this sum of money for readings think about my veiw, which I express with the most respect and love for those who do accept money for their work, and mean no offence by.
White feather x
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM
midnightstar

I personally don't agree with charging for readings, to my way of thinking mediums who charge are doing it simply for the money not for the pleasure of helping.

No offence to anyone
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
White Feather

I am pleased im not alone in this view, thank you for replying.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Master

Paying for the reading decreases the value of the reading for me. I am a skeptical person by nature, maybe even cynical, and the feeling that the reader could be willing to say anything that'd be plausible enough to earn him my bucks would be in the front of my mind. MAYBE if I had a free reading the first time and it was stunningly good, I might consider paying a little for the next one.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Sangress

I dont really like the idea of paying for readings because I consider it a rip off even if the medium/psychic is legitimate hecause with a bit of research you can always find someone who will read for free online or even amongst friends if they are intuitive.

I have a lot of questions regarding people selling their gifts..or should i say offering their services for a price?

I don't think any worse of the people who do their thing for cash because I suppose we all need money, right? Although sometimes I do wonder if they are simply taking advantage if their own gifts and "selling themselves" in a way and whether those kinds of actions will have repercussions on the way they develop.

Maybe doing readings and such for money specifically limits certain empathic and connecting skills because it is focused on the reward rather than the person they are reading? Maybe it would lessen the chance of those psychics trying new methods because they want to look professional? Maybe it would devalue those psychics skills and as a result cause them to misuse them simply because of a lack of self worth?

I also wonder how much jealousy and bad will they incite from other psychics and how that affects them.

I doubt I will ever gain answers to most of my questions, but thats generally my opinion and what comes to mind when I think of this topic.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Ascender

Well it's okay if they are charging something, especially if it's their full-time job. They need some form of income to live off. You may not like it but it's the way it has to be if you're to survive in this reality. But yeah, you do wonder why some 'spiritual teachers' and whatnot charge exorbitant fees for their services. I hear Deepak Chopra gets paid around $70, 000 per presentation. Puts things into perspective a bit more.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Master

In Norway we have/had a famous healer who never asks for money, but there is a box on the wall in his home where people can put some if they feel like. It has seen a lot of money over the years. I like it, it means you can pay for results and show your thankfulness too.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM
mac

This topic is a regular on forum boards. It's an area where there'll always be disagreement on whether, or how much, practitioners should charge for their time.

Ask yourself what you're expecting, what you're getting, and whether YOU feel the result is worth the charge made. You're the only one who can judge if you're getting value for money. If you are then pay the price (or go elsewhere to see if you get better value)

If you're not satisfied, then just go elsewhere... Same as you would for any other service.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM
I pay people for their time.
Money is a form of appreciation.
If someone charges too little for their services I pay them what they are worth.
What? People want tobacco or a pie as an ''offering'' - well, maybe on the rez that's ok. Or a wealthy person doing the service or healing.
(A reading, to me, is a healing..)
It doesn't help with the bills.
And I always put cash in the ''offering'', period, even if I have to hide it.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM
SoulSparkles

Hi there, well this may make me unpopular but I own a New Age Mystical Gift Shop, and whilst I would always encourage people to learn how to do their own readings so that 1, they are not handing their power over to someone else and 2, they are developing their own skills and intuition, there were always people who asked constantly for readings....

So I employed a reader, several over the last few years, they charge £12.50 for an untaped reading and £17.50 for a taped reading! Out of that I as the venue would recieve £2.50 for the untaped and £5.00 for the taped and the reader would receive the rest!

I also provide spiritual healing which I do for free, however crystal healing which would be an hour or more long session and involves alot more technique, shall we say, costs £27.50 a session and a session of hypnotherapy I charge £35.00.

All my prices are so much cheaper than others, ive found, but thats because im not out to compete with anyone with that side of my business...

I believe people should charge for readings and the services ive discribed above if it is their income. We train, go to collage, gain diplomas and work hard just like 'any other job' you would be paid for....

Hair dressing is a skill, you are helping someone, you provide them a service, you would never expect to receive that for free so why expect the time of anyone in a proffession for free? We would never say,'' I went and had a massage and they had the cheak to charge me'' or ''the wedding planner charged me for planning my wedding when she was meant to be helping me'' Anything anyone can do or has learnt to do is a 'gift' . Money is energy after all..

That does not make me a selfish person, it makes me a person who works in the spiritual field, and earns a living like anyone else...

SoulSparkles