Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 20-01-2020, 08:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Quoted from

WISDOM OF THE EAST
THE SAYINGS OF LAO TZŬ
TRANSLATED
FROM THE CHINESE, WITH AN INTRODUCTION
BY LIONEL GILES, M.A. (OXON.)
ASSISTANT AT THE BRITISH MUSEUM
E. P. DUTTON AND COMPANY, INC.
NEW YORK
[1905]

Page 19 under the heading:

TAO IN ITS TRANSCENDENTAL ASPECT, AND IN ITS PHYSICAL MANIFESTATION

Yes precisely.
Old 20-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Master
Quote:
There are other expressions such as El.

But as far as I know, there is only one scripture that says this is God Almighty's name (Exodus 6:3).

That name in Hebrew is יְהוָ֔ה

and is pronounced (transliterated) as Y ͤ hôvâh

Virtually all Bibles use the Masoretic text for the Old Testament. The Masoretic text is in Hebrew. If you look into this text, you will find at Exodus 6:3 the spelling for God's name.

I find it odd that only a few mystery schools, etc. know about this. Sad.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 20-01-2020, 03:20 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
It's irrelevant what name is used, why waste energy trying to work it out. We have different terms of endearments which we use towards our loved ones, no problem.
Hmmm.. perhaps not. When I hear "God" I tend to think more of a caring or loving "father" or "parent" if you prefer. One who loves me unconditionally and wants only good for me. On the other hand, the term "Lord" tends to bring about a vision of a "King". One to be feared and obeyed. Maybe this is just a reflection of me, or maybe it points to a deeper division in thought and conception throughout the Bible and religions in general. Is God an omniscient and omni-benevolent creator and shepard of souls, or is he a petty tyrant throwing tantrums and setting up his toy soldiers and knocking them down and melting them with his Bic lighter if they displease him. Perhaps how one conceives of God has more to do with the mind that holds the conception than it does with any truth about God.
Old 20-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Master
You seem to be getting the point.

LORD and God are not names.

Can you imagine referring to all of the Hindu Gods/gods, not by name, but by such diverse words such as LORD or God?

What word would be given to Shiva?

Maybe "Destroyer"?

But then some might confuse "Destroyer" with a war ship.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 20-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Master

you can both be right!

on one level it doesn't matter what the name is. if there is only one being, it doesn't seem essential. even less so than Sky's example with relatives as we need different names when there is more than one but not when there is only one

on the other it does matter because there is a mystery in the name of God that is all over the bible

To focus only on the sound the name makes, or on impossibility of there being such a sound would be to miss the mystery

Ketzer also your point would mean that God would appear to change as the mind that conceived of him changes and grows. But it isn't God that is changing.
Old 20-01-2020, 03:56 PM
ketzer

Quote:

Can you imagine referring to all of the Hindu Gods/gods, not by name, but by such diverse words such as LORD or God?

Maybe "Destroyer"?

Yes. Always a problem when expressing the infinite through the finite.

"The Tao that can be told of is not the eternal Tao; The name that can be named is not the eternal name. The Nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth; The Named is the mother of all things" The Tao Te Ching
Old 20-01-2020, 04:03 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin

Ketzer also your point would mean that God would appear to change as the mind that conceived of him changes and grows. But it isn't God that is changing.
Yes, it is not God that changes, only the degree of perfection in ones knowledge of God. Therein perhaps lies our motivation to acquire the knowledge of good and evil. God is good, how can I know this more perfectly, how can I find my way back to the source from which I came?
Old 22-01-2020, 04:31 AM
Master
Quote:

Maybe "Destroyer"?

One common Hebrew expression that gets transliterated as Elohim Yahweh; gets translated as God LORD.

What does the expression God LORD mean?

To make things more confusing, another common Hebrew expression that gets transliterated as Yahweh Elohim; gets translated as LORD God.

What does the expression LORD God mean?

Old 22-01-2020, 05:23 AM
MAYA EL

They say that if you know the real name of God you will have the power to defeat any spirit/ demon and they say king Solomon knew this name and so many people guess and guess yet are wrong and like any good riddle the answer is in the story yet no one can see it.
Old 22-01-2020, 03:58 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Elohim IS a name for God used in the Hebrew Bible.
“In the beginning [Elohim] created the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 1:1). The name Elohim occurs over 2,500 times in the Tanakh.

I understand, MANY either refuse or don't know that the God of the Israelites has a Name. but "GOD" ,"LORD", and "ELOHIM" are TITLES, not a name! Jehovah God gave Moses his PERSONAL NAME, to give to his people. some Bible versions says "JEHOVAH", the Bible MANY claim is accurate.... Authorized (King James Version, (Exo. 6:3 and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them).

others uses the name "YAHWEH" , Lexham English version ,(Exodus 6:3 And I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as God Shaddai, but by my name Yahweh I was not known to them). he wants everyone to know his name.