Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 04-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J
I have to agree with moke here. I don't see any ego in Tolle.

I would also recommend Adyashanti! He was in Zen Buddhism for 15 years, and he's very clear.

Eckhart has a very accurate view on the ego, and what it is. However, the very best I have read about this subject is this (if you can accept the source of this information):

http://www.askrealjesus.com/askrealjesus/rejectchrist/basicego/leastego/leastego1.html

I have to agree with Perry here.

And also a grand signature!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound
I would make a wild guess and say probably as much as you care about them lol

My point exactly. The spiritual life is not about judging whether other people are sincere and caring or not... but me and where I'm at.

Xan

Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Master
Last night I found myself thinking about the essence of this thread that refers to making money off of spirituality.
I suddenly saw very clearly why i feel about that the way I do.
Assuming that what one has to offer in books or seminars is life saving and life changing, I have this built in response that shudders at charging for the information. Last night I understood that response better.
For one, no one owns such information and secondly the way I see it, it is like someone coming up with a miracle diet that will cure cancer and then going out and getting a patent and then selling the info to dying cancer patients.
That's the way I see it anyways, a good analogy so to speak............just wanted to share that.
Blessings, James
Old 05-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Topology

But the counter point is that most people won't look into something unless they're paying for it and 1000 other people are looking into it and paying for it as well.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topology
But the counter point is that most people won't look into something unless they're paying for it and 1000 other people are looking into it and paying for it as well.

I don't follow what you are saying here. I am currently motivated at learning permaculture and I have read tons of stuff so far and haven't spent a dime, and in fact I'm motivated to continue on that no cost method. alot of it is free because of the nature of the subject...helping the environment.
I'm not saying it is wrong for Tolle to sell books, I'm just saying from how I feel about such things it 'feels' very wrong.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Master
I don't particularly like the aspect of paying a large chunk of cash myself...see I've always believed in the motto Live Simply... I have a friend who got a message once about having a simple, yet profound life...yet he continually, as much as he wants to help people, can be very materialistic, in that likes a nice home, good food and wine, but really, is it that bad? He's a wonderful man, the most kind and caring man I've ever met. Would people take you seriously if you were a pauper? Or would people say you were a nutcase because you had nothing and because you did not charge?

I had a chance to see Deepak Chopra once, and I wanted him to go with me, but he refused because you had to pay to see him. Well, I was okay with that, although I did choke when I saw the price of tickets...we had debated about this. Didn't go, but I wish I was able to. You needn't live like a pauper to be a great teacher. I don't think you should take advantage of people either. I do believe some get out of hand and live a lifestyle that is excessive in material accumulations. For me, I don't believe that is good for anyone. Maybe one day I will live in a nice house, but I still will live simply.

I mentioned before that I read Eckhart Tolles' The Power of Now two years ago and try as I might, I found it difficult reading, but I was going through a bad time and could not clear my mind of pain for anything. I found it on CDs to listen to and have been and this time, I hear, I understand and can relate and make sense of it all.

The author of the Conversations with God books... forget his name..Neil Walsh or whatever. I found a book of his free at a yard sale, brought it home, read it. At first I found it very interesting and I could relate, but as he went on, I felt troubled. I finished reading it, but I sensed that as he went along with his book, he was writing more from himself, his own mind, imagination, and introducing his own thoughts and labeling them as God's. Is that accurate or not...I don't know, but for me it was, and like that saying going, 'separate the wheat from the chaff' that's what I have to do in everything that I read.

I do believe some let ego get in the way and begin to see themselves as some form of god or hero. Even preachers/pastors/ministers/rabbi' can get on an ego trip/power trip...Anyone in a position where people look up to them can let their ego's soar, and unfortunately, when that happens, they lose what they originally possessed....along with themselves.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Master
Cancer patients Mom: Sir, may I have your miracle diet to cure my little boys cancer.

Inventor of life saving diet: For $85.00 you could.

Spiritual seeker: Sir, I'm at the end of my rope. I need help and I hear you can help

Spiritual author: Come to my seminar. It only cost $800.00

I just can't see me answering these people in need this way.........can any of you?
In my mind, in essence this is what is being done. Consciously or not.
James
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Master
James last November i had an operation which cost $60,000 .... I was fortunate that it went well and saved me from needing to use a wheelchair ... i bought my surgeon a gift ... he blushed and told me that in his 20 yrs of practice that was a first ... i watched him drive out of the hospital grounds in his $100,00 + car ... I don't begrudge him in the slightest ... bless him and his ability to commit himself to years of study and practice to renew quality of life for others ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
Last night I found myself thinking about the essence of this thread that refers to making money off of spirituality.
I suddenly saw very clearly why i feel about that the way I do.
Assuming that what one has to offer in books or seminars is life saving and life changing, I have this built in response that shudders at charging for the information. Last night I understood that response better.
For one, no one owns such information and secondly the way I see it, it is like someone coming up with a miracle diet that will cure cancer and then going out and getting a patent and then selling the info to dying cancer patients.
That's the way I see it anyways, a good analogy so to speak............just wanted to share that.
Blessings, James
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound
James last November i had an operation which cost $60,000 .... I was fortunate that it went well and saved me from needing to use a wheelchair ... i bought my surgeon a gift ... he blushed and told me that in his 20 yrs of practice that was a first ... i watched him drive out of the hospital grounds in his $100,00 + car ... I don't begrudge him in the slightest ... bless him and his ability to commit himself to years of study and practice to renew quality of life for others ...

That's not the same thing Sound in regards to what I am saying. Is it?
We bought our daughters oncologist gifts as well. They work within a system that works that way. they can't give you a free operation in that system.
There is no choice to do things any different then they do. A book writer has choices.
Did you ever see the movie Patch Adams?
I see myself being a physician that way or at the very least opening up my own business and giving away my services as much as feasibly possible.
Even a vet will turn you away now if you show up at midnight with a sick animal unless you have $300.00 up front.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Topology

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
I don't follow what you are saying here. I am currently motivated at learning permaculture and I have read tons of stuff so far and haven't spent a dime, and in fact I'm motivated to continue on that no cost method. alot of it is free because of the nature of the subject...helping the environment.
I'm not saying it is wrong for Tolle to sell books, I'm just saying from how I feel about such things it 'feels' very wrong.

Yes, well, the culture and attitude around permaculture is a lot more enlightened than the culture and attitude around spirituality.