Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 31-03-2012, 02:53 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
But you might want to read it anyway, Mac.

Jim

I've essentially finished reading such books, Jim. I doubt there's anything new left for me to learn about, only different presentations of the same stuff or alternately stuff I have no interest in anyway.

Nowadays my reading is more likely to be ecology, health, communications and science generally....
Old 31-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneblossom
Thanks Mac and Jim. I have joined another forum that you are both on (although it's a bit quiet at the moment!).

I'm a bit of a reader, I like to research and get heaps of info on things that I'm interested in. At the moment I'm finding out about Spiritualism to see if it is a religion that I'd want to become more involved with.

See you both in the forums!

That's a very good approach to things in general.

Spiritualist Principles say that Spiritualism is a religion, a philosophy, and a way of life. I believe that this is all true - I can elaborate if you're interested - but as Mac said, it need not be something that requires you to attend or belong to any church or other association.

If you're in the US, as I am, finding a Spiritualist church is extremely difficult. In the UK, they are quite common. Maybe this is in spite of, maybe it's partly because of, the fact that mainstream Christian church attendance in the US is higher than in the UK.

Some Spiritualists disagree, but I don't think that belief or participation in Spiritualism is contrary to Christianity. The Bible itself is spirit-inspired and contains many positive references to spirit contact.

Jim
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Loneblossom

"Spiritualist Principles say that Spiritualism is a religion, a philosophy, and a way of life. I believe that this is all true - I can elaborate if you're interested - but as Mac said, it need not be something that requires you to attend or belong to any church or other association."

I think that it is interesting that you can be a Spiritualist without attending a church or being a member of an organisation. Could a person learn 'how' to be a Spiritualist through book learning only (or the internet, as so much is now available online)?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Experiencer

Not really that odd, Lone Blossom. One could be a Christian without belonging to a church. Both are essentially systems of belief, and (we would hope) conforming your life behavior in line with those beliefs.

As the Bible admonishes us, "do not neglect the assemblying of yourselves together". Ideally, Spiritualists SHOULD attend a Spiritualist church or association regularly (as should Christians a Christian one).

If you believe that it is possible for those on earth to communicate with those in spirit, in some systematic matter, I would say that you BELIEVE in Spiritualism.

If you attemot to do so yourself, either on your own or through another medium, I would say that you ARE a Spiritualist.

Jim
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Loneblossom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Behind
Not really that odd, Lone Blossom. One could be a Christian without belonging to a church. Both are essentially systems of belief, and (we would hope) conforming your life behavior in line with those beliefs.

As the Bible admonishes us, "do not neglect the assemblying of yourselves together". Ideally, Spiritualists SHOULD attend a Spiritualist church or association regularly (as should Christians a Christian one).

If you believe that it is possible for those on earth to communicate with those in spirit, in some systematic matter, I would say that you BELIEVE in Spiritualism.

If you attemot to do so yourself, either on your own or through another medium, I would say that you ARE a Spiritualist.

Jim

My understanding of being a Christian is that you'd need to be baptised into the Christian faith. But I get your analogy about not needing to attend a church/association.

I take it that actively trying to live your life according to the 7 principles would mean you a Spiritualist too? Please correct me if I'm way off with this.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
mac

Quote:
"Spiritualist Principles say that Spiritualism is a religion, a philosophy, and a way of life. I believe that this is all true - I can elaborate if you're interested - but as Mac said, it need not be something that requires you to attend or belong to any church or other association."

I think that it is interesting that you can be a Spiritualist without attending a church or being a member of an organisation. Could a person learn 'how' to be a Spiritualist through book learning only (or the internet, as so much is now available online)?

You don't so much learn to be a Spiritualist as become one because of what you learn....

How you learn it will vary but study is certainly a big help. A little relevant experience helps to cement the information into a coherent picture.

Some have experience with little understanding of the fundamental. Others will have understanding without much, or any, experience. each to their own.....
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 PM
mac

Quote:
My understanding of being a Christian is that you'd need to be baptised into the Christian faith. But I get your analogy about not needing to attend a church/association.

I take it that actively trying to live your life according to the 7 principles would mean you a Spiritualist too? Please correct me if I'm way off with this.

I think my other recent posting covers this.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM
mac

My definition of a Spiritualist is very easy.

It's someone who comes to learn and accept that life goes on beyond corporeal death and that sometimes those termed 'dead' return through mediumship to contact those who they love....

Beyond that there's a whole bunch more that Spiritualism itself can offer but you don't need to tread that path just to call yourself a Spiritualist.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM
Loneblossom

Thanks for the clarification Mac.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 PM
mac

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Mac.

always my pleasure.....