Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 13-09-2015, 09:32 AM
fritz

Am I doing meditation right?

Hi.

Have been meditating for almost a year now and I am loving it. I first started out focusing on my thoughts for 20 minutes a day (I learned meditation from Actualized.org tutorial). I got very good side effects and my life became so much easier. I ended up scamping for some months with my meditation practice and my emotional life kind of went downhill for a while. I recognized what was the cause and I started meditating an hour a day 3 months ago. When I re-started, the effects was amazing. I began reading interesting self help books at my own initiative and worked on myself a lot. But suddenly the meditation did not work as well as it did earlier.

The thing is, when I started to meditate an hour a day I focused on my breath. I had a bit monkey mind at first, but then my concentration went up and I could be very focused. Even though the concentration was great, the effects of the meditation wasn’t there like it used to be. I noticed when I meditated I used very forced concentration. Once a distraction came up, I forced my mind back on the breath instantly. I was very focused, to the part where you start focusing with your eyes and tighten the muscles around them. I could concentrate on my breath without any interruption for very long periods. My thoughts stopped but I feel like I didnt get the awareness.

Some days ago I analyzed the way I practiced my meditation. And my conclusion was that I was forcing to much concentration on my object of mediation. I read this on buddahnet.net, "Too much effort makes the mind restless, while too much fixed concentration restricts the attention to a single point thereby losing moment-to-moment awareness.".

When I meditate now, I focus mildly but determined on my breath. It is like where I notice my breath and try to focus on it, but sometimes thoughts arise and my focus wanders off, then the mindfulness kicks in takes my focus back to the breath. At that point I simply notice I had a thought (is this the right way?). When a thought that has a negative emotional impact on me arises, I quickly realize it is just a thought. What happens next is that the emotional power these thoughts have on me shrinks (I can feel it in my chest). When it comes back again, it shrinks even more.

The way I did it before was like: my focus must not wander off, my focus must not wander off, my focus must not wonder off. I didnt think it but it was my mentalt attitude.

I have read «Mindfulness in plain english» by Bhante Gunaratana. Is this a good book? (Is there other good books?)
Am I doing my meditation practice the most effective way now?
How do I know the right way to balance concentration and mindfulness?
Old 13-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz
Hi.

Have been meditating for almost a year now and I am loving it. I first started out focusing on my thoughts for 20 minutes a day (I learned meditation from Actualized.org tutorial). I got very good side effects and my life became so much easier. I ended up scamping for some months with my meditation practice and my emotional life kind of went downhill for a while. I recognized what was the cause and I started meditating an hour a day 3 months ago. When I re-started, the effects was amazing. I began reading interesting self help books at my own initiative and worked on myself a lot. But suddenly the meditation did not work as well as it did earlier.

The thing is, when I started to meditate an hour a day I focused on my breath. I had a bit monkey mind at first, but then my concentration went up and I could be very focused. Even though the concentration was great, the effects of the meditation wasn’t there like it used to be. I noticed when I meditated I used very forced concentration. Once a distraction came up, I forced my mind back on the breath instantly. I was very focused, to the part where you start focusing with your eyes and tighten the muscles around them. I could concentrate on my breath without any interruption for very long periods. My thoughts stopped but I feel like I didnt get the awareness.

Some days ago I analyzed the way I practiced my meditation. And my conclusion was that I was forcing to much concentration on my object of mediation. I read this on buddahnet.net, "Too much effort makes the mind restless, while too much fixed concentration restricts the attention to a single point thereby losing moment-to-moment awareness.".

When I meditate now, I focus mildly but determined on my breath. It is like where I notice my breath and try to focus on it, but sometimes thoughts arise and my focus wanders off, then the mindfulness kicks in takes my focus back to the breath. At that point I simply notice I had a thought (is this the right way?). When a thought that has a negative emotional impact on me arises, I quickly realize it is just a thought. What happens next is that the emotional power these thoughts have on me shrinks (I can feel it in my chest). When it comes back again, it shrinks even more.

The way I did it before was like: my focus must not wander off, my focus must not wander off, my focus must not wonder off. I didnt think it but it was my mentalt attitude.

I have read «Mindfulness in plain english» by Bhante Gunaratana. Is this a good book? (Is there other good books?)

What you describe in your current practice and its effects is 'right' (as you put it.)

First you intend 'I will observe breath'. When you realise mind wandered off the breath, you simultaneously remember breath and attention will return. The mind will follow the intent. You're not really doing anything; you're just aware of it happening. It's like letting the attention settle on the breath
Old 18-09-2015, 02:01 PM
voljen

I think it consist of discipline, healthy living and also a sound mind, sound attitude and good acts. It will resonate all over you don't worry.
Old 18-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Master
Hi Fritz,

Quote:

Don't believe that. A very powerful practice is called Calm Abiding which is looking at a rock or a candle. A very popular method with a fixed point of concentration.

Quote:

Here is the thing with meditation. It doesn't matter if you are doing breath or mantra or watching thoughts.. it is all the same.

Let's say we are using our breath. We can use the feel of the breath leaving our nostrils or the rise and fall of our belly.

We focus on our belly let's say. We are noticing our belly is rising and falling and then the next thing we know we are gone.. lost in thoughts. When we notice this we gently at whatever level we are at go back to our breath.

It is the space between when we are on our breath and when we notice we were off our breath that we found our inner silence. The space between.

The objective is not to stay focused on our breath. The objective is to let go and observe our breath, lose it and gently come back to it.

Over time the space between our inner silence grows and grows.

Trying to control it, our thoughts, our focus is a sure fire way of going nowhere.

Meditation and all the scenery included in it is a lesson in letting go. If in doubt let go.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Old 18-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Master

There are many different ways of meditation.
Finding out what kind of practice fits you best can take some time. Patience is a good trait.
Because everyone is unique, what works for the one doesn't have to fit the other.
In my opinion, a guideline in the case of meditation is, if it feels good, it's ok.
Old 19-09-2015, 01:18 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Hi Fritz,

Don't believe that. A very powerful practice is called Calm Abiding which is looking at a rock or a candle. A very popular method with a fixed point of concentration.

Last time someone mentioned it you dismissed their practice and put me down for saying that candle meditation is a valid practice.

Quote:
Here is the thing with meditation. It doesn't matter if you are doing breath or mantra or watching thoughts.. it is all the same.

Not true.

Quote:
Let's say we are using our breath. We can use the feel of the breath leaving our nostrils or the rise and fall of our belly.

We focus on our belly let's say. We are noticing our belly is rising and falling and then the next thing we know we are gone.. lost in thoughts. When we notice this we gently at whatever level we are at go back to our breath.

It is the space between when we are on our breath and when we notice we were off our breath that we found our inner silence. The space between.

The objective is not to stay focused on our breath. The objective is to let go and observe our breath, lose it and gently come back to it.

Over time the space between our inner silence grows and grows.

Trying to control it, our thoughts, our focus is a sure fire way of going nowhere.

Meditation and all the scenery included in it is a lesson in letting go. If in doubt let go.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Old 19-09-2015, 01:50 AM
Master
Ok so timely thread...

I have recently started meditating.
I seem to work two ways, consentrating on the energy of my body/building light,

Or well nothing but being blank. I guess I would call that watching thoughts as that is how it started but after a few thoughts I stop thinking.... I'm curious if it's to"nothing"

Like in meditation am I suppose to be sort of focusing on something or is quiet ok.

Disclaimer the lack of thoughts to watch does not indicate a low IQ. ;)
It seems my thoughts don't like being watched because they stop as soon as I start watching them. Lol
Old 19-09-2015, 02:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlow
Ok so timely thread...

I have recently started meditating.
I seem to work two ways, consentrating on the energy of my body/building light,

Or well nothing but being blank. I guess I would call that watching thoughts as that is how it started but after a few thoughts I stop thinking.... I'm curious if it's to"nothing"

Like in meditation am I suppose to be sort of focusing on something or is quiet ok.

Sometimes if mind is noisy then focus on something seems better, but quiet is the observer, you might say.

Quote:
Disclaimer the lack of thoughts to watch does not indicate a low IQ. ;)
It seems my thoughts don't like being watched because they stop as soon as I start watching them. Lol
Old 19-09-2015, 03:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Sometimes if mind is noisy then focus on something seems better, but quiet is the observer, you might say.
Thank you Gem. That helps a lot. :)
Old 19-09-2015, 03:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Last time someone mentioned it you dismissed their practice and put me down for saying that candle meditation is a valid practice.

Not true at all.

When I first came here I put down that meditation and I was wrong. I studied it and practiced both shine with object and shine without object. Within Dzogchen the next step would be Mahamudra.

I am a big fan of shine without object and Mahamudra.

I learned, practiced and help provide good resources on the subject.

With regard to your other comment we can just disagree ;)