Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Sangress

Curious Question

Just wondering, does anyone know anything about Dissociative Disorders here (without resorting to Google)?

If so, how did you come across such information?

Also, as a side-note, do you believe any dissociative disorders would positively or negatively affect a persons spirituality (whether it be spiritual awareness or just interest in things of a spiritual nature?)

I'm just asking because I'm interested to see what people in general know of it all.

(I'm also doing a little project for school, so some answers here might help me out a little...not that I'd use any answers word for word....etc. I'm just fishing for opinions.)
Old 23-03-2011, 05:07 PM
DebbyM

What is Dissociative Disorder (since I can't resort to Google)?
Old 23-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
Just wondering, does anyone know anything about Dissociative Disorders here (without resorting to Google)?

If so, how did you come across such information?

Also, as a side-note, do you believe any dissociative disorders would positively or negatively affect a persons spirituality (whether it be spiritual awareness or just interest in things of a spiritual nature?)

I'm just asking because I'm interested to see what people in general know of it all.

(I'm also doing a little project for school, so some answers here might help me out a little...not that I'd use any answers word for word....etc. I'm just fishing for opinions.)

I recall reading about it and/or discussing it with people I knew a long time ago and also listening to either radio or tv shows regarding the topic. As a young person, I gravitated towards (among other things) books and magazine articles about psychology and psychiatry in general. One of the very first in-depth books about psychology/psychiatry in general was one I can see the cover of it vividly to this day: Women and Madness, by Phyllis Chessler. Through the years I've read so many books about women, abuse, the legal system, true horror stories abound. Oftentimes the abuse and trauma causes dissociative disorder and related problems in an effort to avoid reliving the horrors causing all degrees of the 'disease'. It's kind of an identity / psychological problem.

To me, such a 'disorder' or problem, since it causes big trouble with one's thinking, it may lead people to be unable to comprehend so many things, including what they believe and how they believe in a spiritual sense and in any and all other judgment calls they may make about X topic.

Old 23-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Uhmar

I beleive dissociative disorder is the ability to mentally remove yourself from a situation , place or time, Your physical body is there but you mentally have removed yourself. Usually done by people who are sexual abused or abused in torture type things. One disassociates themselves to remove themselves from the emotional trauma or the pain of it .

I believe and I am not positive it is one form of split personalities. I apparantly astral out under those circumstances. My physical body remains to endure but the rest of my bodies go shopping or bar hopping or anything fun. Usually things my main self would never do. Thank God i spend no real money or use any real gas etc.
I use to have students say they saw me at Walmart or some bar etc and I acted like I did not know them. When in fact I had not been there but a part of me had. other students would tell them your crazy she was right here teaching us.

I think my body and mind learned ot do it when as a very young child I suffered sexual abuse. So very early I learned when I am stressed to the maximum...some part of me opts out to a fun safe place till it is all over.

I have never discussed it with anyone just am aware I dissacossiate when I get very very stressed or upset.
Now I am not mentally ill by any means....well nto to bad anyway lol ol just under duress some apsects of me find less stressflull things to do while the main me suffers the duress.
Old 23-03-2011, 08:57 PM
star-child

Yes I briefly remember looking it up a while back on Google, all I can recall is people can lose touch with what they are doing, themselves or their surroundings.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:03 PM
nightowl

It involves a condition where a person screens certain things out of there consciousnes. Some psychological functions such as identity, memory, control over motor behaviors. To dissociate...usually because of some type of anxiety being present.
Old 23-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator
Dissasociate disorder is a way of protection for some people who have been through years of abuse you take yourself out of the area ,
its one area you look at whilst doing counselling training

Namaste
Old 24-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Sangress

Interesting answers. Got more replies than I thought I would.
Old 26-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Experiencer

If you are still looking for information, I can definitely help you out. I have a degree in Psychology. With regard to the spiritual side of things, yes, it would affect them. Especially if they work with a spirit guide. The guides would want them to remove their ties, their chakras would be out of balance (especially the heart), and depending on what aspect of spirituality, it may get them locked up in a loony bin.