Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 21-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Experiencer
Is it egotistical to desire fame?

Hi
After years of healing and working on myself I feel like I am finally working out what I want from my life and making plans to get there. However, upon thinking and contemplating, I have come to the realization that I want fame. This is something I have never consciously thought about before. But for some reason it is something which I desire.

I have always kind of viewed fame in a bad light. So I have no idea why I want it. I was wondering if acquiring 'fame' is purely a egotistical desire to be seen by others? Or can this desire genuinely come from a more real place?

I hope I am making some sense with this. Thanks.
Old 21-09-2016, 05:14 PM
Master

All of us want to be acknowledged, or said another way most people do not like being ignored. Fame, in my opinion, is attention seeking; it says “look at me," and we have all heard of people who are famous for being famous and nothing more. Fame can be sought after in many ways and I think whether it may be good or bad depends on what a person does with it. The saying goes it is okay to have a big heart but not okay to have a big head. Whether fame is egotistical or not depends on the person who has fame and how they handle it. Mahatma Gandhi was famous and so was Mother Theresa. In my opinion fame is best when it is given by others and not sought after by oneself.
Old 21-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Deactivated Account
If you know how to deal with fame, I think it could be an extraordinary experience. Nothing's wrong with being famous, as well as with egocentric needs we all have.
For some people it can be a great support, for others can be devastating.
Old 21-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Knower

I'd have to agree with you and say it is egotistical to desire fame. If a person does good to a lot of people and becomes famous that is different since he didn't do it for fame; he did it out of a selfless desire to serve humanity.

Having said that, I won't say that you shouldn't go for it if you really desire it. Your soul may want to learn something from the experience of being famous.

I personally believe that old souls have experienced everything from being a beggar in a past life to being famous/very wealthy or powerful in other lives; we have learned lessons from all these experiences.
Old 21-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Ascender

I would say it is not truly a matter of ego, but an obscurity by ego (maybe).. what you truly looking for out of fame, what qualities of such an experience are you really desiring.. like think if it can be achieved in other ways--

Let's be real, real progress is made through fame; that major things occur that effect everything-- If you think you are unable to consciously help this world, through enjoying those things considered forbidden; lol, something like a young soul whom thinks its an elder one-- Like we are working on this planet actively, if you learn one thing; learn that consequences always depends on the circumstance in its entirety--

But to be sincere enough about it? like you should absolutely know why, know if there are other ways to go about it, and to consider your absolute sense of why in guidance to the best method of achieving your purpose--
Old 21-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySG
I have always kind of viewed fame in a bad light. So I have no idea why I want it. I was wondering if acquiring 'fame' is purely a egotistical desire to be seen by others? Or can this desire genuinely come from a more real place?
If the ego is the embodiment of all that is bad and undesirable (a bit Victorian) then no, you should either cut out your ego with a chainsaw or kill it. If your ego is the point of origin for your experiential awareness, go for it. If it's something you desire then you're 'tuning in' to your Higher Self a little more. Fame is simply the context in which you experience your reality the same as Spirituality is.
Old 22-09-2016, 02:33 AM
Knower

I do not know if it is egotistical.

I just believe that, if your greatest goal is to improve the human condition, and you are willing to do the very best you can with that (whatever that means to you), then the rest is just details.

Martin Luther King Jr. would not have done very much for society if he never became famous. Did he want to become famous? I'm not too concerned with the answer to that question. I'm certainly glad that he became famous, one way or another.
Old 22-09-2016, 05:30 AM
Pathfinder

I agree with Starman. Everyone wants to be acknowledged, respected, cared about, to be considered to have "value" etc.

Our society though has a multi-million dollar industry centered around sanctioned stalking of celebrities. People like to fantasize about people they don't know and pretend that it has some bearing on them. We tend to think of it as normal but it's kinda not. There's a twistedness to it.

1) If you're famous you'll have to wonder whether everyone you meet is just trying to use you or trying to ride your fame, etc.
2) People will use frivolous lawsuits/cheat you/mislead you in an attempt to extract money from you.
3) Your whole life gets exposed to a society where a not insignificant portion of it will spend hours trying to find some flaw or some wrongdoing to tear you down and if they can't they'll just make stuff up.
4) Even normal people who would otherwise not cause you problems will give you a hard time because you stand out.
5) You'll never ever again just be "left alone" Even after your death. People still badmouth George Washington for owning slaves, being a racist and breaking laws.
6) The crazies.
7) None of it is real. Anything that people might admire about "you" only exists to them as an image, they don't know you so they can never experience real feelings for you. Only shallow emotions based on a presented image.

I've thought about this myself and came to the conclusion that you'd have to be insane to want to be famous (Well knowing the consequences anyway.)
Old 22-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Experiencer
Thanks for advice and insights guys. I think I have my answer ;)
Old 22-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Knower

One good thing with fame is that you are touching a lot of people's lives. The more lives you touch, the more famous and wealthy you become. If you are touching people in a positive way I see nothing wrong with it. I think you just need to rephrase it in your mind. For instance, look at Oprah or Tony Robbins. I'm sure neither of them wanted to go after fame, but they both wanted to positively affect a lot of people. They were so good at what they did, that fame and money came along with it. Seeking fame is all about you and your ego. Wanting to positively affect a lot of people is about the people, not you and your ego. Then fame naturally comes.