PDA

View Full Version : Which hand do you hold your pendulum with?

Solitary Faery
16-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Nearly every guide/instructions/manuals on using pendulums tell you to hold it with your off hand so that it taps into the side of your brain that you're not consciously using. For me that would be right-handed. However, I cannot get the pendulum (any of the three I own plus other odd necklaces and things I've tried with) to respond to me unless I'm holding it with my right hand. As a side note, I am pedidextrous (I have ambidexterity in my feet and this is a very unusual trait). It literally does not move at all with my left hand, yet with my right hand, it begins to swing quite swiftly rather immediately... What hand do you suspend your pendulum with and do you think it really matters?

~~Solitary Faery~

Adrienne
16-01-2012, 02:34 PM
As a side note, I am pedidextrous (I have ambidexterity in my feet and this is a very unusual trait).

hi Solitary Faery,

For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us you swing your pendulum using your feet ! :tongue:

I use my right hand, which is my writing hand. I just always have, I have never read any guide manuals for a pendulum, so I didn't know about using the off hand.

Interesting question.

Dream Angel xx

Solitary Faery
17-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Well, today I had a long talk with my metaphysical teacher about several of the questions I posted last night. Pertaining to this one, she told me that yes, it makes sense that holding it with your off hand would access the lesser used side of your brain, but that really it boils down to which hand works for you in dowsing. She said if you're a right handed writer and also a right handed dowser, there's nothing wrong or unusual with that. So yeah, that was the answer I got...

Adrienne
17-01-2012, 03:21 PM
so I guess I can continue as I was :smile: thanks for asking your question

Solitary Faery
17-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Definitely. I'm glad, too. I was reading left and right on these online manuals that if you don't use your off-hand, you can't access the right side of your brain which is the subconscious and therefore your pendulum divination will never be accurate. I'm a medical technology major, i.e. a medical assistant in a doctor's office (with a phlebotomy technician/(blood sample drawing) and an EKG technician/(hooking up various machines that take pictures of peoples' hearts) - triple certification from a medical technology vocational school) and first off, I can tell you the subconscious mostly lies in the frontal lobe (prefrontal cortex to be exact), with those messages actually coming in from the central part of the brain and lower cortex. It is generally evenly spread amongst both sides of the brain - there isn't actually a side you don't use and one side doesn't hold the subconscious while the other holds the conscious. (I've been sitting here reading out of my physiology and anatomy textbook on the brain right now about the subconscious). So whoever says that, and there a lot of people out there publishing that on websites, is anatomically wrong. And then of course, there's the answer my metaphysical teacher gave me which is to always go with instinct. If something's working for you, than that's the right way, for you; for someone else, it may be different.

Solitary Faery
17-01-2012, 09:50 PM
"The brain appears to use the very same neural circuits to execute an unconscious act as it does a conscious one. In a study that appeared in the journal Science in May, a team of English and French neuroscientists performed brain imaging on 18 men and women who were playing a computer game for money. The players held a handgrip and were told that the tighter they squeezed when an image of money flashed on the screen, the more of the loot they could keep. As expected, the players squeezed harder when the image of a British pound flashed by than when the image of a penny did — regardless of whether they consciously perceived the pictures, many of which flew by subliminally. But the circuits activated in their brains were similar as well: an area called the ventral pallidum was particularly active whenever the participants responded."

"Scientists have spent years trying to pinpoint the exact neural regions that support conscious awareness, so far in vain. But there’s little doubt it involves the prefrontal cortex, the thin outer layer of brain tissue behind the forehead, and experiments like this one show that it can be one of the last neural areas to know when a decision is made."

Solitary Faery
17-01-2012, 09:53 PM
So I guess according this article from The New York Times called The Subconscious Mind - Who's Minding Who? (Authored by Benedict Carey)... The ventral pallidum, which is located in the center of the brain, sends out its messages to BOTH sides of the brain, particularly the prefrontal cortex.

Adrienne
17-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Interesting, I can understand with your line of study, occupation, why the question came to mind .. regarding which hand to hold your pendulum with. Too much complicated thinking for me, lol !

Sometimes I think one has to let go of the logic and the technical info, when dealing with psychic or divination tools. To me they seem at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Solitary Faery
17-01-2012, 11:19 PM
I agree. I do like to analyze how they work, scientifically, but when actually in session with myself or a friend, I think it's best to just let everything go and work through intuition and spirit.

Adrienne
17-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Interesting combination, analyzing and using the pendulum. At first thought I guessed you were new to using a pendulum, then I read your other thread and you are an experienced pendulum person :D

Solitary Faery
17-01-2012, 11:39 PM
It's been a fascination of mine for a long time, really.

Adrienne
17-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Have you ever used a board with your pendulum, or a chart ?

Solitary Faery
18-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Yeah, actually. I had purchased some charts at one time but now I just use free charts that I've printed off of Google Images. There are really only a few I use so I don't need big books of them. I use a couple different yes/no charts, some percentage charts which are versions of yes/no (they tell you the likelihood, essentially), and a number chart. I don't generally use letter charts because I just don't have the patience/arm strength to sit through the process of one letter at a time - it's very time consuming.

Solitary Faery
18-01-2012, 01:57 AM
Oh yeah, I also have a couple health charts that you can use to help you determine if you're ill, what part of you is ill, how serious it is, and then a medication chart that lets you get counsel on whether certain medications or herbs are good or bad for you and if so (bad), how, etc. etc. I have a chakra chart too that helps you figure out if you've got any chakra/auric imbalances.

Adrienne
18-01-2012, 03:32 AM
thanks for the info on the charts, I can see that the letter chart would be very time consuming. I didn't know about the health or chakra charts. I suppose google for the health charts and the medication one ? I think those would be useful to have. I have to check on those or do you have a specific to recommend ?

Solitary Faery
18-01-2012, 03:48 AM
just go to images on google and type in "pendulum charts" and all kinds of different things will pop up that you can save and print :) Also, about the letter charts... They intimidate me a little to be honest as it seems very similar to the ouija board which I am not comfortable using.

Adrienne
18-01-2012, 03:52 AM
thanks, and yes, I thought of the similarity to the ouija board. That is something I do not use.

innerlight
18-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Nearly every guide/instructions/manuals on using pendulums tell you to hold it with your off hand so that it taps into the side of your brain that you're not consciously using. For me that would be right-handed. However, I cannot get the pendulum (any of the three I own plus other odd necklaces and things I've tried with) to respond to me unless I'm holding it with my right hand. As a side note, I am pedidextrous (I have ambidexterity in my feet and this is a very unusual trait). It literally does not move at all with my left hand, yet with my right hand, it begins to swing quite swiftly rather immediately... What hand do you suspend your pendulum with and do you think it really matters?

~~Solitary Faery~

The thing with using your main hand would be that your conscious mind interferes with the pendulum causing you to not get accurate results with it.

But there will always be exceptions to every rule as there will always be one or two people that will have it work for them.

Adrienne
18-01-2012, 10:22 PM
so then, Inner, you use your non writing hand ?

iScorpio
18-01-2012, 10:26 PM
I use my right hand (dominant hand) I can do it with left too but not aswell as right.

innerlight
20-01-2012, 04:07 AM
so then, Inner, you use your non writing hand ?

Normally when I was using the pendulum I was using my dominant hand... But I found the pendulum to not be accurate. It was roughly 2 out of 5 when using it.

I did try and use my other hand but was still not accurate.

Solitary Faery
20-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Oh wow... That's interesting.

Adrienne
22-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Normally when I was using the pendulum I was using my dominant hand... But I found the pendulum to not be accurate. It was roughly 2 out of 5 when using it.

I did try and use my other hand but was still not accurate.

maybe you just weren't asking the right questions ? :D

I love my Twin Soul
07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi, When I started using a Pendulum I could only use my right hand. Even when it was really spinning as soon as I changed it to my left hand it would just get slower and slower until it stopped. After using it for a year or so doing healing I found that when I did that then it would slowly go for longer each time I used it and after a few years doing that I can these days use both hands but mostly use my stronger right hand. Hope this is of some use to you as it means I feel that the more we use something the better we get at it. It is a bit like when some people start Dowsing, some of them only get a weak signal where others get a very strong one, however after a while they can both get the same reaction.

sunshineofthesoul
03-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I use my left hand when using my pendulum, although I am right handed.

Lynn
06-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Hello

I just recently got one again. While I write with the left hand I do most other tasks with the right hand being the promonant one. If I use a mouse on the computer its on the right.

When I first tried it I used the left hand, but as I have such a bad shoulder on that side I found it hard to hold the arm up for long. I tried the right one but it did on feel right. I think maybe that is how to judge it what 'feels' right.

Lynn

sunshineofthesoul
28-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I am right handed but use my left hand, when I use my pendulum.

Native spirit
28-09-2012, 10:00 PM
:smile: I can use the pendulem with either hand it doesnt matter,it swings fast with either hand,not that i use it much

Namaste