Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 07-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Tanith

Wiccaning/Naming ceremony okay for adult?

Merry meet,

I am having a small dilemma in my spirituality- or, it's better to say I'm having a small dilemma because of my spirituality.

I can't say I'm new to Wicca, being raised half-pagan(wiccan) all my life has led me growing up knowing about it and following it much more enthusiastically than I did the baptist faith, which I didn't identify with in the least. I began following it more when I was 14, and my mother and I visited a spiritual shop, and finally a few years ago I realized that it was the path that was chosen for me to follow. So I can't say that I am new to Wicca, but I can't say that I'm not, either. There is still much for me to learn.

My dilemma is this- because I came into this path so late, would it be inappropriate for me to ask and invite my friends (most of whom are also neopagan) to a Wiccaning/naming ceremony for me to celebrate my Craft name (which hit me like a rock in the back of the head a few days ago. Or perhaps a cane. There was a cane nearby when I "heard" my name and I started laughing like a madwoman because it came to me so easily after a long time searching).

Also, if it's not inappropriate to hold a naming ceremony for a 22 year old, would it be inappropriate not to have a High Priestess and Priest there? No matter what path I walk, I have always preferred solitary practice until I met some of my college friends. I would like to have a couple of them conduct the ritual themselves, and help me cast the Circle.

Thank you for your thoughts, and Blessed Be,
~Tanith
Old 07-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Medium_Laura

Not unusual at all :) You can have an HP there to perform and still remain solitary. I was named when I was 32 and after I had a belly blessing for my baby being 8 months along. I chose someone who was a 3rd degree High Priest, but you can do that any way you want to.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Master
Tanith, declare yourself to the Goddess ! You dont need HP or HPS for anything. Stick to the solitary path ! Nothing to stop you inviting friends if you wish tho'.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Tanith

Wow, that is amazing! I am glad to know I am not the only one who was named after coming of age. Thank you very much for that :)

I've been told the ceremony isn't necessary but it would mean a lot to me, especially if my friends assisted. Even if they don't, I wish them to at least be there. I will see if perhaps I can find someone with experience to help conduct, but I do feel that the solitary path is, for the time being, what I am most comfortable with. I will certainly declare myself to the One, I just want it to be perfect and wonderful! My mom was baptized in a river by my grandfather when she was young, surrounded by family and friends, and though she does not follow the baptist path anymore, it was a special moment to her.

One, or perhaps the biggest, of my reasonings for having certain friends there is both "coming out of the broom closet" and so that they know how near and dear to me they are.

Of course, I am always thankful more thoughts and opinions they are always welcome!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 AM
LadyMoondancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith
Wow, that is amazing! I am glad to know I am not the only one who was named after coming of age. Thank you very much for that :)

goodness! I was 49 years old when I self dedicated myself to the Goddess and took on a craft name!

When the name and time is right for you - do it. Have a ceremony if you want! Have a party! -- have FUN!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Tanith

My gosh! That must have been a special time for you :)

Thank you, I shall! A small one, perhaps, but certainly a celebration!