Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-10-2022, 02:11 PM
Master
Jesus Emptied Himself.

" Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself " etc..Philippians 2:5-8.

Did Jesus empty Himself by adding a human nature , a subtraction by addition rather than losing His Divine nature temporarily ?. Jesus Christ is both fully Divine and fully human, yet one person, imo.....
Old 23-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Phil 2

Since I had never heard this phrase 'emptied himself'...I tried to find your translation or version, finally found it!
I wanted to give more depth to the phrase.
KJV:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
NIV:
6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

... Ah-ha
RSV:
6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
7 but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
8 And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

ESV.
7but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-10-2022, 04:46 PM
Master
So many variations but imo they are basically the same. What puzzled me is the New World Translation (JW's)......

6 " although he was existing in God’s form, did not even consider the idea of trying to be equal to God. 7 No, but he emptied himself and took a slave’s form and became human."
Jesus was most certainly not a slave and I have never ever heard this word used before..... any ideas please anyone

https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/...philippians/2/
Old 23-10-2022, 05:43 PM
Have you seen this site? (careful many ads)
https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-m...20Phil%202%3A7

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-10-2022, 06:05 PM
Molearner

Jesus came as a servant…..remember who washed whose feet…..
Old 23-10-2022, 09:15 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Jesus was most certainly not a slave and I have never ever heard this word used before..... any ideas please anyone

i think jesus hinted in the gospels that path didn't lie through seeking glory, but instead one finds it when one learns to become a servant.

And there is this whole thing said about there would come a time when we would long to see one of the days of jesus but it would be denied... clearly if he has gone to heaven and is ruling, like everyone supposes, such a thing would be easy to see. Certainly though I don't see it...

but there was also a hint that he would 'know' some people but not 'know' others. Now I wonder, how in heck was he supposed to 'meet' common people if he is really in a palace in heaven, ruling?

I could say more but enough is enough I guess...
Old 24-10-2022, 06:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
i think jesus hinted in the gospels that path didn't lie through seeking glory, but instead one finds it when one learns to become a servant.

A servant and a slave are very different though, one has a choice the other is forced.
Old 24-10-2022, 06:29 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Have you seen this site? (careful many ads)
https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-m...20Phil%202%3A7

Interesting, thanks
Old 24-10-2022, 06:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Jesus came as a servant…..remember who washed whose feet…..

A Leader is a Servant to all
Old 24-10-2022, 07:00 AM
Master
Kenosis

Some may find this link interesting...

https://www.gotquestions.org/kenosis.html