Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 20-06-2014, 12:41 AM
ImManOnMoon

Newly identified Buddhist looking for some advise.

I'm finding it very difficult to find enlightenment or even to start on the path towards it or any kind of peace of mind. Been difficult to meditate even.

In fact I've been quite irritable lately too, which I know is from my newly estranged sleep schedule. I work from 10pm to 6 am and don't get to sleep till about 7 and wake up at 5 pm and when I wake up I'm just in a bummer mood (current)
I can feel myself on the verge of depression
but I don't want to be.

I could just use a friend right now, I guess.

I'm alll kinds of confused right now.

Old 20-06-2014, 12:42 AM
ImManOnMoon

Lightbulb

I should do some art.
Old 21-06-2014, 02:30 AM
Master
You can find alot on youtube and google about meditation
how to master the breath and so on .
Give yourself the chance , it's never easy when we begin something new
what ever it is .
The fact that you know you need this is a good sign you are on the right path .
Good luck my friend .
Old 21-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImManOnMoon
I'm finding it very difficult to find enlightenment or even to start on the path towards it or any kind of peace of mind. Been difficult to meditate even.

In fact I've been quite irritable lately too, which I know is from my newly estranged sleep schedule. I work from 10pm to 6 am and don't get to sleep till about 7 and wake up at 5 pm and when I wake up I'm just in a bummer mood (current)
but I don't want to be.

Perhaps enlightenment is a condition as a resulted of liberation from emotion not from creation of emotion ...so the more you have desire to "be enlightened" , this will cause creation of more emotion and will lead into longer journey into self realization ......perhaps in " enlightenment" one will no longer having any emotion of desire , love , fear , greed , ego etc ........perhaps if one understand , realize , accept or aware Buddhism , one will be less suffering or joy in any condition .......
Old 21-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Experiencer
Hi ImManOnMoon,

Try this simple Buddhist Meditation series by Ajahn Jayasaro on You Tube. Each video is only about 5 minutes in length.

This one is the introduction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7a9Ur2x0o

with best wishes,

Sam
Old 21-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Master
certainly night shifts can mess your body up. id see if i could change or certainly don't let it be longterm. the organ phases that are highest at night; liver, gallbladder, lungs, colon, are used to regenerating whilst the body sleeps. the day organs are used to regenerating whilst you're awake. its not healthy.

health is very important in all this. put that straight first. eat organically and healthy, learn tai chi maybe. get the basics sorted and then relaxation mediatation etc will come easier hopefully. health is important on the spiritual path.

also enlightenmernt can't be sought i don't think. it needs space to happen, i.e. no ideas, conclusions etc. there is nothing you can do mentally to aid enlightenment. the doer must see that any action from a state where one drop of conflict exists can only create the same. the doer must end because he sees the pointlessness of acting on himself from conflict. seeing the false frees the true but if you seek truth you'll find the opposite. stated but is conjecture though potentially one can have a logical understanding of enlightenment whilst you're not there. many people confuse a persons logical understanding with meaning they have the real thing.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 22-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Master
My 20s were the worse, gack. Find a career with normal working hours would be my advice, first and foremost. Life is dark enough at that age without having to work and spend your waking hours in darkness.
Old 22-06-2014, 11:23 AM
ImManOnMoon

thanks all you guys. So much help. Those were all the words and sentences I was looking for. My mood has gotten much better. It did the night I posted this.
Pretty much like you said Vecta3. I noticed that I was desiring enlightenment, which I knew was wrong. And I felt better in an instant. My job is killing me. I've only been at it for a week now, but it's taking a toll.
I'm hoping to land a job at a small community market here soon.

Again thanks a lot.
Old 22-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImManOnMoon

Quote:
but I don't want to be.

Man, the night hours... it's not ideal but i guess it has to be done for now. I did it for years, myself, and it made me pretty moody, too.
Old 28-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Masons Child

It would also be helpful if you find a local Buddhist community. Most decent size towns have a Temple or at least a group of some kind. People supporting you is invaluable.