Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Neville

Good info mattie.

Quote:
Interesting discussion on how our spiritual view of ego being demonized is rapidly changing paradigm:
http://www.enlightennext.org/magazin...nce.asp?page=1

I have always been slightly at odds that we would and should seek to suppress this apparently integral part of us.

The trick of course , is to allow ego it's full reign without appearing egoistic. That . I am still working on... It's one of my works in progress, How to healthily express the ego. Which I assume would be taking steps to prevent people from thinking I am a big head (boastful).

This is a tough cookie, as anyone who has gone 10 rounds with their own ego will know. I suspect that each of us are quiet brilliant in our own way but sometimes the ego would have us climb over and above others to get to be the top tier of the cake.

It's like hobson's choice. damned if we do and damned if we don't
Old 04-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Master
Nice post OP!

I think it is human to mistake our significance for being special. I think we come around to seeing how significant our lives and actions are and how equally so it is for everybody.
James
Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
themaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPointField
constantly working to understand and deeply integrate the idea that we are both brilliantly special and completely insignificant in the big scheme of things.
We have always been big, we've never been small..

That's the spiritual message I feel like relaying..
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Master
Originally Posted by ZeroPointField
constantly working to understand and deeply integrate the idea that we are both brilliantly special and completely insignificant in the big scheme of things.

If you think about it, maybe your thoughts that there is a big scheme is why you feel as you do.
Thoughts that say something like “there is a big scheme and I don’t affect it much”

But IF there is no big scheme, and we create our reality…..then in that case, we are very special and very significant.
I don’t mean…look at me…I mean as in regards to how we affect everything and how everything affects us.
What do you think?
James
Old 04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteShaman
Nice post OP!

I think it is human to mistake our significance for being special. I think we come around to seeing how significant our lives and actions are and how equally so it is for everybody.
James

Agreed...we're all important pieces of the whole.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
star-child

Quote:
This part of myself is something I struggle with more than many things in my spiritual development. No matter how much I try to be humble and follow the many teachings that say we are all connected and we are all one and I should not judge others, and so on and so forth, if I am really honest with myself, I'm constantly wanting to be and even thinking I'm better than other people in various ways. As a healer, I want to be "the one", the guy who revolutionizes healing throughout the world, who makes the big discovery, who heals the world, eliminates disease, is praised by everyone for doing such great things, who has all the answers, who sounds wise and wonderful and teaches people amazing insightful things.

On the other side of this, I have made some big mistakes in my life that I often hate myself for, and beat myself up about it. So logically I know that I'm not at all better than anyone and with the tiniest twist of fate or situation I could be in any of the worst situations people end up in and get judged for - homeless, addicted, abusive, a criminal, ostracized for my race or gender or sexual orientation, or any number of things.
Lol, I laugh because I could have written this myself. I often feel like I want to be the most enlightened, knowledgeable or philosophical of most of my immediate peers and so even if they disagree with me right now, I will feel that one day they would look back and remember me being 'right' which contradicts my belief of each of us having our own truths but hey, I guess thats my ego!

I have read lots of things about the ego in the past and my view of it is that it is associated with your subconscious and tries to protect you from pain by telling you that you need to be better or that you are better than everyone else which coincides with the second part of your post. Your ego is probably attached to the past and the events which you view as mistakes.

Don't worry too much about the ego. Trying not to identify yourself with it and just observing it will help you gain power and connect you with who you truly are.

I hope I made sense Star.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Experiencer

zero
I can tell you I have felt the same way (regarding your first post) and have come to some conclusions.
1=ego means "me, mine, I, my" That is, ego is what Nature endowed us with when we were put into the physical world, behind the viel of forgetfulness, (of other places where we exist), in order for us to feel and believe that we are separate things, as humans. It is this need to think we are seperate things that enables us to experience the duality necessary to discover what we are not, in order to discover what we are.
The ego, or earthbound personality as i call it, is a role we have to play. It is not us.
It is necessary for our time here. Now that i think of a way to answer you, i think i should say "ego, whatever was intended from before being born, has become a compilation of that which has been thrust at it". Specifically, think about how many times a parent will tell a child "you can do it" as opposed to "your body can do it". We are not taught as a rule to distinguish between our selves and our bodies. We are taught that we are our bodies from day 1. Our consciousness has been explained by a lot of people as something that is part of a whole or all that is, or whatever. But our bodies are explained as a seperate thing, not part of anything else what so ever. So I think, being misdirected or mistaught from the beginning is the most serious mistake that people do to each other, but it's only because there are no believeable teachers here right now. At least not any that are readily available. All the teachers I've seen or read are firmly rooted in the physical mentality, not spiritual at all when you read past their bull.
And since i'm also a 3d human, this might not be exactly what i intended to convey, but i sure hope it's close.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:14 AM
mattie

Fully Owning Ego/Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi

The concept of Ego is a contrived description of a perfectly natural aspect of Wholeness... we use the word 'ego' to describe the 'we' we wish we weren't, a scapegoat of a concept where we dump our undesirable traits, ... before Freud popularized the concept of 'ego', we were actually more mentally healthy, holistic...

While much of the Freudian view of ego still hang on in general culture, decades ago the psychotherapy profession moved past Freud’s meaning of ego.

One of the necessary steps in meaningful energetic/spiritual development is to take 100% ownership of all of our energies, even the ones we aren’t keen on.

When ego is viewed as something that is beyond our control, generating undesirable thoughts & behavior, this sets up a very disempowering dynamic of our energies for us. While it may be handy to have a ready scapegoat (ego) for the repository of that which we know is undesirable, it is hugely disempowering to imagine that some force (ego) is out of our control & causing us to act in an undesirable manner.

It was a trendy & most unfortunate fad in some New Age circles to promote the idea of ego death. This is a good example of a idea that got woefully off track as it promoted the idea that self/ego wasn't OK.

While the self/ego is expanded to encompass a larger perspective as one expands consciousness & we move past the sole perspective of individuality, the process isn’t about eliminating ego/self & replacing it w/ our multidimensional SELF. As we naturally expand dimensionally we will get to a place where our perspective shifts from primarily individual to that of group consciousness.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:40 AM
ZeroPointField

Wow, this thread certainly started a lot of conversation! That's great!

It's very cool to hear so many people's thoughts and experiences about the ego. I actually got a little overwhelmed thinking about responding with so many extensive responses so quickly, so for now I'm just gonna try to absorb all the info here. Thanks for all the great replies!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Master
Hi ZeroPointField,

just relax and enjoy the ride!!! It all takes time.....Just LOVE, and be LOVE and let that part of you come out more and more (and it will)

zipzip