Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Tarot and Oracle Cards

Old 23-08-2014, 07:48 AM
WaitingOne

Tarot Book tips

Does someone here know good books about the Tarot?
I´m looking for books in the more esoteric, Golden Dawn tradition...
Old 23-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Tsuga

Hello WaitingOne,

I don't know anything about the Golden Dawn tradition. Although it does ring a bell - Aleister Crowley and the Thoth Tarot maybe, I dunno!

Anyway, I'm reading a book at the moment called, Tarot Therapy by Steve Hounsome. I've waited a very long time for this book to come along. The author suggests that tarot has had a bad reputation for too long and needs to break away from the old traditions. He is promoting tarot philosophy as a means of therapy rather than a tool used by little old ladies with tea cosy's on their head predicting the future.
I welcome this book, wholeheartedly.

I'm also reading Celtic history.
It occurred to me that maybe I should know something about Celtic spirituality if I am going to be using the Celtic Cross spread.

Now I'll put on my helmet and await incoming :)

t.
Old 24-08-2014, 03:58 AM
Master

One of the best authors on Tarot is Mary K. Greer - any of her books will help you. 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollock is also good.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say looking for books in the Golden Dawn tradition. There's a deck by Chic Cicero and Sandra Tabatha Cicero called Golden Dawn Magical Tarot and there's also a deck by Robert Wang called Golden Dawn Tarot - but they're decks, not books.
Old 24-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingOne
Does someone here know good books about the Tarot?
I´m looking for books in the more esoteric, Golden Dawn tradition...
It's worth remembering the relevance of the tarot to the Golden Dawn tradition. It doesn't mean you have to learn or follow the Golden Dawn magical system but just in case you're curious, Israel Regardie produced a tome about it..."Golden Dawn...An Account..."
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Dawn-...srael+regardie
A heck of a volume but could be a useful reference.

But you'll become involved at some level with the Kabbalah to the extent of a basic understanding and path-working (which is a wonderful route to enlightenment) and Regardie and others have written extensively about this.

Basically as P Foster Case said, the tarot is effectively a book of wisdom disguised as a pack of cards. Although tarot is said to have originated as a card game it took on spiritual importance through various Orders that aligned it with the Kabbalah and Tree of Life.

Card reading is in no way diminished by this but the tarot offers so much more.

Old 24-08-2014, 09:08 AM
WaitingOne

Thank you for your answers everyone!

Thank you Lorelyen, for the tip! Already ordered
I found another author which might be worth a look, Paul H. Barlowe... he has an own website, supertarot and gives a lot of insights into GD tradition.