Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 18-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Master
Reincarnation in Buddhism

Has it always been part of the teachings of Buddhism ? Or did that come later ?

I remember debating on some things spiritual (quite a while ago), and people did not believe me when i said reincarnation is part of Buddhism. I knew this to be true, but when i looked it up, i found a certain portion of Japanese Buddhists believe in reincarnation, and that was the only "evidence" i had to confirm my point.
Old 18-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Experiencer

The Buddha taught reincarnation from the start. He taught that there is no soul though. That what we call a soul is actually just an ego.
Old 19-01-2017, 01:18 AM
Master
I think this is covered best in the Buddhist teachings about annata and santana. The 'rebirth' is pretty complex and comes up in several aspects of Buddhist philosophy, but perhaps anata (selflessness) and santana (roughly means personality) gives a pretty good overview.

http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell09.htm
Old 19-01-2017, 04:00 AM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorStrange

I remember debating on some things spiritual (quite a while ago), and people did not believe me when i said reincarnation is part of Buddhism. I knew this to be true, but when i looked it up, i found a certain portion of Japanese Buddhists believe in reincarnation, and that was the only "evidence" i had to confirm my point.

Sorry to disturb here DoctorStrange, you said: reincarnation in Buddhism. Is it that you talk about Tibetan Buddhism way of reincarnation or Buddha teaching to avoid reincarnation when you practice and believe in Buddhism? I think they're differences in their believe and practice.
Old 19-01-2017, 04:37 AM
Guide

There is no reincarnation in Buddhism. Reincarnation means the transmigration of one's essential substance, usually seen as the soul. Since Buddhism's Anatta (no soul) is one of its core principle it cannot possibly support reincarnation. This term was replaced by 'rebirth' and what is reborn are our patterns of behavior and thoughts.

This rebirth happens on an energetic level, we leave impressions and ideas behind which are picked up by other people sometimes long after death. In that way we are reborn even though no essence passes between people.

What is passed on affect us even before we are born. The French philosopher JP Sartre writes "Long before we are born, maybe even before we are conceived, our parents have already decided who you would be."
No soul has to pass between lives for this to work.
Old 19-01-2017, 05:05 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
There is no reincarnation in Buddhism. Reincarnation means the transmigration of one's essential substance, usually seen as the soul. Since Buddhism's Anatta (no soul) is one of its core principle it cannot possibly support reincarnation. ...

Quote:
... This term was replaced by 'rebirth' and what is reborn are our patterns of behavior and thoughts.

This rebirth happens on an energetic level, ...
Which opens the door to a contemporary metaphorical interpretation of 'rebirth' as the continual re-appearance of disturbing stressful behaviours, thoughts and emotions in the context of this life due to continual conditioning and continual failure to remove one's acquired conditionings.
Old 19-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorStrange

Buddhist do not believe in reincarnation, they teach ' Rebirth ' where our mental energy is re-established in a new body.

If you think about a candle flame being used to light another candle this might help you understand, the first flame gives rise to the second flame, they are separate candles yet the second candle flame came into being because of the first candle.

You can also think of a dying candle giving life to a new candle via the flame.
Old 19-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground

Which opens the door to a contemporary metaphorical interpretation of 'rebirth' as the continual re-appearance of disturbing stressful behaviours, thoughts and emotions in the context of this life due to continual conditioning and continual failure to remove one's acquired conditionings.
Correct, this is one way to expand the idea. The rebirth of patterns and behaviors. It is however not restricted to this life. The thoughts and ideas published anywhere, including this forum, may attract the attention and fascination of a person long after the original poster's death. If adopted then there is a 'rebirth' - but of what? Not you as a person but 'you' as a set of thoughts. It is not you who is reborn but in a very real sense it IS you who is reborn.

The foregoing also means that rebirth of 'you' can take place in many places and in many people. Your part may however be mixed with other part, there are relatively few original ideas. Your energy contributes to all other energies working in the same direction. It may the drop that makes the vessel to overflow.
Old 19-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Guide

"The only thing that one can leave behind in life is love for the world."
From a contemplation by Li Jun Feng, "WUJI YUAN GONG. A Return To Oneness"

I would add that it applies not only to the world but the whole cosmos and that by the same token some people leave hate and other negative emotions behind.
Old 19-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Master
Quote:
"The only thing that one can leave behind in life is love for the world."
From a contemplation by Li Jun Feng, "WUJI YUAN GONG. A Return To Oneness"

I would add that it applies not only to the world but the whole cosmos and that by the same token some people leave hate and other negative emotions behind.

We also leave behind a very important thing, our DNA.