Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 29-03-2014, 10:10 AM
The Librarian

Fading religion

The worship of Greek Gods and Goddesses, Celtic religions, Norse paganism, and probably a whole assortment of religions have been and gone since the beginning of human history. Many of these religions now aren't even acknowledged by many as being religions, and are instead referred to as Norse mythology, or Greek mythology, as opposed to actual religious beliefs and lifestyles.

These people clearly thought that their religions were the right ones, but this didn't stop the religions from being stamped out by other belief systems and labelled as something trivial.

What convinces the religious people on here that their religion is not going to go the same way as those countless religions before it? In a few thousand years people might look back on today's religions the same way, labeling them as Christian mythology, or Islamic mythology, or Jewish mythology.

What makes the religions today different to all those that have come and gone in the past?

I'm not religious, and I'm not a "religion basher". I don't condemn things like that and I think that if religion makes you happy, and doesn't harm anybody else, then great,

I'm not picking fights, I really am asking out of curiosity, and would be interested to hear how religious people following mainstream belief systems of today feel about this,

The Librarian
Old 30-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Naddread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian
The worship of Greek Gods and Goddesses, Celtic religions, Norse paganism, and probably a whole assortment of religions have been and gone since the beginning of human history. Many of these religions now aren't even acknowledged by many as being religions, and are instead referred to as Norse mythology, or Greek mythology, as opposed to actual religious beliefs and lifestyles.

These people clearly thought that their religions were the right ones, but this didn't stop the religions from being stamped out by other belief systems and labelled as something trivial.

What convinces the religious people on here that their religion is not going to go the same way as those countless religions before it? In a few thousand years people might look back on today's religions the same way, labeling them as Christian mythology, or Islamic mythology, or Jewish mythology.

What makes the religions today different to all those that have come and gone in the past?

I'm not religious, and I'm not a "religion basher". I don't condemn things like that and I think that if religion makes you happy, and doesn't harm anybody else, then great,

I'm not picking fights, I really am asking out of curiosity, and would be interested to hear how religious people following mainstream belief systems of today feel about this,

The Librarian

I'm not a follower of a "mainstream belief system" so there is probably no real point in me chiming in here but...

The 3 mainstream religions you mentioned are Salvationist religions whose doctrine relies on the historicity of certain events, people etc. as well as the belief that their is only one god and that the their salvation depends on that god.

I would say that that itself is the very reason they believe their religion wont go the same way. That, and it is the Salvationist religions that have been one of the main tools in stamping out the other traditions you spoke of.

Quote:
These people clearly thought that their religions were the right ones...

Those other traditions for the most part did not believe that their religion was right, it was more that they believed their religion to be right for them. A lot of the old, pre-Salvationist traditions weren't at all concerned with converting others, in fact it was generally the opposite. They were against outsiders practicing what was theirs (the non-outsider) culturally. There was a deep cultural connection with the gods, spirits and lands of ones kin and ancestors that could not magically (in the negative sense of the word) become someone else's simple because they read a few passages from a book and declared a belief in something that was half a day old to them.

~Naddread~
Old 30-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Ecthalion

I think that the reason the 'old religions' died out is because of the forced spread of the 'new religions.'
Christianity was spread, at first by missionaries, and then by the sword.
The same goes for Islam.
Today we see a revived interest in the 'old religions.' I think this is due to our 'spiritual' evolution. Ideas change. Look at churches now conducting gay marriages. That would be anathema to the early church.
I think that we are crawling, ever so slowly, towards a unified set of beliefs. This will be a mixture of all religions with the addition of scientific knowledge. But this may still be thousands of years away.
Old 30-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Naddread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
I think that we are crawling, ever so slowly, towards a unified set of beliefs. This will be a mixture of all religions with the addition of scientific knowledge. But this may still be thousands of years away.

Gods, I hope it's still further away than that. Hopefully it will never come about.

~Naddread~
Old 30-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddread
Gods, I hope it's still further away than that. Hopefully it will never come about.
I hope that it does come, the sooner the better.
When all the similarities of religions are recognised rather than the differences. The need for religious wars gone forever. The persecution of minorities for religious reasons ended.
My own opinion. I know it will not be favoured by some, but that's alright. Each to their own so long as they are causing no harm.
Old 31-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Naddread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
I hope that it does come, the sooner the better.
When all the similarities of religions are recognised rather than the differences. The need for religious wars gone forever. The persecution of minorities for religious reasons ended.
My own opinion. I know it will not be favoured by some, but that's alright. Each to their own so long as they are causing no harm.

The emphasized is all that is needed. If the critical mass genuinely adopted this attitude then there would be little need for a "unified set of beliefs", which I took to mean as kind of a one world religion. But if the unified "belief" that you are talking about was simply the genuine adoption of the "Non-Aggression Principle" then I can agree with you there.

~Naddread~
Old 31-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Ascender
Unified set of beliefs? Hell no. Sorry, but once again, Spiritualism is not my thing. Never will be.
I follow Ásatrú. Have done for a while now.
Old 31-03-2014, 11:21 AM
The Librarian

Out of interest, why are people for or against a unified belief-set?

The Librarian
Old 31-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Ecthalion

Quote:
Out of interest, why are people for or against a unified belief-set?
I'm for it because it will bring an end to hostilities amongst people who, for the most part, believe in the same things - ie. love, charity etc. - but disagree on the minor points such as should one eat pork, or is baptism necessary.
Old 31-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Master

I'm against a unified set of beliefs.

We all have different sets of baggage and different religions cater for different life callings and agendas.

I would also say, that where I am is where I am today. My spirituality is very fluid, so I may not be here in this mindset tomorrow or the next day or the next day. That may sound flakey, but I just know how my thinking has evolved and this might evolve as well.