Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 27-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Toolite

People of color

Ive been searching on the internet for known mediums but are of African American decent but I couldnt find one. Why is that?
Glory To God
Old 27-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Serenity Bear

There has been one but for the life of me I can't remember what their name was. Thinking on the 28 years in this movement I have never seen a medium of that decent, nor even a psychic reader.

The Spiritualist movement has been predominantly white as it started in New York State. In my experience at local churches I've never seen anyone there of African American culture except when as part of a wedding party. Even on the 11 times at the Arthur Findlay College I have yet to see anyone there, everyone is white even those from Europe, America etc.
Old 27-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Master
There are loads of mediums from all different descents. We have several readers on this site who are African-American, for example. I think the main thing is that... mediumship has nothing whatsoever to do with race or colour or lack thereof so ummm why advertise it, y'know? LGBT mediums don't advertise that either, they'd advertise the mediumship. Just my thoughts.

Old 27-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Toolite

I understand. I look at my gifts and from an analytical standpoint I wonder would someone the same race as me relate and see like me? I know a gift has nothing to do with color I still wonder and want to compare.
Glory To God
Old 27-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Master
The only difference would be someones culture, noting to do with their color or race, in spirit there is no color, race, male or female, there is just pure Essence, or spirit if you want to use that word.
Old 27-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Henri77

Kryon addressed this disparity of the lack of blacks in new age movement.

In that those with a spiritual inclination are most often already firmly supported by mainstream religion. From early childhood.

I've seen very very few black participants at any spiritual workshops.
(All conducted by whites)

Mainstream religion likely doesn't approve of some new age practices, though charismatic channeling-witnessing seems prevalent in services.

Can't say about mediums, as I've limited exposure to working mediums.

But i suspect it's more common than I know... in the south perhaps.
Old 27-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well I knew a lady of African descent who was a very gifted Medium, and a very spiritual lady who was also a healer. She has passed away now, 5 years ago as she was in her late 80's God bless her Soul, a lovely lady.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi
Well I knew a lady of African descent who was a very gifted Medium, and a very spiritual lady who was also a healer. She has passed away now, 5 years ago as she was in her late 80's God bless her Soul, a lovely lady.

It's an interesting topic-question.... I suspect she was very strong willed, and refused to be intimidated by religious bias. I also would be curious about who decided to pursue a public role as a medium-psychic

I really appreciated, and was delighted... the Oracle in the Matrix was represented as a black woman.... one of my favorite characters.

Not since Yoda has a non white been represented as a principle spiritual authority in huge mainstream film.

CERTAINLY never before, a woman.
unless they were angels ...or yes the Beni Gesserit in Dune.... heroic female mystics , though all white.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Master
Sorry, you all, but I am sort of offended by the question. The sense of spirituality in the Southern U.S.-- from past slaves and from those rooted in other religious cultures and in Christianity-- in Louisiana, etc--were there long before the country was a country.

These people were "seers" long before we started organizing clinics and paying for workshops. They weren't interested in labels and usually didn't share their insights except with those close to them.

And as to why someone with "cultural" differences wouldn't be able to read someone of a "different culture"--what hogwash! Spirituality and what is going on with someone has nothing to do with culture.

I wonder, Toolight, what the real basis for your question is.

IsleWalker - Lora

P.S. Not to mention that in my reckoning, I cannot think of one "culture" that was not "of color" who were the first shaman and medicine men and seers. Aboriginal, Tibetan, Native American, etc., etc. You're asking this question--really? The white European were the last to be involved in any of these spiritual pursuits.

P.P.S. And you know, of course, that ALL humankind now on earth have DNA that originated in Africa from the Seven Daughters of Eve. The science is already in on this. So, in pure numbers of years on this planet and the likelihood of development of spiritual gifts, they probably were the first to begin that development.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:40 PM
Master
I can see a nice healthy slice of truth there, Islewalker.......I would suppose that they keep to themselves, by and large, and may I say further they keep 'to their own kin / kind' ?

I felt a bit of discomfort when I read the thread title myself, wondering where it was 'going'.