Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 27-11-2023, 06:45 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
No, change your mind and your brain will follow.... not my opinion but my experience

Ah that's cool to picture the mind as independent of the brain which creates thoughts!
Old 27-11-2023, 07:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
1 corinthians 1:27:

But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty

I presume this verse is about Godly wisdom and and worldly wisdom...
Old 27-11-2023, 08:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
Ah that's cool to picture the mind as independent of the brain which creates thoughts!

Nothing is independent of anything else, everything that exists is dependent on other things.
You don't need to 'picture' the mind but some say visualisation helps in transformation or re-wiring...... whatever works for you....
Old 27-11-2023, 04:42 PM
Master

The way I see it I am not my mind, not my brain, not my thoughts, not my body. But for this life I am sure mixed up in all of those things. But I think that's the point of all these religious and spiritual teachers. How to deal with this situation we all are in at the moment.

I myself think all effort is pointless. To do something. I think it is more about understanding (or seeing) non-verbally in the now what I am in relation to the content I am aware of.

Like if thoughts pop up we normally accept them and feel the truth of them. Feel like whatever the thoughts are presenting is some kind of realty or truth. Like the thought I want union with God. I think the acceptance of a thought like that automatically cuts us off from God. It creates an idea of myself or "I" as a concept or mental fabrication. In other words, I am picturing myself as a thing, a concept mentally, which means I am focusing on thought to present reality. To me that's a "sin" or missing the mark. As I think realty is what exists prior to an idea or mental interpretation of it.

But I think most live life through ideas. Letting thought pull them around like a dog on a leash. I think some religious and spiritual teachers have found a way to be here now free from all identification with the content fed to us by our brain or mind. I don't think that creates any kind of void as we do exist and have all kinds of attributes which I believe are from God or the source. I think we are more ourselves, not less, by escaping the prison bars of mind.
Old 27-11-2023, 10:26 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
I presume this verse is about Godly wisdom and and worldly wisdom...

I was just responding to your answer-as-a-quote with my own answer-as-a-quote???? but honestly with the as-above-as-below thing going on I figure anything you can say spiritually has a physical analogue, and vice versa....
Old 27-11-2023, 10:48 PM
Master

i have used the body-as-a-car metaphor.... when you get too mixed up in thinking that is what you ARE it is like reliving the fall lol...

that said a lot of people find their cars can be fun anyway...

effort may be pointless, but on the other hand what are ya gonna do with your time? Anyway a lot of the time I realize I am going to a great deal of effort so that in the end I can say I am not going to any effort... and I wonder if I'm going to go to effort anyway isn't that just a bit misplaced?

but im cursed anyway, i am full of effort to remain 'present' even for short periods lol...

I think some can say they are more in tune with 'this' or with 'that'.... but i think it is because they've studied and gone to effort and learned a lot of conditioning that allow them to be more in tune with 'this' or with 'that'... so what I see is that fact they value being in tune with 'this' or with 'that' couldn't have happen without all the effort and study they put in, and the conditioning they received as a result and are still living with.

And I think further that if they honestly tried to remove the conditioning (which they won't do because in their ledgers it is an asset not a liability even when they can see they are doing it) they would also be removing their ability to be 'in tune' with the things they have come to find it valuable to be 'in tune' with. And who dares look at themselves closely enough to even begin to think that giving up a lifetime or lifetimes of efforts and the fruits of all those labors might be after all the best way to proceed? Much less does it?
Old 28-11-2023, 07:17 AM
Master
Quote:

effort may be pointless, but on the other hand what are ya gonna do with your time? Anyway a lot of the time I realize I am going to a great deal of effort so that in the end I can say I am not going to any effort... and I wonder if I'm going to go to effort anyway isn't that just a bit misplaced?

Equilibrium work's well for me personally, there's a time for choosing to make an effort and a time for effortless effort where less means more..
Old 28-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Glenda

I will go with your point that one belongs with spirituality and while other to physically.
Old 28-11-2023, 04:01 PM
Master

Quote:
effort may be pointless, but on the other hand what are ya gonna do with your time?

Help people, serve others, do stuff to make others lives better, work to eliminate suffering in the world (and in oneself). Think about others more than you think about yourself. I think one great thing about Jesus's teachings was he emphasized these things. I think some of the self centered ideas about pursuing "spiritual greatness" came from eastern religions. Work on yourself, think about yourself, meditate and have great spiritual experiences for yourself. Me, me, me right. How do "I" get this or that spiritual thing, achieve self-centered pleasure in some form from spirituality.

I think self-centered effort is the given. I think it is the go-to state of human (body/mind identified), consciousness. To not live as the internal self-centered thought stream, that applies effort to some kind of thoughts of a my past/future time line, takes understanding, wisdom, higher awareness in the now.

I think one simple point of it is to believe or think there is "more" I can be creates a conflict in the now. If we are creating conflict in the now, though these self-centered thoughts and thinking, nothing is preventing us from God union or realization except our acceptance of ideas like these. We are creating the separation and conflict. Nothing is preventing inner and outer peace except ourselves. We are telling ourselves we are not enough, that now is not enough.

I think effort involves time. Time is needed to move from here to there, this to that. Time is an illusion as the only place we are and will ever be is now. The future is a place to look for some things. But to find the truth of self and consciousness the only place one can look is now. And in the now the question is what am I creating now to be? I think if I entertain ideas there is "more" spiritually I can get for myself, then I have created the now to be self-centered and focused, and accepted an idea I need to do something, make an effort to move from what I believe myself to be now or what I believe now is, to what I want it to be. But we are all creating what now is! One does not need to make an effort to change the now. The now changes when we realize we are the ones making it what it is.

I think there is a difference between wanting to change through effort (which needs an awareness identified with the mental mind stream as reality) to one that realizes it not what I need to do, it is what I need to stop doing (focusing on thought and self-centeredness)

I think these are 2000 year old ideas and realizations:

Matthew 16:25 For anyone who keeps his life for himself shall lose it. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.

And Miester Eckhart who said one has to live without self centeredness.

Can we stop thinking about ourselves and realize what we are instead of what we want to be? Realizing what we are, what we are doing in the now, changes what we are, and what we are doing. Ego or a self centered person cannot change itself as self centered and focused is all it can be. I think effort is the way ego attempts to change. Understanding and seeing (which is not an effort to do, it is a doing - effort involves time, looking at now requires no time) but understanding and seeing can be conceptualized or thought of as "effort" to an ego identified consciousness. Is noticing one is listening or focusing on the internal thought stream an effort? Who or what is making the effort? As soon as you add an idea of doing it as opposed to just doing it you are then focusing once again on the thought stream as self.

They put these ideas into star wars.

“Do or do not. There is no try” Yoda

To try is to introduce time. If you introduce time you add a mental idea of self. A mental idea of self always involves a consciousness that is identifying with the internal mental thought stream as me or self (in the now). It means I am focusing on ideas in the now. Time requires an idea added to now. It's not what we need to do, it is what we are doing. The doing is focusing on thought or mind. When we notice we are focusing on an idea and that this is optional, we find we have not only changed what we are, the entire experience of what now is changes. We are free and realize we were both the jailer and the prisoner. We were not the means to find freedom, we were the ones holding the door closed.
Old 28-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Master
Quote Maisy.
[ I think some of the self centered ideas about pursuing "spiritual greatness" came from eastern religions. Work on yourself, think about yourself, meditate and have great spiritual experiences for yourself. Me, me, me right. How do "I" get this or that spiritual thing, achieve self-centered pleasure in some form from spirituality.]

Can you point out please which Eastern Religions your referring to, I have never personally noticed but mybe I've misssed something out....
Thanks..