Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 08-04-2011, 05:36 AM
Rave845

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo Mantra how does it help?

I was told by someone to say this Mantra a few times a day. I am new to mantras, how exactly is this going to help me? Is it similar to an affirmation as in it gives off good energy/intent? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:15 AM
pre-dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rave845
I was told by someone to say this Mantra a few times a day. I am new to mantras, how exactly is this going to help me? Is it similar to an affirmation as in it gives off good energy/intent? Thanks!
"When deluded, one is called an ordinary being, but when enlightened, one is called a Buddha. This is similar to a tarnished mirror that will shine like a jewel when polished. A mind now clouded by the illusions of the innate darkness of life is like a tarnished mirror, but when polished, it is sure to become like a clear mirror, reflecting the essential nature of phenomena and the true aspect of reality. Arouse deep faith, and diligently polish your mirror day and night. How should you polish it? Only by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p.4).

From this one can see that this is not really an affirmation but a method to erase one's shortcoming and at the same time express that we are a mirror, unpolished maybe, but capable of polishing it to pristine clarity through our own efforts.

There are other mantras such as the nembutsu, "Namo Amida Butsu" (jap.) or "Namo Amituo Fo" (chin.), or "Namo quan she in pusha" (using Quan Yin as the representative Buddha) which is an expression of gratitude and faith. Pick any one you like, runs easy off your tongue, and sounds good to you. Then practice, practice, practice. Instead of thinking our common nonsense one might as well repeat a powerful mantra which stabilizes one's mind and opens the heart to the universal Buddha(s).
Old 09-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Experiencer
A very simple and effective mantra -is 'Bud-dho' . The results will be a peaceful, calm mind, and mental clarity.

Here's some instructions on how to to do it:

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php

Last edited by Samana : 09-04-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:02 PM
sunshineofthesoul

I love to chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo I love how it makes me feel as I am chanting. It helps raise my vibration, to a higher level.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineofthesoul
It helps raise my vibration, to a higher level.

Could you explain what you mean by your "vibration" please?

kind wishes,

Samana