Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 14-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Medium_Laura

I agree to make up your own mind. I actually gave my children "Teen Witch" though I didn't read it. It is my great hope that my children understand that lying leads to mis-trust, which is something I've stressed a lot in raising them. They can tell me anything and I will keep my cool, but finding out they lied to me, I cannot condone. Both of my children are self proclaimed witches, though one is on the fence and wants to be a Christian Witch (I find that sooo cute!) I let them make their own paths and their own choices.

Scott Cunningham is also a great author when it comes to beginning Wicca.

Enjoy the journey

(Witch for over 25 years)
Old 14-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Master
True again ! Actually I would accept 90% spot on. This is not exactly an objective subject area.
Old 14-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Summerlander

Are there any books about Summerland?
Old 16-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Taurus/Gemini

yup the best part of wicca is you can take what works for you and use it and not use what dont. A little of this and a lot of that. Till you get what fits you perfectly. Follow what feels right and harm none and you will be great. Blessed Be!
Old 16-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Experiencer
I started out with Silver Ravenwolf but then slowl gravitated toward Scott Cunningham. Silver's work is full of good poetry and exercises to start you off down the path but I agree that her attitude toward Christianity and openness with parents is not exactly a good thing. She is also fairly materialistic when it comes to ritual. What I found silly was that she always said you can go and buy things for ritual. I however like to go into my backyard for things needed.

Anyway, use your own judgment. If she rings true then stay with her until you learn what you need from her and move on to another author.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Sungirl

I read one of her books and I felt it was too fluffy.

My opinion is this (and it is just my opinion)... if the author has an "etherial name" bin it... Give me Marion Green any day. The closest I get to is Glennie Kindred.. I rate her books very highly but then her name isn't that odd.. like Rae Beth. "Titania" is just rediculous... It's all about image.. may as well be Mystic Meg!!

If the book is full of spells and lacking in spirituality, walk away. To me paganism (yes I know this thread is about wicca) is about a connection to spirituality first and about spells and rituals last.

Every writer is welcome to their opinion but for me the combinations of a fancy name, shiny cover and lots of spells screams "fluffy teen witch" stuff and is not the basis of a spirituality that will help with self developement and growth.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Master
"if the author has an "etherial name" bin it"
My thought exactly, Tilia ! Also those who claim to be High Priestess of this and that - bin them too !

"yes I know this thread is about wicca"
I have had my grumbles about that . Much broader I think.
Old 18-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium_Laura
I agree to make up your own mind. I actually gave my children "Teen Witch" though I didn't read it. It is my great hope that my children understand that lying leads to mis-trust, which is something I've stressed a lot in raising them. They can tell me anything and I will keep my cool, but finding out they lied to me, I cannot condone. Both of my children are self proclaimed witches, though one is on the fence and wants to be a Christian Witch (I find that sooo cute!) I let them make their own paths and their own choices.

Scott Cunningham is also a great author when it comes to beginning Wicca.

Enjoy the journey

(Witch for over 25 years)

I like that "Christian Witch" perspective.

Once you recognize that Christian religions tend to suppress the teachings of Jesus, you can appreciate the energy behind that particular interest.

If I may, I would like to suggest these two "Anna" books as reading material for this child.
http://www.lightrivermedia.com/

That $30 expenditure will support the appreciation for the teachings of Jesus, which I tend to see as humanity's greatest teacher of quantum physics.

In my view, we all have a lot to learn about a great many things. I see these works as foundational for a true Christian Witch.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 19-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Master
I would just like to point out that Witchcraft is a religion in it's own right. The original religion of the British Isles and pre-christian by a long way. Christian Witch is an oxymoron ! Where people get confused is in the craft aspect. Witchcraft should actually be written Witch Craft i.e. the Craft of the Witch - the working tools if you wish. However, much of the Craft involves invoking deities or nature spirits which brings me back to my original statement. The only time that Witchcraft and Christianity came close was in the Ancient Celtic Church, especially after they had absorbed the Druids. Don't forget that it was the Celtic Church that brought christianity to Britain from their centre of Holy Isle [ Lindisfarne ]. They were forced out of there when the Norse incursions began and finally lost out to the RC church at the Synod of Whitby. They then submerged into obscurity. Over a thousand years later, a new connection was made when Gerald Gardner founded Wicca. Gardner was an ordained priest of the Celtic Church, as was his good friend Ross Nichol who revitalised the largest order of British Druidry. The Wheel turns and old Cycles are reborn. It was recently announced that the Celtic Church was re-establishing itself on Holy Isle.
Old 19-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Lostgirl

Im so glad you brought this up Norseman! I was a bit baffled when a Christian Witch was mentioned.