Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville
I have to admit, that the persuit of ones true self carries implications that the fella I see in the mirror is a conditioned facade. Be that as it may, the fella in the mirror Is me.

technically speaking, the face in the mirror is your image not you.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
What does it mean to be ourselves?

If the self is dynamic and not an actual entity, is there a time when we are ''ourselves''?

Some say when you're still you are yourself.
Others feel 'alive' and themselves when they are active.

I guess it's a matter of preference, and claiming that a particular state is the true self gives us no explanation why the non-self state exists.

hahaha now you are talking about non self. yes these are preferences, i have mu ideas of self and you have yours, but i don't think that the OP wishes to discuss the merits of our concepts of self, on the contrary it is this kind of discussions that he questions the usefulness in spiritual community. if i get him right .

Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Neville

behind the eyes hybrid, behind the eyes Whatever is going on within you,
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid
technically speaking, the face in the mirror is your image not you. .
Maybe it's your copy who looks at you from a different world. Try and enter the portal, maybe your heads collide.
Quote:
but i don't think that the OP wishes to discuss the merits of our concepts of self, on the contrary it is this kind of discussions that he questions the usefulness in spiritual community. if i get him right .
Hmm okay.. Shepherd asked if it's useful to chase the true self. I would say no, because 'true self' and 'false self' imply entities.
I see the 'self' as more dynamic, more as a verb and not a noun. Did the noun made the verb or did the verb made the noun?

So to answer Shepherd's question - I think it's pointless chasing true selves, as it creates inner entities and inner struggles between the things you like and the things you dislike, which become aspects of these selves. Instead of having all these battles in the head, we should recognize all of it as elements of a dynamic process.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:59 PM
shepherd

Quote:
That reminds me of The Alchemyst by Paulo Coelho.

no idea.

its a famous story about a young boy who goes on a journey when all along what he was looking for was right at the start.

Quote:
Who provides the map and why do they think they have the answers to provide the details of the journey spiritualists should take?

it helps them along the way and they want to share it.

Hmm, maybe but I have explored lots of maps on the journey which many professed to be true but in the end they were true to them but not to me.

I had to learn to create my own map and trust my own inner direction.

Quote:
as an aside, it doesn't sound derogatory when you pointed out that some behaviors of flaunting their profound experiences were happening here. and i agree to the extent that at least it is brought to the light of our awareness if not totally addressed.

I agree, I wasnt being rude or finger pointing, I made an observation due to the effects of what people say is their true selves.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 AM
shaya48

True selves

Hi about true selves.

This is only my opinion from my personal experiences()) it will probably be shot down in flames) (whatever) but for me finding my true self has been a blessing for me as i was living to being whoever i needed to be for others so i would be loved, excepted and wanted by anyone who was kind to me, before i understood anything of life and myself and how my experiences showed me in many ways that i wasnt happy within myself living to a false happiness or to the expectations of others and pleasing others who didnt respect me and abused me.

We are all born with the truths and untruths of ourselves, before we come here, but as individuals we all have our little suitcase of learning lessons with us when we arrive here on the earth plane, i know myself it can very difficult to find your way,you only have so much knowledge to guide you at any given time, i was stumbling through life, trying to do the best i could for myself, but always finding myself in a big mess in one way or the other,.

I didnt know what i know now, i knew nothing of intuition, emotional stuff, i thought if you love someone you receive love back, and it didnt work out that way, i was so lost in myself and my life, i didnt know much of anything and it took me a very long time to learn from some very painfull experiences.

Those experiences gave me a good look at myself and why i was not living to the truth of myself, by excepting any ole thing when i was going in blind along in life i was living to my lower self, the self that will be glad to please others, live to a false happiness pleasing others , loving another with no love given in return, putting up with physical and mental abuse,and basicly excepting crumbs on the floor instead of a full meal at the table.

After many experiences, and emotional hurts and disappipointments, slowly i could see what i was doing wrong, where i was going wrong, my faults, my strengths, my weaknesses all started to reveal themselves to me, which gave me some new knowledge to be able to deal with things in a better way for myself, all the time getting closer to being able and allowing myself to be more aware of my true identity and kind of person i want to be for myself so i could believe there was something better waiting for me in life other than what i seemed to be going through all the time, I started to trust my gut feelings with alot of things, and that proved to be a good thing to do for my self, as i used to go against it many times and end up with a new lesson to learn, and that was a good thing too, but trusting my gut when i chose and felt strongly to do also stopped myself from repeating an uneccesary lesson over and over which also led me to a new experience so either way its all good with our gut feelings which ever we choose .

All i can say is life is our greatest teacher if we let it, no one is perfect here, we are all here doing the best we can with the knowledge we have at any given time we learn more wisdom (if we choose) as we go along, we dont always know who we really are until we have the necessary lessons of life that we come here to learn in each life time we will have on the earth plane.

We dont always find the truth of anythings straight away, let alone of ourselves life will come in at any time and throw something new at us, to show us another truth, another untruth, another way, a different way, a more loving or compassionate way of treating another or dealing with someone or a situation , and allowing ourselves to be treated in a more respectful loving way,and probably for most of us we can say i didnt know i could allow myself to live better, do things in a different way, say no to abuse of any kind ,allow myself to live my life the way i want , reject what isnt right for us, let go of what isnt serving us or our higher good,until we learned many valuable lesson about ourselves our higher selves , our lower selves, and the real us.

I dont pretend to be anything i am not, i have my faults and good points like everyone else, my knowledge and wisdom which i have earned, to me is a precious gift, it doesnt make me better than anyone else, my spiritual path doesnt make me more enlightened than anyone else, i am so glad at my time of life, to be able to know who i really am,and give thanks to that my true self, not the blind person who was stumbling through life, without a clue of where i would end up.

I think i have been cursed and blessed at the same time lol by either way i made it through, alot wiser and still have time left to live to how i was meant to live my life to the person i truly know now as the real me and love.

Love and Light Shaya.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 AM
Ciqala

Quote:
technically speaking, the face in the mirror is your image not you.

hah, i love that quote, it is true.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Master
What if it's true... that there is a True Self, hidden behind the surface self identity?

Wouldn't you want to find out for yourself?

Of course, that would mean giving up assumptions and cautions and expectations...
just for a moment...
just to become aware in the open quiet presence of your own being... beyond the mind.

It's really not the threat the conditioned ego-mind believes it is.

Xan

Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Master
Some of us are simply compelled to investigate the Truth of ourselves and all existence...
It's built-in, as if our true Self were pursuing us rather than the other way around...
And some people, well... not yet.

Xan

Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Master
Shepherd...

Sometimes I wonder why you are involved with this spiritual forum, since you seem preoccupied with denying anything of a spiritual nature.

with kindness
Xan

Closed Thread