Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 28-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
It's usually the case that when you're ready for a teacher one will appear.

That's been my experience as well.

However, one should not have preconceived notions of how a spiritual teacher should look or act. My first teacher appeared in the form of a "homeless" black man in New York City and that extremely unusual connection lasted for 9 years. Another teacher appeared as an ordinary sannyasi whom I discovered afterwards was one of the revered sages of India. That connection lasted over 25 years. Don't judge by appearances or preconceived notions.

There have been other teachers of shorter duration who appeared mysteriously in my life for a specific purpose and disappeared just as mysteriously. One must be very aware to recognize them. In the case of the "homeless" black man, I didn't recognize him as a sage at all for almost two years until he unquestionably revealed himself.
Old 28-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Master
Check out the vid in my sig...I suppose this could be the teacher appearing, or not.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 28-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Deactivated Account

On topic of whether a teacher/Guru is helpful, I've always found Jyotir's posts to be excellent.

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...100080&page=12

IOW a genuine Spiritual teacher is one who has realized the highest themself. Just like if you wanted to climb to the peak of a mountain, wouldn't you ask those that have been there, or those who are still at the base talking about the hill they saw?

This is not a denigration of other seekers, it is just that a (genuine) teacher can be very very helpful to one's journey. Of course the fortune is in finding these helpers.

One can approach with care, as this is very natural and a real teacher will be pointing you back in to yourself, but, a real teacher is also a real boon in my experience. As with all things, all elements need to move and that includes yourself.

My 2c.

Truth/
Compassion
/
Wisdom
Old 28-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Deactivated Account
T.D. do you like to read in the Self-Help / Spirituality genre?? Sometimes finding just the right book (for you) can have a profound impact on your life...

Also, the spiritualist camp you're referring to... It wouldn't happen to be Temple Of The Universe, would it?
Old 28-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Suspended
The best Spiritual Teacher I can refer you to, you can not find on line, or at a spiritual center. Here is the only Spiritual Teacher I can refer you to: That Spiritual Teacher Is You!
Old 28-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Master
The teacher within who is the best teacher by far, needs to be awakened by somebody who has it awakened in them. Otherwise the teacher within is limited ego.

Even after awakening limited ego can lead us astray - hence the ongoing need for more enlightened teachers.

Life is a great teacher for those who don't care for gurus or rimpoches or those who visit in dreams. When you have gotten kicked around enough by life and want something better, then you will shop around for a genuine spiritual guide. That's the story of the prodigal son btw.
Old 28-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Master
Years and years ago a chap turned up where I was and I told him in passing how I was visiting an Old Maori versed in herbs and stuff. Some old ladies swinging crystals had found me and then sent me to this chap and I'd talked a little in passing to this younger chap who had himself turned up out of the blue.

I wasn't about to deny this fellow his desire, which was to come with me to see the Tohunga but every arrangement we made fell through as some other thing to be done right away fell in front of this seeking man... but he kinda got the first lesson, as it were, when he turned up and said this ain't gonna work is it? Doesn't seem to be I said.

The almost same principles apply when I told my nephew how to approach farmers who have old stuff we might want stashed on their properties after he had found old farmers and gone straight to the most obviously not needing too much work stuff and then been told in no uncertain terms to leave. So I told him you must genuinely find the most rotten and wasted away stuff and love it because this is what the farmer has loved the longest and most dearly yet hasn't found the time to give to it... this is solidarity for the underlying motivations and not, how he did it, a fondness for the easiest prize.
Old 28-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Interesting
The almost same principles apply when I told my nephew how to approach farmers who have old stuff we might want stashed on their properties after he had found old farmers and gone straight to the most obviously not needing too much work stuff and then been told in no uncertain terms to leave. So I told him you must genuinely find the most rotten and wasted away stuff and love it because this is what the farmer has loved the longest and most dearly yet hasn't found the time to give to it... this is solidarity for the underlying motivations and not, how he did it, a fondness for the easiest prize.

Gosh, Mr Interesting, can you be my mentor? That's so interesting..you really picked the right name haha

Thanks for the perspective.

When you talk of underlying motivations, you refer to love? And doing the work? Not just looking for the easy way out? Or?

Truth/
Compassion
/
Wisdom
Old 28-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Pathfinder
Sincere Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Wow. I wasn't expecting so much support! Thank you to all of you who shared advice and your general opinions. That really means a lot to me.

I will take all of your suggestions into consideration.

Again, thank you!!!
Old 28-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatsy
Gosh, Mr Interesting, can you be my mentor? That's so interesting..you really picked the right name haha

Thanks for the perspective.

When you talk of underlying motivations, you refer to love? And doing the work? Not just looking for the easy way out? Or?
Pretty much, but they're ain't no rule book.

And old friend once said I's taken the easy road which was also the hardest and that he'd taken the hard road which was actually the easiest.. he explained that as him taken the well travelled road of work hard and taking the rewards which he kinda found shallow but that I being lazy and doing only what interested me, usually back then at a snails pace, had me very open to peoples opinions as me slacking off but that remaining at my guns despite this was the actual hard work. Interestingly I find those around me my age may have it easier in terms of actual work somehow but the grind of it get's them down and act's much harder on them whereas I'm tending towards harder work and longer hours but it's all quite simple and breezy... But, rules, nah, though maybe making you're own is what counts... after lot's of watching others.