Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Soulmates & Twin Flames

Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
spaghetti

E for Ego

A subject which may interest you...

What do you think is the role of the ego is TF relationships?

Last edited by spaghetti : 10-05-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 PM
konrard

The ego is a thought, quite literally. It is a fearful thought. It is the thought of fear and separation, from which all other egoic thoughts arise.

Quote:
So wouldn't surrendering one's ego= surrendering one's identity and belief systems? And wouldn't this defeat the point of individualism? or self-respect even?

yes, but individuality is a lie to begin with. we are really all the same. the ego wants to cover this up and convince us we are all different and special.

Quote:
Also, to what extent ought the ego be surrendered? Surely it's all grey matter, it's all subjective, is it not?

eventually? completely. does this make you uncomfortable? if so, I will tell you that you do not have to let go of it right now. its perfectly okay. there is no rush, and nothing bad will happen to you if you dont let go of it.

Quote:
More precisely, how does one 'surrender' their ego without losing self-respect and sense of propriety?

first the ego and its reasons for existing must be understood. the unreality of the ego must be understood. the insanity of the ego must be understood. then you must understand that you are letting nothing go, in gain of EVERYTHING.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Master
Quote:
first the ego and its reasons for existing must be understood. the unreality of the ego must be understood. the insanity of the ego must be understood. then you must understand that you are letting nothing go, in gain of EVERYTHING.

Oooh this is interesting. seriously ~ how can you briefly sum up how go about saying byebye to one's ego? (ty)

I mean, Freud invented the word didn't he? All psychology is 'imaginary' in a sense...?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM
konrard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
Oooh this is interesting. seriously ~ how can you briefly sum up how go about saying byebye to one's ego? (ty)

The ego has two big fears.

1.) Looking upon your inner guilt (which is the reason for ego thoughts to exist)

however, the ego's greatest fear...

2.) Is that when you look inside... that you might find NO guilt whatsoever... this is the ego's greatest fear, for it keeps itself alive through guilt and blame

To go about saying bye bye to the ego? Its as simple as one word: forgiveness

not just simple forgiveness, advanced forgiveness. true forgiveness. forgive yourself, everyone else, the world, the ego, everything. after that, realize that you didn't need to forgive anything because it never really happened. they were all just thoughts. get rid of your guilt, and there goes your ego.

and about the imaginary thing, yes the ego is imaginary. this is all imaginary, but it must be done because we are imagining we are ruled by the ego.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Master
ty konrard.

After reading it, it sounds simple enough, heh. And then there's my thoughts of well isn't that kind of the same thing as conscience? Maybe not...? I think we need conscience but idk if you consider ego and conscience hand in hand w/each other...

If it is possible to do that, and I guess you believe you've accomplished that getting rid of your ego, what would the world be like if we all were able to dispense with our egos? Seems like it would be a rather large change?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
konrard

Quote:
After reading it, it sounds simple enough, heh. And then there's my thoughts of well isn't that kind of the same thing as conscience? Maybe not...? I think we need conscience but idk if you consider ego and conscience hand in hand w/each other...

If it is possible to do that, and I guess you believe you've accomplished that getting rid of your ego, what would the world be like if we all were able to dispense with our egos? Seems like it would be a rather large change?

After reading the definition of conscience I would say you are right, it would attribute to guilt and those same thoughts. It is just not a term I am familiar with or use a lot.

Actually, I have not accomplished that. I am not completely rid of my ego thoughts. I am on that path, and have become much happier as a result, but I am by no means a master yet. There would be a large change in the world if we got rid of our egos. The world we see now is full of suffering, fear, and separation.

I have experienced being out of my body, outside of this universe. This happened when I was able to completely suspend my ego for a few minutes. However, I was not strong enough to keep it going for long. I started to fall back into ego thoughts and became afraid of leaving my body. The experience is beyond ecstacy, joy, and peace though. If I could be there all the time, I would. If we got rid of our ego's, we would be able to experience this whenever we wanted.

And who knows what else can come from that experience? It is a place we all once were before this world, and we can return. Im sure it is entirely possible for us to project a love-based universe, just like we projected this fear-based one.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Master
Quote:
I have experienced being out of my body, outside of this universe. This happened when I was able to completely suspend my ego for a few minutes. The experience is beyond ecstacy, joy, and peace. If we got rid of our ego's, we would be able to experience this whenever we wanted.

And who knows what else can come from that experience? It is a place we all once were before this world, and we can return. Im sure it is entirely possible for us to project a love-based universe, just like we projected this fear-based one.

That sounds truly wonderful. Shrug ~ I'm afraid I have to admit, the thought of AP'ing scares me, even though I love to fall asleep and dream at night, kinda knowing that we're all AP'ing when we dream. Right?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
konrard

Quote:
That sounds truly wonderful. Shrug ~ I'm afraid I have to admit, the thought of AP'ing scares me, even though I love to fall asleep and dream at night, kinda knowing that we're all AP'ing when we dream. Right?

Right, it is really scary. When I left my body I can tell you what it was like. It was like I was looking into a microscope, and the slide changed. The slide being what I saw before leaving my body. After leaving, the edges of my vision disappeared. I began to enter a different place, that was full of geometric patterns. This is when I got scared, and started to feel my heart pounding as if it was going to jump out of my chest. I was scared of losing my life and my identity. It scared the $#*% out of me. But looking back, I miss the experience, and cant wait to have it again.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
konrard

However, I would like to add that this fear is unfounded :)

our life and identities are something we are going to eventually lose any way, so why try to hold on to that which is temporary? when we attach ourselves to that, we lose the power of knowing we are eternal. years of attaching yourself to that, though, takes the illusion of time to undo.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
spaghetti

But surely the ego is present to keep one 'safe' in society.

I guess it is possible to apply this 'ego-mentation' to a variety of contexts.

Have you not considered the possibility that the ego is there for a reason? To protect oneself from harms way?

Last edited by spaghetti : 10-05-2011 at 07:13 PM.