Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 30-12-2013, 11:22 PM
LadyTerra

Purple Witches with Pink Polka Dots!!! :-O

Do we really need labels?

After all..."a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."! ;-D

Why are we (always) so driven toward finite definitions and do such things REALLY exist?
Old 30-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTerra
"a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Not if you call them stinkyblooms.

It does get irritating when people treat labels as facts without any thought behind it, but that doesn't mean that when proper labeling is an emotional need that it should be disrespected until the person forces themselves to transcend the label. That's not how people work.

Labels are part of an identity. There's a peculiar sort of suffering that can be alleviated just by having a word for what troubles you, and being able to talk about it. "Dysmorphia" "cultural appropriation" "misandry" "kyriarchy" -- these are all words that have illuminated the world for me.

For others, it can be "starseed" "spirit guide" "past-life regression" "numinous dream" "lucid dream" "sleep paralysis" "REM atonia". Without those labels, it'd just be a lot of very strange stuff happening that they can't make sense of, can't talk about, and that's painful.

That said, there are some--well, many--situations where people are being flat-out stupid about labels. Rather than do away with labeling itself, I'd rather just call people out on how they're doing it wrong.
Old 31-12-2013, 12:19 AM
LadyTerra

I believe that labeling can lead to stereo-typing and stereo-typing can become a dangerous and slippery slope into destructive behaviors--well documented behaviors--such as mass hysteria--that can lead to devastating consequences.

What are your thoughts?
Old 31-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Ascender

As I said, it can lead to harmful stereotyping, but it is also an emotional need that must not be denied. Identity is a need. Identification is a need. Communication is a need. Therefore, labeling is a need that must be respected.

It's not a perpetual need. Some people eventually grow out of the need to label, but you can't force them to skip to that stage.

Labeling itself isn't the problem, it's how it's used.
Old 31-12-2013, 11:27 AM
LadyTerra

Agreed--you cannot force anyone to stop labeling--any more than you can stop others from adopting labels--nor do I have to accept being labeled.

However--with definitions constantly changing--I question the validity of finite definitions--in fact--I question the practical reality of such a concept.

I believe each individual should have the right to define themselves and be free to entertain the concept that their own personal definition will grow, evolve, and change--as do they.

I think the attempt to stick everyone and everything into a neatly labeled little box--so that everything is tidy, organized, and comfortable--is delusional and can very well be deceptive.

(ie. wolves in sheep's clothing, false prophets, etc.)

I am interested in finding out how others perceive this topic.

BTW--here's hoping everyone has a very Happy New Year!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Master
"When I use a word, it means exactly what I want it to mean. neither more or less".
Alice in Wonderland.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Norseman:

And (now) we see why I never start threads. LOL

Sooooo...are you saying that you define your own words?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Master

Quote:
I believe each individual should have the right to define themselves and be free to entertain the concept that their own personal definition will grow, evolve, and change--as do they.

I think the attempt to stick everyone and everything into a neatly labeled little box--so that everything is tidy, organized, and comfortable--is delusional and can very well be deceptive.

Instead of saying "I follow the seasons by performing certain rites, perform full moon rituals written by a man named Gerald Gardner and his H. Priestess and also do magic and work within a coven etc...." wouldn't it be easier, offer more clarity and do away with the verbal diarrhea if one were to just say "I'm a Gardnerian Witch?"

And I definitely want GMO foods to be labelled so they can be avoided. (You did say everyone and everything!)

If people don't want to be labelled then that's their choice but I believe that a label (or should it be called a 'name") is certainly helpful to be able understand what and who the person is.

How would things and people be described and perceived/understood without a label/name, do you think?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Master
Quote:
And (now) we see why I never start threads. LOL

Sooooo...are you saying that you define your own words?

LadyT xx . Knowing what I mean is the responsibility of the reader, not mine !
Old 03-02-2014, 11:12 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Crow
Instead of saying "I follow the seasons by performing certain rites, perform full moon rituals written by a man named Gerald Gardner and his H. Priestess and also do magic and work within a coven etc...." wouldn't it be easier, offer more clarity and do away with the verbal diarrhea if one were to just say "I'm a Gardnerian Witch?"

And I definitely want GMO foods to be labelled so they can be avoided. (You did say everyone and everything!)

If people don't want to be labelled then that's their choice but I believe that a label (or should it be called a 'name") is certainly helpful to be able understand what and who the person is.

How would things and people be described and perceived/understood without a label/name, do you think?

Ahhh--but I have already revealed my thoughts.

However...unlike Norseman (International Man of Mystery)...I am willing to elaborate a bit further (although) I fear will only be reiterating what I have already said.

IMHO--a person's name is very different than being labeled by society.

I feel labeling (when it comes to beings) can lead to stereotyping and prejudice (at worst)--but (at the very least) leads to inaccuracies and misconceptions.

For instance--if I were to announce that--"I am a Gardnerian Witch." in my part of the world--I and my family would suffer many repercussions. We could lose our jobs--our pets would be in danger and even our family.

IMHO--each individual should be free to be and define themselves--and be free to redefine themselves (as they so choose).

What are your thoughts?