Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 16-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Master
The Deception of Perspective

Basic science tells us that as light is taken in through the lenses of our eyes this image is flipped. As this is all we ever know we take this function for granted and perceive our otherwise upside down perspective of the world, as truth.

In every aspect of our lives we fit ourselves with a very specific set of lenses. Subconsciously conditioning our own character and rarely stopping to question if what we perceive is, truth or, our self made prescription lenses playing tricks on us.

I leave you with this food for thought. And before you apply this line of thinking to someone else, I ask you to first apply it to yourself.
Old 16-12-2010, 02:26 AM
meta_synthesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents

Basic science tells us that as light is taken in through the lenses of our eyes this image is flipped. As this is all we ever know we take this function for granted and perceive our otherwise upside down perspective of the world, as truth.

In every aspect of our lives we fit ourselves with a very specific set of lenses. Subconsciously conditioning our own character and rarely stopping to question if what we perceive is, truth or, our self made prescription lenses playing tricks on us.

I leave you with this food for thought. And before you apply this line of thinking to someone else, I ask you to first apply it to yourself.

Not to sound like a douche-bag but...

If we re-construct our perspectives to account for the flip by manually flipping it, does that new perspective we thus form not itself need to be flipped, following your line of logic?
Old 16-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Guide
Lol. I know what you mean 002cents. Perspectives are quite relative to the individual and many things factor in which form a "filter" which we look through.
  • Things like what we identify with...
  • Things like expectations also...
  • Other preconceptions and false impressions....
Especially those types of expectations that we hold, ones which we think reality should conform to in order for us to arrive at understanding instead of understanding we shouldn't be trying to conform reality to our own expectations.

Miaow, meow, mejou, meyew...
Old 16-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Master
there's nothing wrong with subjectivity a long as you're not imprisoned by it.

Old 16-12-2010, 03:17 AM
meta synthesis,
Did you really say douche-bag?
I like you.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 16-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002 Cents

Once upon a time science said there were four elements, then we had the periodic table. Now it seems what we thought was solid isn't any more and the whole nature of matter is changing - it might just be energy after all. So many scientists looking for 'The Truth' and it keeps changing. Are there alternate realities or are there dimensions - are they one and the same or are there alternate realities and dimensions? It's been said in other forums that 'the other side' will be as you perceive it. If you come from a religious perspective then you will go to heaven, if you think you've been a bad person then you'll go to hell. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that when we get to the 'other side', our perspectives will change.

Just right now I'm human and living in a world of what I perceive as solid matter. In the Allegory of Plato's Cave I can't see much else, but right here, right now it's what my Conscious needs to experience for whatever reason. What I am aware of it that it's all a mask, that behind that mask are the things that will help me grow Spiritually and help me get a little more understanding of what little of the Universe I can perceive. There are reasons for those filters, it's like concentrating on a specific thought to the exclusion of all else.
Old 16-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by meta_synthesis
Not to sound like a douche-bag but...

If we re-construct our perspectives to account for the flip by manually flipping it, does that new perspective we thus form not itself need to be flipped, following your line of logic?

You could flip it as many ways as you like, when it comes to perspectives involving thought, for one element there exist infinite angles from which you may perceive. More importantly is being aware of the lenses and it's angle.

The image below is called the "Star of David" cut. You can only see the star so visibly when you are looking at the gemstone from the top down. If one only ever saw a view from the side they may dispute the star did not exist and indeed from their perspective it wouldn't. That is not to say that they are wrong just that their perception is limited by their own scope.

(I have to apologize in advance I couldn't find this image smaller)
Old 16-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Master
In the search for more perspectives of the star cut gem I managed to find others that can help to elaborate my point on perspective.

The various perspectives show off the similarities and differences for each cut. Each showing off different aspects of the gem and the cut.

In the diagrams above, the differences in the gems are best illustrated in the two upper shots while those on the bottom better illustrate the similarities.

And while this conversation is not about gemstones I use them as an abstract metaphor to illustrate and elaborate upon the complexity of perception.

Perhaps each gem could represent a political group, a culture, a religion...

Had to include this one out of shear admiration for who ever took it upon themselves to carve it. Plus it goes with the metaphor.

Old 16-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Master
Subconsciously conditioning our own character and rarely stopping to question if what we perceive is, truth or, our self made prescription lenses playing tricks on us. 002cents

I'm sorry but i don't see the connection between how our eyes work and perceiving truth. What do you mean by truth 002cents?
James
Old 16-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Master
It was meant to illustrate how perception can alter truth.

Again, an abstract metaphor for a larger more complex concept. Perception, perspective, point of view...

We are constantly conditioning our minds. Nurturing various aspects of our character unbeknownst to ourselves. In this way we have a tendency to superimpose our perceptions onto the world unaware that those perceptions are subjective as opposed to absolute truth. Here is an example.

Where I work I end up alongside a lot of teenagers. One of which has been there for quite some time and is now considering college choices. Just this past weekend I overheard her talking to another girl who is also looking for a college and she says "You know, I don't know why some people even bother applying to a college. I mean, they may as well face it, if they aren't social they are never going to be successful in life and college is just a waste of time and space for someone else who has a better chance at doing something with themselves." I was like "You realize you don't have to be social to be successful, right?"

Needless to say that conversation went no where even as I went on to elaborate scenarios where non-social people were very successful, using the example of the most recent winner of "America's Next Top Model". Ann, very socially awkward, but still the most stunning to photograph. Which she would go on to argue "she is in an industry that favors strange looking people" and she absolutely hated that she won. http://www.cwtv.com/thecw/gen-gallery-antm15-models/5/1

It is very unlikely, that any time soon, she will arrive at a point where she is ready to challenge this perception in herself. She feels being popular and social, somehow gives her an upper hand.

As not to limit these obscurities to teenagers, even grown folks who are convinced that their perspective on life is the absolute truth will seek out those who will reaffirm them of this belief. I am sure I don't need to elaborate on this statement by listing groups. Undoubtedly we can all think of several.

But to better elaborate on perception, consider truth in regards to the colro spectrum. Those who see perfectly, those who are color deficient, color blind and blind all together.

Now consider this,
Quote:
Humans have trichromatic, or three-dimensional, colour vision because we have three interacting cone types.... It is harder to imagine what colour vision with more dimensions than three might be like, but animals with 4 and 5-dimensional colour vision exist.

My point? Knowledge, truth, fact,... it all comes down to perception.

Fascinating article if you care to read it http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/research/behaviour/vision/4d.html

I use visual analogies because I find them most relatable.

And more so, I find, the reality that we define our world through eyes that both alter and limit our perception, is the most compelling irrefutably evidence that truth is truly subjective. Our minds and thought processes are not so different in this respect.