Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 28-04-2016, 02:56 AM
Pathfinder
In search of Spiritual Teacher, no luck.

I'm interested in finding a spiritual teacher of sorts. Someone who is knowledgeable and can help me to my potential. The problem.. where to find this person and how to know if they are qualified or if they are even a good match for me? I live close to a spiritualist camp and on occasion I've travelled that way though most times, I left with more questions than answers. I'm feeling a bit discouraged..
Old 28-04-2016, 03:02 AM
Master
Hi Tiny Dancer,
Mine took many years to show up in my life but I kept on searching and praying. Don't give up.
Old 28-04-2016, 03:21 AM
Suspended

everyone is full of their own poop.. literally and metaphorically.

teach yourself.

google, read, analyze, read more, analyze, try to make sense of it all.. etc keep going.

i really dont think there any real spiritual gurus, but then again i dont even know what others mean when they say "spiritual". So yea once you define spirit i guess you can begin from there. This is a spiritual forum yet it hosts religions which views clash with each other... good luck getting anything useful out of it.

i personaly think spirituality is "trying to hard" you dont need any supernatural mystic knowledge or abilities to know how to be a good person, and thats all that really matters.

Get closer to god??

practice meditation?

recite prayers??

learn some ancient budhist technique to find nirvana?

can you turn water into wine now, cause if you can ill hire you as a bartender and we can open a bar..
Old 28-04-2016, 03:33 AM
Deactivated Account

It's a pity when people who have not seen the world tell you how small it really is. A genuine teacher can be very beneficial but I agree that finding the gems can be a few more steps than desired.

Yes, there are genuine teachers. Finding one is both a matter of luck and action on your own part. Are you looking at any of the established religions/traditions, OP, or do your interests lie elsewhere?

Truth/
Compassion
/
Wisdom
Old 28-04-2016, 03:51 AM
There is a story I like...let's see, I believe it was Vivekananda searching for a teacher.
He went to this one and that one in India in the 1800's.
At which, at each guru and ashram he asked the same thing...
"Have you seen God and can you show me God." (Period.)

THIS is the basic question...clear and precise.

Many teachers with hermitages seeing that V. came from a wealthy family
wanted him as a devotee ...but, alas, they had to say , "No."

Finally, he was led to Ramakrishna, who said, "Yes."

Many more stories follow.
Always remember...a teacher, a guru, a therapist can only teach you
as far as they have been themselves ...go to the Highest Teacher...that can teach you the most.

This in my advice...never waste your time, my friend...Tiny Dancer.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 28-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer
how to know if they are qualified or if they are even a good match for me?
When you find your spirit teaching path or community, it resonates, that's how you know, which gives way to natural trust of whoever is teaching. Exactly the same as family trust and feelings of belonging.

Explain what path/teachings you're interested in, that would help people here with recommendations for you.

Also, adamm's advice is spot on in so many ways, it's something many spiritual people I know naturally figured out in their later life, including myself: "know how to be a good person, and thats all that really matters." That in itself is a spiritual path, known as the moral self-development or experiential wisdom path. No beliefs required, you don't need to believe in God, Jesus, Buddha, teachers, gurus or any of it. Just belief in yourself, your ability to live in the world as a good person who knows right from wrong, truth from deceit.
Old 28-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Lorelyen

It's usually the case that when you're ready for a teacher one will appear. In the meantime give this forum a good looking over. There's much to suggest what makes someone spiritual (and not). Sometimes books or videos are suggested - they're often worth following up but with a healthy scepticism. Need hardly be said, don't fall for glitter!

And of course, it depends on why you want to pursue a more spiritual life. Many come here hoping for answers to problems; to feel better; to take more control of their lives; some to find answers to the whys and wherefores of being. These are all things to think about.

But your username suggests a lot. Dance is beautiful, not just healthwise but allowing your sensual expression - your senses usually just being receptors of what's happening in the world without, so important in any spiritual pursuit / path.

Bests...
Old 28-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Seeker

As many have already said, you will intuitively know whether someone is singing your tune. In the same way you will also know when you are finished with them, or when they become destructive to your progression (don't make them an attachment). We all clearly know when a relationship with a partner has moved into a counterproductive period (not that we very often act upon it, on account of fear), it's the same inner intelligence that speaks in all these areas.

ALL THAT SAID...I 100% say that you are your own teacher, your own guru, and you must ultimately do it alone (that doesn't mean you can't do it in good company, of course).

If I can share with you something that significantly helped me a number of years ago, it might help you too?

Many years ago I discovered that taking a daily walk, listening to something gentle/spiritual/relaxing through headphones, whilst at the same time cultivating a steady, purposeful, precise, serene (not for the benefit of appearing holy), walk, where you roll your feet onto the ground, feeling the heel touch, and then rolling through to your toes (you'll be forced into walking slowly and attentively to achieve this), was a wonderful spiritual tool.

Remember to lift your head up, and keep a nice straight spine (you'll be amazed to find, when you do this, that we all walk so crookedly, so hunched, so miserly, and always looking downwards), for you'll be in touch with a little bit of grace with this singular action alone.

So, we have firstly occupied the mind with music, making it difficult for it to interrupt, and have also aligned our body, and changed its habit from the usual chaotic gait it's been used to.

Now, with your head lifted you can walk in relative silence. If you are blessed, some great beauty or revelation may fall upon you. If it does, don't penetrate it and go 'WOW,' just be aware of it. If you loose it, don't re-engage the mind to decipher it, just keep walking, keep walking!

One day you must loose the headphones, maybe even loose the walk.

Perhaps we should keep the walk and just loose the talk!
Old 28-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma-free-life
Many years ago I discovered that taking a daily walk, listening to something gentle/spiritual/relaxing... whilst at the same time cultivating a steady, purposeful, precise, serene...
Practical (dull and unsexy) spirituality, I call that. My path now lol.
Old 28-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Experiencer
I recommend checking out Maha Vajra on Youtube. More specifically his emotional integration videos.