Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 22-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucyan28
Hello dear Wanchain

It's ok to have doubts, they help us to realize where we are and where we want to go.

Everything is just as it should be !

So basically you are doing right now what you are suppose to do right now.

Don't worry about if you are suppose to do something.

Just do the things that you like right now.

I think that is one of the general purposes of existence: Enjoy everyday !

Thanks Lucyan. I do have quite a bit of self-doubt.
Old 22-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Cheesus Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanchain
Hi Cheesus Toast,

May I ask for an elaboration of spirituality? Or what is your definition of spirituality?

I think I kind of get what you mean, but not entirely. My own understanding of spirituality is very basic, that spirituality is a part of nature that is intangible, invisible, etc. I am guessing the practicality you're referring to is that spirituality is simply part of ordinary lives that some of us may not be cognizant of. Is that right?

W.

Of course you may! I am in agreement with the standard definition but I believe you are referring to my perspective in how it relates to reality.

You may or may not have heard of philosophical idealism and non-dualism. Idealism is more the western interpretation (from what I have interpreted) of the Yogic perspective of non-dualism (advaita). It is specifically connected to Ramana Maharshi, an Indian Guru but I think it may be an actual part of Yogic philosophy itself (someone may correct me on that).

In essence, it is basically: all of existence is a spiritual (or mental/ conscious) experience.

I oppose the idea of dualism which is the perspective that there is a physical world and a spiritual world. Without needing to say, I am also in opposition to materialism, however, I believe that everyone on this forum would be opposed to that!

Yes, I am implying that a state of peace is attainable by anyone practically. I believe this is through understanding the principle of ego and how that relates to existence as a whole. Some of the philosophy is strange to some people but I think Eckhart Tolle has a tendency to introduce these ideas in a practical way (not that I am suggesting that everyone agrees with his approach).

I hope that makes it clearer and I hope it answers your actual question (I'm not sure if I do clarity too well or not )
Old 22-05-2015, 08:02 PM
Master
" How can you be sure of your soul purpose or life purpose?"

Outright I'd say by creating surety with the same surety with which the idea of having a soul purpose or life purpose was made sure.

I'm not trying to undermine the idea that there isn't or is such purpose but discuss the element of believing in something as a useful tool for which to create whatever it is is required to be believed in.

So that said I'd also like to add there is room for everything, which I'm not necessarily sure of, but the way it looks it does seem indeed to be the case so in that regard by all means see life as purposeful in a way that elevates ones skills to help the world and basically apply the same motivational settlement to make more robust ones application to it.

Backwards engineering is a funny thing but entirely useful to take something apart, that already works, to see how it works to either rebuild it knowing more about how it might breakdown and be repaired, prepared, or devise ways to improve and make something more efficient... also called reverse engineering.

This question reminds me a little of this in the sense that it somewhat raises the question of the efficiency of the soul purpose by asking how can it be seen as efficient almost as if there is a niggling sensation that it might not be. Then, of course, this then is raising the question of intuition which is to rebuild the question, possibly, to read " I'm not altogether sure that there is such a thing as a soul purpose because it doesn't feel as real as it might need to be for me to apply surety I can trust?"

In that regard then what is usually called the leap of faith is required which in essence teaches us that the unsure becomes sure when we are willing to make it sure simply by applying ourselves to it and be willing to make it so... even if in time it falls apart at some edge we weren't able to see when we decided to leap, but in the interim we have been able to see the constant of believing in something which then leads us to seeing what is more valid within constructions and what isn't.

So we can't be sure until we are.
Old 23-05-2015, 12:03 AM
It's funny Abraham-Hicks said...If you parents said, No we
don't want you to follow your dream....
We would say...Move out!

That is how imp it is to follow our bliss as Joseph Campbell said...and Abraham said was the most
important thing they have heard said by anybody!

That says a lot!

Abraham also said...You people think there is no gain
without pain....on what planet?
You have to be familiar with Abraham's humor.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-05-2015, 08:07 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesus Toast
I don't want to sound like I am agreeing with you all the time but we do seem to have similar ideals (even in the other thread about smoking I agree with the majority of what you say). I think it is great to have a holistic approach to all things. I have a non-duality perspective of existence - idealism (philosophical) basically. I am someone who likes Yoga but I do find it a little rigid in some respects. I like to think I am reasonably open to new things and I am not locked within the Yogic way of thinking.
Actually it's surprising to find someone who agrees with me, quite refreshing. I quite like duality though, it's fun and makes Life interesting but for me it's the energies behind it. What I tend to find is that people go for the either/or but I like both, it's nice to have another spot to put your feet. The Universe doesn't seem to mind so why should I not do the same? This and that, energy flows and consciousness is powered and you get three for the price of one, Happy shopper time. Yoga though, no thanks. These old rickety bones couldn't handle it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by essvass
I think making your life meaningful to you, if it does not happen spontaneously, is one of the hardest things in the world – for someone not facing starvation, violence, etc.

Often the questions we ask are pretty telling and often it's worth doing a little digging as to why we asked the question in the first place. What are you really asking? Are you looking for meaning in your life or life in general? The answer to both is 42. If you think there's something missing in your life it's not your life that it's missing from but your thinking. I'm guessing that you have kids/grandkids? You created Life that created Life, how much more meaningful do you want? But don't worry, be happy because if you screwed up you have all of eternity to fix it, you can always come back again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by essvass
"If I am not here to be what I am meant to be, I would be wasting my time" -- No, you would be doing the best you can until you know better. It is not wasting life it is living your life. All the best in your search.

Your answer's in there
Old 23-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Master

Quote:
Could someone share their insight and experience on this topic?

How do you find out about your purpose in this lifetime? How can you be sure that that is what you are here for in this lifetime? Is it an unmistakably clear feeling or thought that you are meant to be here to do such and such? If you are not doing what you're here to do, does it feel ... like a very rough ride or how does it feel?

W.

If you are in the natural state of being, whatever purpose is there in life will reveal itself to you intuitively. A sense of bliss and joy is also a distinct trait of the natural state.

If you are not in the natural state, due to the influence of ego, it can be a rough and hard ride. The unnatural state is intrinsically unhealthy, and brings with it misery and unhappiness, even in the midst of plenty.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon
Old 23-05-2015, 12:10 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Could someone share their insight and experience on this topic?

How do you find out about your purpose in this lifetime? How can you be sure that that is what you are here for in this lifetime? Is it an unmistakably clear feeling or thought that you are meant to be here to do such and such? If you are not doing what you're here to do, does it feel ... like a very rough ride or how does it feel?

W.

My experience is that life is the stuff that happens while you're making other plans. If you try to do more good than harm you'll do ok.
Old 23-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Cheesus Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Actually it's surprising to find someone who agrees with me, quite refreshing. I quite like duality though, it's fun and makes Life interesting but for me it's the energies behind it.

I am fairly certain we are talking of something completely different. I believe you are referring to yin and yang. Non-dualism is the philosophical concept that all of existence is a conscious experience and is not really related. It is the philosophical concept that material things cannot exist independent of consciousness/ mind. It is often considered a point of logic in opposition to materialism.

Rene Descartes came up with this strange concept of "spirit world and material world" called "dualism" which is nonsensical. Consciousness and mind are the very things that give material existence any form. Materialists try to reduce everything to material substance and reject all spirituality which is even more ridiculous. I believe that this "dualism" that is being referred to is usually associated with fundamentalist religious beliefs (Islam/ Christianity).

Quote:
Yoga though, no thanks. These old rickety bones couldn't handle it.

I am only referring to Yoga meditation. The bones do not matter. Kind of more in the Eckhart Tolle arena.
Old 25-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesus Toast
I am fairly certain we are talking of something completely different. I believe you are referring to yin and yang. Non-dualism is the philosophical concept that all of existence is a conscious experience and is not really related. It is the philosophical concept that material things cannot exist independent of consciousness/ mind. It is often considered a point of logic in opposition to materialism.

Rene Descartes came up with this strange concept of "spirit world and material world" called "dualism" which is nonsensical. Consciousness and mind are the very things that give material existence any form. Materialists try to reduce everything to material substance and reject all spirituality which is even more ridiculous. I believe that this "dualism" that is being referred to is usually associated with fundamentalist religious beliefs (Islam/ Christianity).
I'm not getting into this too heavily because it's only going to make my brain hurt It would be too easy to choose one camp or the other then have them slug it out in the ring but at the end of the day it comes down to little more than an academic exercise. The reason I find it difficult to follow these trains of thought is because (I would assume) the people that came up with the concepts are column thinkers. they set their patterns early on and accept and reject what doesn't fit. I'm a lateral thinker and often don't set patterns at all and seldom reject. If I shift my perspective slightly I can see where dualism and non-dualism are the same thing. As for the materialists rejected Spirituality, well that would depend on the given definitions of what Spirituality is.

I am only referring to Yoga meditation. The bones do not matter. Kind of more in the Eckhart Tolle arena.[/quote]
My brain isn't wired for meditation so does that exclude me from Spirituality?
Old 25-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Cheesus Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
I'm not getting into this too heavily because it's only going to make my brain hurt It would be too easy to choose one camp or the other then have them slug it out in the ring but at the end of the day it comes down to little more than an academic exercise. The reason I find it difficult to follow these trains of thought is because (I would assume) the people that came up with the concepts are column thinkers. they set their patterns early on and accept and reject what doesn't fit. I'm a lateral thinker and often don't set patterns at all and seldom reject. If I shift my perspective slightly I can see where dualism and non-dualism are the same thing. As for the materialists rejected Spirituality, well that would depend on the given definitions of what Spirituality is.

"Column thinkers" sounds interesting. I do not think I have heard that expression before. I am a lateral thinker as well as far as I know - I have definitely heard that term before .

Non-dualism/ advaita is more like a realisation than something defined through thinking. It is, what would be referred to as, "awakened". In other words the recognition of the spiritual nature of reality. I think idealism is just the western philosophy version of the concept (but that is an assumption - I would not put money on it). Dualism seems like some kind of compromise that Rene Descartes came up with in order to keep the church separate from science, not really sure.

Quote:
My brain isn't wired for meditation so does that exclude me from Spirituality?

Of course it would not exclude you; spirituality is a very broad umbrella term. I do not think people really fully agree on what it means, to be honest. It seems to just simply mean any study related to spirit, i.e. anything that isn't materialism.

Meditation isn't for everyone. I doubt any brain is wired for meditation. It is more to do with consciousness and discipline of the mind.