Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Mysteries, Myths & Legends

Old 30-01-2011, 09:14 PM
jondav

big cats

with yet another big cat sighting in west wales ,by a policeman no less,I am just wondering wheather all the hundreds of cat sightings ,now reported,are ,as the authorities tell us ,the result of people letting exotic pets go free,or something a bit more bizarre,for eg where are all the bodies and bones of the dead ones,if they,re solid living creatures some trace of them would be found on a fairly frequent basis,they seem to appear ,cause a stir then just disappear into thin air,I am reminded of the "black dogs " that used to be sighted in many parts of the u.k.. e.g the legendary "black shuck"
Old 30-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Osian

Hmm.... a big cat on the prowl in the south west too, seen by several people suposedly a carcus of a calf was found on the footpath i take to walk to my horses field.... i don't go that way quite so often now!!
Old 30-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Master
One explanation is that when one or few persons start to say this, more persons will ''experience'' it. If you are told that big cats roam the wilds, you will be suspicious and look for clues. So when you see a fat black house cat, your mind will automatically assume it is the very thing you heard about in the newspaper/internet site/supermarket etc.

I know how powerful the mind is. I have experienced pareidolia numerous times.
There may be some escaped big cats around. But the cats need prey.. and foresters should be aware of that me thinks. People would be finding tracks, dead carcasses etc.

It's not impossible some big cats have escaped, but personally I prefer some hard evidence (clear pictures or captured cat).
Old 30-01-2011, 10:23 PM
glenos

They are in my area for deffo sure. Two country type mates saw one on the same occasion, and then the next day also at an angling lake way out in the sticks. Close up at less than 20mtrs. One in daylight the other as evening was drawing in. Carcasses of rabbits found around and about. I'd trust these boys with my life.
Check out the range of these beautiful creatures... mind blowing.

G
Old 31-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Master
Despite what many people think, the UK has large areas which are unpopulated and wild. In the area that I wander around, I see a number of half eaten sheep - these are not your white, wooly bundles but the moorland sheep who live their entire lives out on bleak moors and a few going missing would never be noticed. Many of the sightings have been in the West country which has some rough old country but, also in the north, there is a "wild" corridor running from Derbyshire, through Yorkshire Dales/North Pennines, through Northumberland and across the border up into the Highlands of Scotlands. Plenty of secluded places to hide away and plenty of prey also.
Maybe we should not exclude the possibility of feral dogs either, running in a pack.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Ruby_Summer

There is meant to have been sightings in the New Forest but I have never seen one, I do believe they are lurking around though =)
Old 31-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Time

Well, most of the wild predators were wipped out by humans in the UK ( i belive they were primarily wolves). While it isnt great to have an exotic species running around, the UK and big cats arent the first to be placed in a non native enviroment.

What kind of cats do they think they are? There are actualy very few cases of cats attacking humans. bob cats and lynx are too small to do any harm to most children and adults, not to mention more shy then wolves. Cougars only attack babies, and small animals ( who leaves a baby unattended right??), the only ones that may attack people, are lions and tigers, and even then they might not survive the climate there, and would rather go for easier pray.

the only ones you would have to worry about, is jaguars and leopards. They are more topical species, and more then likley wouldnt survive your winters long term.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Master
@Time. Hunger is a powerful motive tho.
Old 31-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Time

Very true, but theres lots of game left in the UK, especialy in the more wild parts. Even here, its is VERY rare for a hungry wolf, or even cats to attack us.
Old 31-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenos
They are in my area for deffo sure. Two country type mates saw one on the same occasion, and then the next day also at an angling lake way out in the sticks. Close up at less than 20mtrs. One in daylight the other as evening was drawing in. Carcasses of rabbits found around and about. I'd trust these boys with my life.
Check out the range of these beautiful creatures... mind blowing.
G
What species did they saw?
Carcasses of rabbits could be from domestic house cats, dogs, foxes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
In the area that I wander around, I see a number of half eaten sheep - these are not your white, wooly bundles but the moorland sheep who live their entire lives out on bleak moors and a few going missing would never be noticed.
Do you have pictures? I'm interested. It's quite exciting if leopards or other cats would prowl in places we don't expect..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
What kind of cats do they think they are? There are actualy very few cases of cats attacking humans. bob cats and lynx are too small to do any harm to most children and adults, not to mention more shy then wolves. Cougars only attack babies, and small animals ( who leaves a baby unattended right??), the only ones that may attack people, are lions and tigers, and even then they might not survive the climate there, and would rather go for easier pray.
the only ones you would have to worry about, is jaguars and leopards. They are more topical species, and more then likley wouldnt survive your winters long term.
Cougars have attacked adults as well, healthy adults. I think lions/tigers is very unlikely.
A leopard is possible (many subspecies, not all are living in the tropics).