Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-05-2017, 07:03 AM
Suspended
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Ignoring ones thoughts is not the goal either.

If one was to think that was the goal and stop there.

People have to figure out what "ignoring your thoughts" means because it is not so simple. Like lets look at some of your words. You said it is not the goal. The only thing that can have a goal is thought. So see the problem there? It has nothing to do with a goal. Goals can't exist if one is not thinking. Then you say, if one was to think that was the goal, the one who thinks is thought. If you understand a thought, you are thought. You are identified with it. Even the way I said it, ignore your thoughts, has problems. First we have conceptualized "you" as something with thoughts. We don't have them, we give them life or reality by placing our attention on them.

If one was to think that was the goal...and stop there....

The "one" is not there without thought. It ceases to exist. That whole thing is describing thinking and not only that, the self is being conceptualized through thought. How do we know what we are? By thinking! That all goes away. But I don't know of another way to say it. Maybe say question your thoughts and not ignore your thoughts? Nope questioning is a thought too. So what is done? That is a thought. There is nothing to do? That is a thought. All doing or not doing is not only a thought it is conceptualizing a self that is the doer or not doer. If there is a imagined self in your mind, that is doing this thing, is ignoring thought, then you are missing the mark. You have not ignored thought at all. You are looking through a thought or concept. You can't claim to ignore what you are creating. If there is a you in your mind, you are thinking. It you are saying something about something, you are thinking.

Even saying, I am now ignoring my thoughts proves you are not. That whole sentence is a thought. You will never know verbally you are doing it. Doing it is an experience and that's all, nothing else. Really that's what we are, an experience nothing more. In the non-liberated, our experience includes the conceptual me.

I. me.... that is a fantasy created by thought. I am talking about the mental world, the conceptual world we live in. That we experience the world through. In the now moment, there is just what is. Our mind doesn't have to be involved in it at all. We experience it, but we don't add or subtract from it.